Poll: Greatest Vol of all time (football)

Poll: Who is Greatest Vol of all time? (football player)

• Total voters
Glad you were around to personally see Suffridge play.

John Henderson won the freaking Outland Trophy and was an All American as well. Winning the Outland arguably makes him our most decorated player (in terms of personal achievement awards go). Its basically the Heisman of the line of scrimmage. He played as a freshman in the national championship game, was a two time back to back CONSENSUS ALL-American, and a first round draft pick. A two time pro bowl selection at a popular position on an absolute pitiful nfl team and made the all-pro team as well. That's hard to beat too.

Amazes me that at one time we had John Henderson and Albert Haynesworth as our starting DT's.

Glad you were around to personally see Suffridge play.

John Henderson won the freaking Outland Trophy and was an All American as well. Winning the Outland arguably makes him our most decorated player (in terms of personal achievement awards go). Its basically the Heisman of the line of scrimmage. Was a two time back to back CONSENSUS ALL-American, and a first round draft pick. A two time pro bowl selection at a popular position on an absolute pitiful nfl team and made the all-pro team as well. That's hard to beat too.

Actually, big John was not our only Outland Trophy winner. Thirty-six years earlier, Steve DeLong won that award and achieved All-American honors at guard in 1963, '64. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football. Twenty-four years later (1988), his son, Keith, was an All-American linebacker at UT. We have had brother tandems (e.g. Johnny and Bobby Majors) achieve All-American status, but I know of no other father-son team at UT who were both All-Americans.

Actually, big John was not our only Outland Trophy winner. Thirty-six years earlier, Steve DeLong won that award and achieved All-American honors at guard in 1963, '64. See UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football. Twenty-four years later (1988), his son, Keith, was an All-American linebacker at UT. We have had brother tandems (e.g. Johnny and Bobby Majors) achieve All-American status, but I know of no other father-son team at UT who were both All-Americans.

Why do you hate John Henderson?

Why do you hate John Henderson?

I don't in the slightest. After he learned a serious lesson about pad leverage from Nebraska, big John played at a consistently high level and was a truly dominating force at defensive tackle. He was entirely deserving of all the accolades that came his way. How you could come to the conclusion you espouse in your rhetorical question is beyond my understanding. I simply pointed out that we have at least two Outland Trophy winners, Henderson and DeLong. Both are equally worthy of praise for that accomplishment. And both were two-time All-Americans.

P.S. According to UT's All-American page (UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football), John Henderson is one of only two Nashville-born players to achieve All-American status at Tennessee. As a Nashvillian, I do take pride in Big John's accomplishments.

Last edited:
Bob Suffridge should have been on there. Only three time All American ever from UT. But I was going to vote for Wilson from your list - that is, until I saw Wilks at the end.

Reggie White was a super star, elite caliber NFL player. He had one absolutely amazing season at UT. But as a whole Majors was better. Probably Cafego too. I'd probably even put Atkins over him from a collegiate standpoint

I love EB..honest. Hope we get his brothers. I'm not even sure he is the best DB we have ever had. When I was a kid Dale Carter was a perennial first AA...fastest player on the field at any position every time he took the field...led the nation in kickoff return avg....right around 30 per IIRC...then went on to be a pro bowler on Sundays. EB still has a few things to accomplish to match that.

So does Doug Atkins. Atkins was a unanimous choice for All SEC Quarter Century team 1950-1975) and SEC Player of the Quarter Century.

I stand corrected you are exactly right sir, many fans often forget about how dominant he was here and in Chicago. He has to be the best VOL of all time I just have a man crush on Al Wilson, just loved his passion unlike any that has put on the Orange.

VN Store

Back