PGA - LIV Merger: The Saudis Win

varies by situation IMHO

I'd reserve any ire for those who left then complained loudly about the consequences of leaving; trashed the PGA and now want back in.

There shouldn't have been any consequences for leaving.

They're throwing around outrageous contracts for soccer players. Right now it's for old players to play in the Saudi league. This isn't as big a threat, because the league is still very low quality and I don't see many players enjoying life in Saudi Arabia. But their clear determination to throw money around until they get their way is worrying to me.

Well the GOAT is headed to South Beach so **** the Saudis!!!!

Reactions: tvolsfan
We currently have two non NFL leagues active and they haven’t made a dent in NFL viewership. And “buying” golfers vs buying the best NFL talent to even form a couple of teams is a huge difference on investment
You trying to compare Saudi money with what the USFL and XFL are paying?

No i was comparing the piddly non elite golfers in the PGA with what “teams” of elite NFL players are making. I’ve no doubt they have the money. I don’t think they’re dumb enough to try and buy the NFL… or NBA… or MLB. That’s all

If they did buy an MLB team the other owners would quickly do away with the luxury tax and go to a hard salary cap. They would have to buy enough teams to control the owners vote.
The MLB Owners would never agree to sell them a team.

Reactions: hog88
No i was comparing the piddly non elite golfers in the PGA with what “teams” of elite NFL players are making. I’ve no doubt they have the money. I don’t think they’re dumb enough to try and buy the NFL… or NBA… or MLB. That’s all
I hope they buy the NBA. Imagine the endless lols.

Other than maybe basketball I don't see it. Baseball and Football are virtually nonexistent in the ME and Europe so what would be the reason.
I dont think the saudis care about a ME audience. The think being in charge of sports Americans and Europeans enjoy will a) make them money, b) maybe they think they can whitewash their image as supporters of terrorism and murderers through sports.

Last edited:
worse for the mid tier guys aren't already billionaires - they turned down life changing money and now they will watch the guys who took the money come right back into the tour.

it was a hostile takeover of a different form - the PGA picked a fight they couldn't win and got beat down
Those in a union would view the LIV players as 'scabs'.

The elite players that joined LIV received up to $200 million just to play. Not to mention 4 million to win each week and a no cut minimum of around $150,000 for DFL.

NFL team salary cap in $225 million.

What if this was China?

Do you think there would be more pushback if it were China? Particularly from the right?

Seems to be considerable pushback on this coming from the left. Is it because of Trump?

Just for the record, what is your reason for posting here?

Edit: just curious if you're a golfer.
I'm a decent golfer and have enjoyed watching professional golf since my early years with my Granddad.

Still hoping to check "Masters" off my bucket list.

Reactions: Vol423
The elite players that joined LIV received up to $200 million just to play. Not to mention 4 million to win each week and a no cut minimum of around $150,000 for DFL.

NFL team salary cap in $225 million.
Yep I know. There just are way more elite NFL and MLB players they’d have to attract is what I’m saying. Hey they do have the money but it would be one hell of an investment.

Yep I know. There just are way more elite NFL and MLB players they’d have to attract is what I’m saying. Hey they do have the money but it would be one hell of an investment.
My point was though……what if it happened? How would people react? Not that it will or won’t happen.

My point was though……what if it happened? How would people react? Not that it will or won’t happen.
Ok fair enough. I inferred the latter and I just don’t see that as any kind of possibility. For me I’d likely stay with the pro teams I follow now. I think it’s kinda hard to elevate the fan base of golf to NFL level to where they would abandon the franchise for a few players. Just my two cents on it

VN Store

Back