Politics can be funny

Aside: is it actually part of conservative ideology to oppose abortion? I know basically all conservatives oppose abortion, but I'm just wondering has that always philosophically been part of the platform, or did it just happen because religious people were drawn to conservatism?

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Nazi comparisons get thrown around a lot more than they should. Both sides of the political spectrum.

I could be wrong, and it would take extensive research to hunt down when US use really started, but I think using "nazi" was another thing that became popular with the antiwar movement in the 60s and 70s. That was likely more the left but, as you say, both sides (and I personally sometimes) use it. My use has one purpose - not to glorify any group - but to let another know their totalitarians have historically been little different with regard to life and liberty. The word we probably need to use is totalitarian rather than flavors of totalitarians.

Reactions: clarksvol00
Can we all at least agree that MTG is a dumbass? Her elevator is not even capable of going beyond the ground floor.
She certainly is a drama queen. She fits in well with the modern incarnation of the Republican Party, as being the party of Trump.

She is a Q Anon zealot, who loves conspiracy theories and hyperbole, while embracing victimhood. She has drawn an equivalency between mask mandates during the COVID pandemic to the Nazi's requiring Jews throughout German-occupied Europe to wear yellow stars during the holocaust, as a means of identification. Not even Kevin McCarthy would defend that.

Reactions: GritNGrind1906
I could be wrong, and it would take extensive research to hunt down when US use really started, but I think using "nazi" was another thing that became popular with the antiwar movement in the 60s and 70s. That was likely more the left but, as you say, both sides (and I personally sometimes) use it. My use has one purpose - not to glorify any group - but to let another know their totalitarians have historically been little different with regard to life and liberty. The word we probably need to use is totalitarian rather than flavors of totalitarians.
There are probably some examples from each administration we could use to compare to a totalitarian regime. I do find it interesting that we used to see the term "Godwin's law" whenever nazi comparisons got thrown around during Trump's term. The main advocates of Godwin's law haven't been using it much since Biden took over.

There are probably some examples from each administration we could use to compare to a totalitarian regime. I do find it interesting that we used to see the term "Godwin's law" whenever nazi comparisons got thrown around during Trump's term. The main advocates of Godwin's law haven't been using it much since Biden took over.

In all fairness, this might be a subculture thing. Godwin's Law has been a mainstay in the Gaming community well before Trump came on the scene.

Reactions: clarksvol00

In all fairness, this might be a subculture thing. Godwin's Law has been a mainstay in the Gaming community well before Trump came on the scene.

Being the Neanderthal that I am (and 23andMe supports it), I had to look up Godwin's Law. That's the nice thing about a good engineering education - laws tend to be pretty old, repeatable, and don't vary much with political views.

She certainly is a drama queen. She fits in well with the modern incarnation of the Republican Party, as being the party of Trump.

She is a Q Anon zealot, who loves conspiracy theories and hyperbole, while embracing victimhood. She has drawn an equivalency between mask mandates during the COVID pandemic to the Nazi's requiring Jews throughout German-occupied Europe to wear yellow stars during the holocaust, as a means of identification. Not even Kevin McCarthy would defend that.

Nice try BB; but with the misfits on your side, it doesn't work. Besides, most people tend to see MTG for a clown unlike how people on your side view your clowns. If she manages the staying power of say Mad Max(ine), your argument might have some credibility.

Found this googling history of abortion and conservatism. Article has some biased conclusions, but the facts presented are interesting:

Today, evangelicals make up the backbone of the pro-life movement, but it hasn’t always been so. Both before and for several years after Roe, evangelicals were overwhelmingly indifferent to the subject, which they considered a “Catholic issue.” In 1968, for instance, a symposium sponsored by the Christian Medical Society and Christianity Today, the flagship magazine of evangelicalism, refused to characterize abortion as sinful, citing “individual health, family welfare, and social responsibility” as justifications for ending a pregnancy. In 1971, delegates to the Southern Baptist Convention in St. Louis, Missouri, passed a resolution encouraging “Southern Baptists to work for legislation that will allow the possibility of abortion under such conditions as rape, incest, clear evidence of severe fetal deformity, and carefully ascertained evidence of the likelihood of damage to the emotional, mental, and physical health of the mother.” The convention, hardly a redoubt of liberal values, reaffirmed that position in 1974, one year after Roe, and again in 1976.

When the Roe decision was handed down, W. A. Criswell, the Southern Baptist Convention’s former president and pastor of First Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas—also one of the most famous fundamentalists of the 20th century—was pleased: “I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person,” he said, “and it has always, therefore, seemed to me that what is best for the mother and for the future should be allowed.”

Although a few evangelical voices, including Christianity Today magazine, mildly criticized the ruling, the overwhelming response was silence, even approval. Baptists, in particular, applauded the decision as an appropriate articulation of the division between church and state, between personal morality and state regulation of individual behavior. “Religious liberty, human equality and justice are advanced by the Supreme Court abortion decision,” wrote W. Barry Garrett of Baptist Press.

The Real Origins of the Religious Right

It's worth pointing out that, to the extent Evangelicals have come to oppose abortion, they have returned to the unequivocal apostolic teaching on the matter (that is to say, those Evangelicals who have supported abortion have done so in defiance of two millenia of Christian teaching).

It won't. It's just going to continue to bleed into society. Everything with national politics is worse than ever. Spending, bloat, partisanship, the media, people on social media, etc. Take me back to the mid 90's (in terms of political climate), please.
It was fried then too.

VN Store

Back