Poll: Greatest Vol of all time (football)

Poll: Who is Greatest Vol of all time? (football player)

• Total voters
Bob Suffridge was the greatest VOL ever. Look him up and you will agree. He played in the 30s and was an All American each of the three years he played. Freshmen could not play at that time. I realize that many of the posters on the board re still wet behind the ears, but we must give this player his due.

If he played in the 30's one would have to 90 years old or older to remember watching him. I think wet behind the ears is a reach. He would probably be up there due to the three AA nods but Peyton, Reggie and Atkins all had an impact on the entire sport of football in college and professionally.

So many great ones it's hard to narrow it down to one. In my lifetime it would be a toss up between Peyton and Reggie, with an honorable mention to Condredge.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

If he played in the 30's one would have to 90 years old or older to remember watching him. I think wet behind the ears is a reach. He would probably be up there due to the three AA nods but Peyton, Reggie and Atkins all had an impact on the entire sport of football in college and professionally.

Do you think a player with these honors did not make an impact on football??

Only three time All American from Tennesse.

Never lost a regular season game during his carrer at Tennessee(30-0)

Lead the defense in 1939 which did not give up a single point during the regular season.

Named to the All Time AP All America Team, All Time SEC Team, Half Century All America Team, College Football Hall of Fame Team, Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame, Sugar Rose and Orange Bowl Halls of Fame Team

Knute Rockney Aware.

Played in the NFL but his carrer was cut short by WWll.

By the way, the question was Greatest Vol of all-time (football).

Seems to me his has earned that Title.

Reactions: 1 person
Jim Bob Cooter is the clear choice here.

Do you think a player with these honors did not make an impact on football??

Only three time All American from Tennesse.

Never lost a regular season game during his carrer at Tennessee(30-0)

Lead the defense in 1939 which did not give up a single point during the regular season.

Named to the All Time AP All America Team, All Time SEC Team, Half Century All America Team, College Football Hall of Fame Team, Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame, Sugar Rose and Orange Bowl Halls of Fame Team

Knute Rockney Aware.

Played in the NFL but his carrer was cut short by WWll.

By the way, the question was Greatest Vol of all-time (football).

Seems to me his has earned that Title.

He was a great player and he would be in a top five with probably Cafego or Majors but in my opinion the three greatest have their numbers retired. He definitely should have been a poll option. I think Peyton and Reggie are all-time top ten in football period.

Speaking of awards
1994 SEC Freshman of the Year[210]
1995 First-team All-SEC[210]
1996 Second-Team All-SEC[210]
1996 Third-Team All-American[210]
1997 Davey O'Brien Award[211]
1997 Johnny Unitas Award[211]
1997 NCAA QB of the Year[212]
1997 Maxwell Award[211]
1997 James E. Sullivan Award[211]
1997 Today's Top VIII Award[211]
1997 SEC Championship MVP[26]
1997 Citrus Bowl MVP
1997 Consensus All-American[210]
1997 SEC Player of the Year[210]
1997 First-team All-SEC[210]
1998 Best College Player ESPY Award

School Records
Tennessee Volunteers records Most passing attempts (career): 1,381[7]
Most passing attempts (season): 477 (1997)[7]
Most passing attempts (game): 65 (09/21/96 vs. Florida)[7]
Most completions (career): 863[7]
Most completions (game): 37 (09/21/96 vs. Florida)[7]
Most consecutive completions (game): 12 (11/22/97 vs. Kentucky)[8]
Highest completion percentage (career): 62.49%[8]
Highest completion percentage (season): 64.2% (1995)[8]
Lowest interception percentage (career): 2.39%[8]
Lowest interception percentage (season): 1.05% (1995)[8]
Most consecutive passes without an interception (season): 132[8]
Most passing yards (season): 3,819 (1997)[7]
Most passing yards (career): 11,201[7]
Most passing yards (game): 508 (11/22/97 vs. Kentucky)[7]
Most offensive yards (career): 11,020[8]
Most 500+ passing yard games (career): 1[8]
Most 400+ passing yard games (career): 3[8]
Most 300+ passing yard games (career): 18[8]
Most 300+ passing yard games (season): 9 (1997)[8]
Most consecutive 300+ passing yard games: 7[8]
Most 200+ passing yard games (career): 30[8]
Most wins as starting quarterback (career): 39[7]
Most touchdown passes (career): 89[8]
Most touchdown passes (game): 5 (08/30/97 vs. Texas Tech, 11/22/97 vs. Kentucky)[8]
Most touchdowns (career): 101[8]
Most offensive plays (career): 1,534[8]
Most offensive plays (season): 538 (1997)[8]
Most offensive plays (game): 70 (09/21/96 vs. Florida)[

Last edited:
He was a great player and he would be in a top five with probably Cafego or Majors but in my opinion the three greatest have their numbers retired. He definitely should have been a poll option. I think Peyton and Reggie are all-time top ten in football period.

