Poll: Greatest Vol of all time (football)

Poll: Who is Greatest Vol of all time? (football player)

• Total voters
I didn't say that Suffridge would get my vote, only that a three-time All-American has to be given serious consideration. Given the options, which I do believe are tilted too much toward the modern era, I would probably vote for Peyton. His legacy as a true Volunteer, in the broadest sense of the word, not only persists but continues to grow in terms of what he contributes to the program, both financially and as an ambassador of the university. He will undoubtedly succeed Doug Atkins and Reggie White as the only Vols to be elected to both the College and Pro Football Halls of Fame.

Reactions: 1 person
Just my 2 cents

Originally Posted by zero-sum View Post
No ...
Neyland? Didn't play for UTMcEver? Greatest HB maybe? Then there is MajorsSuffridge? Was he the best guard we've ever had?(Bob) Johnson? Best Center purhapsSpiva? I'd take Big Al all day

Neyland? Didn't play for UT
Your Thread Title and OP do not state "player only" and your poll was not active/present at the time of my OP.

McEver? Greatest HB maybe? Then there is MajorsSuffridge? Was he the best guard we've ever had?(Bob) Johnson? Best Center purhaps
If the poll is based off accomplishments and contributions these players certainly deserve a spot --- granted poll space is tight.

Spiva? I'd take Big Al all day
Al was the heart and soul of the team. His leadership unequivocal, but Spiva still holds almost every tackle record ...

Hits - 547
Tackles -354
AT - 193
FF-14

His 1976 season is one of, if not the best ever single season for a Vol LB...
Hits - 194
Tackles - 134 *2007 Jerod Mayo (140) & *2012 AJ Johnson (138).
FF - 7

Or was the intent of your poll to be based more on popularity?

Reactions: 3 people
Thank you, zero-sum. Bob Suffridge, Tennessee's only THREE-TIME ALL-AMERICAN, simply has to be considered in any poll of greatest Vols of all-time. Frankly, Neyland's legacy towers, to this day, over that of any player that has ever worn the Orange and White.

:hi:

Poll really makes no sense without Majors on it. Still would probably vote for Manning, but with those two, I could at least see an argument.

I was torn between Reggie and Peyton, but I think Peyton wins with his post collegiate relationship with UT. Not that Reggie loved UT any less. It seems Peyton pours a ton of energy into the program still.

I went with Peyton Manning... only because the Colquitt family isn't on the list.

In all seriousness though, Neyland needs to be on here. I am guessing this is meant to be players only, but you said football Vol. Neyland!

No Dooley, no Bray? WTF? How can these guys not be included?:

*Sarcasm*

Bob Suffridge was the greatest VOL ever. Look him up and you will agree. He played in the 30s and was an All American each of the three years he played. Freshmen could not play at that time. I realize that many of the posters on the board re still wet behind the ears, but we must give this player his due.

I was 13 to 17 during Peyton,s reign,so I was kinda sober and actually remember the games! Clausen,Shuler,and Lewis were all very entertaining as well. Go Vols!

VN Store

Back