Philosophy

I love this kind of talk especially with the NFL comparisons...Seattle was fun to watch last year and if we play a similar style that's going to reap benefits in recruiting...especially with the Lorenzo Carter types...who prefer the 3-4...a season of running this scheme and we might be on them early
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yes, thank you! The Hawks run the LEO with Clemons to perfection. They don't play with a NT in a 4-3 like the Giants, Raiders, and Patriots do on running downs, but they bring the blitz like no other on passing downs. Our defense will be a mix between the Hawks aka LEO and the Giants, Raiders, Patriots aka NT in 4-3 on running downs. Another thing I'll clarify is when I say NT i mean someone who's 320 or better. Most 4-3 DT are 290-310. The Raiders, for example since I'm a huge fan, have a guy named Lamarr Houston who is 6-3 300 and plays SDE not DT in their 4-3. Their NT last year, who now plays for the Pats, was 6-6 325 in Tommy Kelly and Richard Seymour was the other DT who's 6-6 317. Their WDE was Andre Carter who's 6-4 260. As you can see, it fits with exactly what I'm saying our D will look like with Walls at SDE, McCullers at NT, Couch at DT, and Smith at WDE. Also, I think Carr fits this system perfectly as a hybrid SDE/DT depending on whether we are pass rushing or trying to stop the run. Barnett for 2014 fits really well here too just FYI.

Last edited:
I was going to mention Carr...big versatile piece that could shine like Derek Wolfe...now you got me really invested in getting Barnett now too...scheme talker

I really am expecting Jacques to shine in this system...Carr is so versatile you feel he can play just about any spot on the line and Hood he could be your Mr. Try Hard on the line. I really think the key here especially with the lack of proven depth in the secondary we are going to have to get pressure on opposing QBs.

Reactions: 1 person
I was going to mention Carr...big versatile piece that could shine like Derek Wolfe...now you got me really invested in getting Barnett now too...scheme talker

The biggest get would be Mosley. He'd slide right over to McCullers spot instantly. He'd start from day 1 here IMO.

I really am expecting Jacques to shine in this system...Carr is so versatile you feel he can play just about any spot on the line and Hood he could be your Mr. Try Hard on the line. I really think the key here especially with the lack of proven depth in the secondary we are going to have to get pressure on opposing QBs.

Smith will be key to our success this year, but if he doesn't produce right off he'll be replaced by Williams. Smith and Miller have endured so much here, so hopefully both can play key roles in this type of scheme their senior year. I'm not sure I really like Miller as a DT this year in this scheme, but I think he'd be a great WDE on rushing downs. We'll see and hope for the best.

The biggest get would be Mosley. He'd slide right over to McCullers spot instantly. He'd start from day 1 here IMO.

Unless he REALLY wants to be a guard at Bama

I feel we have a very special D-line situation this year, that if successful, could be implemented for years to come. Mt. MC is going to be full beast mode in a 4-3 set at 6-8/360. My take is we continue this setting after this year. My meaning by this is we continue to fill one of the DT spots with essentially a 3-4 NT. I feel with this philosophy our DT/NT will take up the G and RT spots at the same time to allow pressure up the middle by our SLB and by our SDE. Now by no means do I think we can continue to find find players Mt. MC size, but I do feel we can get players, JuCo or High School, that have the frame to carry weight at 325-345. If we can get this type of player every year I feel our defense can be really deadly. The NY Giants implement a system just like the one I'm speaking of. Their WDE have a lot of success getting sacks in this type of system. Another huge advantage of this is we can kick our WDE inside at DT and move the NT out on passing downs. This will allow us to add a pure pass rusher AKA the LEO position. Carr fits this bill to a T, as he can play WDE on running downs, and then kick inside on passing downs. In all, the central idea is to have a big WDE that weighs 280-290 for running downs along with a big NT thats weighs 325-345. On passing downs the NT goes out and the DT and WDE become the two new DTs along with a new LEO DE/LB hybrid who can line up on the line or standing up right over/under the LTs shoulder depending on the scheme.

For this year I see this:
1st and 2nd down plays:
SDE: Smith/Williams/Brown
NT: Mt.MC/Carson/Clark
DT: Couch/Miller/Hood/O'Brien/Saulsberry
WDE: Walls/Carr/Miller

3rd and pass plays:
WDE: Walls/Miller
DT: Couch/Hood
DT: Miller/Walls/Carr
LEO: Veeren/Lewis/Bynum

Lets go pure speculation here for 2014 assuming we continue to implement a NT type player in our front 4.

1st and 2nd down plays:
SDE: Williams/Brown
NT: Carson/Clark
DT: O'Brien/Saulsberry
WDE: Carr/Miller

3rd and pass plays:
WDE: Williams/Brown
DT: O'Brian/Carson
DT: Carr
LEO: Veeren/Lewis

Possible Freshman:

NT Mosley: 6-5/346
WDE Barnett: 6-3/265
SDE Hendrix: 6-5/255
DT Ford: 6-0/285
DT/NT Sawyers: 6-2/300

Who has this much time to think this crap up? Dude this is a website where we enjoy talking crap, talking Vols, and shooting the bull.

Let me guess, you are a middle school to high school coach who attended the coaching clinic at the great university and you are now equals to Coach Jones. You heard some terminology at the previously mentioned coaching clinic and now you need to spew those terms on us. Btw, McCullers would be called a 3 technique DT and not a player who can fill the G and RT spot. You need to work on your gap terms because you apparently didn't listen to Peyton at the clinic when he might have mentioned gap assignments (I am not a coach nor was I in attendance at the coaching clinic).