Speaking of awards
1994 SEC Freshman of the Year[210]
1995 First-team All-SEC[210]
1996 Second-Team All-SEC[210]
1996 Third-Team All-American[210]
1997 Davey O'Brien Award[211]
1997 Johnny Unitas Award[211]
1997 NCAA QB of the Year[212]
1997 Maxwell Award[211]
1997 James E. Sullivan Award[211]
1997 Today's Top VIII Award[211]
1997 SEC Championship MVP[26]
1997 Citrus Bowl MVP
1997 Consensus All-American[210]
1997 SEC Player of the Year[210]
1997 First-team All-SEC[210]
1998 Best College Player ESPY Award

School Records
Tennessee Volunteers records Most passing attempts (career): 1,381[7]
Most passing attempts (season): 477 (1997)[7]
Most passing attempts (game): 65 (09/21/96 vs. Florida)[7]
Most completions (career): 863[7]
Most completions (game): 37 (09/21/96 vs. Florida)[7]
Most consecutive completions (game): 12 (11/22/97 vs. Kentucky)[8]
Highest completion percentage (career): 62.49%[8]
Highest completion percentage (season): 64.2% (1995)[8]
Lowest interception percentage (career): 2.39%[8]
Lowest interception percentage (season): 1.05% (1995)[8]
Most consecutive passes without an interception (season): 132[8]
Most passing yards (season): 3,819 (1997)[7]
Most passing yards (career): 11,201[7]
Most passing yards (game): 508 (11/22/97 vs. Kentucky)[7]
Most offensive yards (career): 11,020[8]
Most 500+ passing yard games (career): 1[8]
Most 400+ passing yard games (career): 3[8]
Most 300+ passing yard games (career): 18[8]
Most 300+ passing yard games (season): 9 (1997)[8]
Most consecutive 300+ passing yard games: 7[8]
Most 200+ passing yard games (career): 30[8]
Most wins as starting quarterback (career): 39[7]
Most touchdown passes (career): 89[8]
Most touchdown passes (game): 5 (08/30/97 vs. Texas Tech, 11/22/97 vs. Kentucky)[8]
Most touchdowns (career): 101[8]
Most offensive plays (career): 1,534[8]
Most offensive plays (season): 538 (1997)[8]
Most offensive plays (game): 70 (09/21/96 vs. Florida)[

I agree these are great individual numbers for a QB. However, most of these are awards were not available in the late 1930s. They do not include awards to All Time National awards and Suffridge was a lineman. MY list of five would be: Suffridge, Manning, Adkins, White and Cafego/Majors.

Suffridge was a freak athlete which Neyland called the best player he had ever seen. I realize that Neyland never saw many of the modern day players and that football has experienced many change over the years. I do become concerned when most of these polls forget or are unaware of most of the players who founded the base for our great football program.

I realize that this interpretation will strike many readers as heresy, but Reggie's reputation is predicated more on his professional career than what he achieved at UT. He showed flashes of brilliance as an underclassman but did not begin to play at a high level consistently until sometime in his junior year. Even UT's official page (UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football) offers the following observation with respect to Reggie's career: "The 1983 team captain drew little publicity until the sixth game of his senior year. By then, his domination was evident. He collected 100 tackles on the season, 72 of them unassisted, and set the school-record with 15 sacks for the year. He had a sack in every game but two and dropped the quarterback four times against The Citadel, another school record."

In his defense, Reggie was most deserving of the All-American recognition he received as a senior in 1983 and remains, to this day, the career leader in sacks (32) at Tennessee. If I had to choose between the two, based exclusively on a consistently high level of play at Tennessee, I would probably pick big Doug Atkins over Reggie.

Reactions: 2 people
I voted eriic berry mostly because of what he did when he was here.

won all freashman team
Lead the team in tackles as a SAFTEY.
Won thourp award his last year
Placed second for the award his sophmore year
Had a hit song named after him..Erric Buury Erric Buury.

I agree these are great individual numbers for a QB. However, most of these are awards were not available in the late 1930s. They do not include awards to All Time National awards and Suffridge was a lineman. MY list of five would be: Suffridge, Manning, Adkins, White and Cafego/Majors.

Suffridge was a freak athlete which Neyland called the best player he had ever seen. I realize that Neyland never saw many of the modern day players and that football has experienced many change over the years. I do become concerned when most of these polls forget or are unaware of most of the players who founded the base for our great football program.

We agree on the top five. It is just hard to have a guard as the #1 of all time. I like the players that change the entire opponent's approach to playing them. Reggie is the best to ever play on the defensive line at any level of football and Peyton is in the discussion as the best to ever line up under center.

Glad you were around to personally see Suffridge play.

John Henderson won the freaking Outland Trophy and was an All American as well. Winning the Outland arguably makes him our most decorated player (in terms of personal achievement awards go). Its basically the Heisman of the line of scrimmage. Was a two time back to back CONSENSUS ALL-American, and a first round draft pick. A two time pro bowl selection at a popular position on an absolute pitiful nfl team and made the all-pro team as well. That's hard to beat too.

Last edited:
We agree on the top five. It is just hard to have a guard as the #1 of all time. I like the players that change the entire opponent's approach to playing them. Reggie is the best to ever play on the defensive line at any level of football and Peyton is in the discussion as the best to ever line up under center.

Suffridge played both ways. Forget which bamer coach said it but I remember reading where one of was quoted as saying...Bob Suffridge was in our back field more than than our backs.

VN Store

Back