Portal Activity (News and Rumors)

Burns can really only be NIL as a TN kid. TV moved him into a spot where he excelled and showed his versatility. I think he made money from it. He will go back to being a starter. Not that I really know anything, but third hand info I was told was that Burns will be taken care of.
He is only a Tennessee kid because he moved here after Katrina.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Hard for me to imagine Burns or Beam leaving. I know people will say "but NIL", but both these kids are a year away from being draft picks. Probably high draft picks. Is one year of NIL really worth the risk of going somewhere completely new and unfamiliar? JMO, but it makes better business sense to stay here one more year, keep working with the pitching coach you're already familiar with, playing for the team you've already given so much to, and get to that payday next year. But what do I know? Maybe they think that instant gratification $$$ is worth it?
Until any of our players actually departs for another program, I'm going to think this is nothing more than a good business/NIL move. Why not entertain interest/offers from other programs? If UT really wants to keep a kid, they can strengthen their offer in order to keep him. If UT doesn't, there are worse things than playing for another SEC school for a year. One gets a real shot at another Omaha trip and natty. The other gets closer to his girlfriend. Both are smart to do what they're rumored to be doing. I don't like the thought of losing either one or heaven forbid, both, but I can't fault them for making a smart business decision and testing the NIL waters. Hope both return next year, but with the uncertainty surrounding the rest of our roster, it might be that the grass is, indeed, greener on the other side of fence. Depending on what happens for us in the portal, we might be in something of a rebuilding mode and the lineup sprinkled with youth.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I’m not being sarcastic but what could be the other reasons? I can see opportunities for a championship or exposure especially coming from smaller schools (i.e. Maui or Griff), closer to home, coaching change, lack of playing time etc. None of those scenarios apply to some of our bigger names so what could/would lead to their leaving?

You mentioned family/GF, but I’ll throw out some on-field thoughts. Beam was the one bumped from the postseason rotation last year when Tidwell returned. This year, Beam was the Sunday starter even though an argument could be made that he was our most consistent starter. He was close to being shut out of pitching in Omaha if we had not come back against Stanford. As such, could there be on-field grievances? Doesn’t seem like there has been, but who knows.

Last edited:
You mentioned family/GF, but I’ll throw out some on-field thoughts. Beam was the one bumped from the postseason rotation last year when Tidwell returned. This year, Beam was the Sunday starter even though an argument could be make that he was our most consistent starter. He was close to being shut out of pitching in Omaha if we had not come back against Stanford. As such, could there be on-field grievances? Doesn’t seem like there has been, but who knows.
No. He didn’t mention GF/family. He did mention closer to home.

Reactions: knoxvol52

VN Store

Back