Lastly, if you were trying to say that we could recruit two gap players at DT and that would be revolutionary, then you're wrong. John Henderson and Haynesworth both told me that its been done at UT before and it works.

Who has this much time to think this crap up? Dude this is a website where we enjoy talking crap, talking Vols, and shooting the bull.

Let me guess, you are a middle school to high school coach who attended the coaching clinic at the great university and you are now equals to Coach Jones. You heard some terminology at the previously mentioned coaching clinic and now you need to spew those terms on us. Btw, McCullers would be called a 3 technique DT and not a player who can fill the G and RT spot. You need to work on your gap terms because you apparently didn't listen to Peyton at the clinic when he might have mentioned gap assignments (I am not a coach nor was I in attendance at the coaching clinic).

Lastly, if you were trying to say that we could recruit two gap players at DT and that would revolutionary the you're wrong. John Henderson and Haynesworth both told me that its been done at UT before and it works.

I know gap techniques. Also, I'm a 22 year old senior in college so good call on the middle school football coach. By trying to make me look foolish, you just embarrassed yourself. Good job :good!:

Reactions: 2 people

Lastly, if you were trying to say that we could recruit two gap players at DT and that would be revolutionary, then you're wrong. John Henderson and Haynesworth both told me that its been done at UT before and it works.

Lot of words typed just to say thinking makes your head hurt!

I know gap techniques. Also, I'm a 22 year old senior in college so good call on the middle school football coach. By trying to make me look foolish, you just embarrassed yourself. Good job :good!:

You showed that you know gaps man. I could telll it with your lack of terminology. And yes I should have said that you said too much for website that doesn't care. Perhaps you should do an independent study on it Mr. Senior. Are you sure that you're not a 26 year old senior who helps out at a local middle school?

You showed that you know gaps man. I could telll it with your lack of terminology. And yes I should have said that you said too much for website that doesn't care. Perhaps you should do an independent study on it Mr. Senior. Are you sure that you're not a 26 year old senior who helps out at a local middle school?

You seem bored...somebody throw a ball of yarn for him to paw at!

You seem bored...somebody throw a ball of yarn for him to paw at!

I am, man. It's Saturday and I have to discuss how this dude spent way too much time explaining what Coach Jones should do. I see you're equally as bored.

Last edited:
I am, man. It's Saturday and I have to discuss how this dude spent way too much time explaining what Coach Jones should do. I see you're equally as bored.

He was talking defensive scheme...it was interesting and I understood it...I'm trying to improve in that aspect...keckjm recently posted the best jiggly gif in the history of Volnation...so he's a multifaceted talent...deserves respect

Reactions: 2 people
Exactly what I'm thinking. I just believe McCullers comes out on passing downs and a pass rusher like Veeren comes in as a LEO DE on the right side.
3rd down will probably look like this:

De: Jacques Smith
DT: Maurice Couch
DT: Corey Miller or Marlon Walls
Leo: Corey Vereen/ Jordan Williams

He was talking defensive scheme...it was interesting and I understood it...I'm trying to improve in that aspect...keckjm recently posted the best jiggly gif in the history of Volnation...so he's a multifaceted talent...deserves respect

I lose interest when fans give their game planning perspective. A 22 year old cannot know defensive schemes that can apply at the college level. I understand that he lacks history by referencing it was a new scheme by inserting a two gap DT, but many teams implement a big DT in a 4-3.

I'm sorry if I came across as extremely sarcastic but it came across as extremely elementary and Maddenish to me. But hey, at least we are back to discussing what our coaching staff can do instead of talking about what thy can't do.

I lose interest when fans give their game planning perspective. A 22 year old cannot know defensive schemes that can apply at the college level. I understand that he lacks history by referencing it was a new scheme by inserting a two gap DT, but many teams implement a big DT in a 4-3.

I'm sorry if I came across as extremely sarcastic but it came across as extremely elementary and Maddenish to me. But hey, at least we are back to discussing what our coaching staff can do instead of talking about what thy can't do.

Did you recently get fired at the local YMCA for teaching little boys 1-7 gap techniques and past history of UT football? What is it with those people at the YMCA, geez, I'd love to have a unauthentic, simpleton person as yourself to teach my son football. I guess it's a good thing I don't have a son.

:hi:

Sounds like Sapp has really been coming on to take the 3rd LB spot -- this is assuming Maggitt has recovered enough to be back as one of the best two.

Sounds like Sapp has really been coming on to take the 3rd LB spot -- this is assuming Maggitt has recovered enough to be back as one of the best two.

Sapp and Brewer should be great OLBs for us. Both should be instant help on passing downs. We def need Maggit healthy though. Anyone heard how Christan Harris has looked as the back up MLB? He may be really need come 2014.

Last edited:

Whats your favorite defensive line move to teach?

Whats your favorite defensive line move to teach?

I would love to hear what a 22 year old Nicky Satan has to say.

I love talking football, I just don't enjoy reading how moving McCullers to DT is revolutionizing football. The guy didn't like me calling him out on it which was no biggie. It's a free board where we can express our opinions college graduate and expect criticism when you post stuff.

Last edited:
I would love to hear what a 22 year old Nicky Satan has to say.

I love talking football, I just don't enjoy reading how moving McCullers to DT is revolutionizing football. The guy didn't like me calling him out on it which was no biggie. It's a free board where we can express our opinions college graduate and expect criticism when you post stuff.

I'm 21 years old, and I can show and teach you everything from my pass rushing arsenal. My favorite as a undersized DT was the rip.

VN Store

Back