Portal Activity (News and Rumors)

Lost all respect for that institution when they created the Longhorn network and destroyed the SWC.
It is really not all that surprising when you consider the size of the state, the size of the egos and belt buckles of some men...and there is the brain inside Texas men ... here's a sample ...
"Everything's big in Texas" ... I still remember the punch line ... don't flush it.
  • If Texas were its own country, it would be the 40th largest out of 193 countries in the world, bigger than every country in Europe.
How Big is Texas? You Won’t Believe How Huge It Is!
or
https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...KiodJa6mHkjt-mJQqkO17Vo7XTmTnYsTw&oe=6500A298

Oh and I was born and raised in Texas (Fort Worth) ... but have lived in Tennessee long enough to know ... it is the quality of the men ... Crockett, Bowie and about 28 more men who cast big shadows. Go Vols.
Oh, and it is actually ... UTA!

It is really not all that surprising when you consider the size of the state, the size of the egos and belt buckles of some men...and there is the brain inside Texas men ... here's a sample ...
"Everything's big in Texas" ... I still remember the punch line ... don't flush it.
  • If Texas were its own country, it would be the 40th largest out of 193 countries in the world, bigger than every country in Europe.
or
https://scontent-atl3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...KiodJa6mHkjt-mJQqkO17Vo7XTmTnYsTw&oe=6500A298

Oh and I was born and raised in Texas (Fort Worth) ... but have lived in Tennessee long enough to know ... it is the quality of the men ... Crockett, Bowie and about 28 more men who cast big shadows. Go Vols.

Attachments

• IMG_0973.jpeg
    IMG_0973.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 2
or

The most telling thing about Texas to me is that not even one person that fought at the Alamo was from Texas, not even one.

We had an exchange student from Denmark stay with us for 10 months. We took her to the Alamo. She was so proud that there was a lone soldier from Denmark.

Defenders | The Alamo

The most telling thing about Texas to me is that not even one person that fought at the Alamo was from Texas, not even one.

We had an exchange student from Denmark stay with us for 10 months. We took her to the Alamo. She was so proud that there was a lone soldier from Denmark.

Defenders | The Alamo
Wow. That’s shocking to me. Even more reason to remind Austinites/Longhorns that there’s only one UT and it’s not UTX. πŸŠπŸ‘πŸ˜€πŸŠπŸ‘

Yes, I knew that fact (and it alone supports on one UT being TN) but had no clue that a Texan didn’t fight in the Alamo. That fact still shocks me… GBO.
All the Texans ran to Oklahoma because Santa Ana kept kicking their tail. Davy Crockett said enough is enough. If you want to start a fight with a Texan mention the fact.

or

I like big belt buckles.
IMG_0276.jpegIMG_0275.jpeg

Defenders | The Alamo

To be fair, you have to look at the timeline. Not many were going to be from Texas. In 1819, there was a treaty where Spain ceded Florida to the US in exchange for the recognition that they were sovereign over Texas. Years earlier in 1803, the Louisiana Purchase occurred, but the land only included the northern-most part of Texas (San Antonio isn't close). John Quincy Adams offered to buy Texas in 1826 for $1 million but was turned down.

The Battle of the Alamo happened in 1836, so any adult that fought was going to be from another area of the country because Spain/Mexico had ruled it. I believe Stephen F. Austin went to Mexico City before this to negotiate Texas as an independent state (with retaining Mexico rule) but was kept there for a while and eventually released.

Andrew Jackson wanted Texas, and he and Sam Houston were close. There were other important Texas revolutionary figures that had connections to the United States Government.

I was born in Texas but moved to Tennessee at a young age. I am proud of both heritages, but Tennessee certainly deserves the recognition of being the Volunteer state.

Edit: And...based on the linked website, there were at least 8 at the Alamo that were from Texas. Spanish/Mexican Texas would be Texas. They show the Mexican flag because Texas wasn't even a part of the U.S at that point. So, those were locals fighting against the Mexican army.

Last edited:
To be fair, you have to look at the timeline. Not many were going to be from Texas. In 1819, there was a treaty where Spain ceded Florida to the US in exchange for the recognition that they were sovereign over Texas. Years earlier in 1803, the Louisiana Purchase occurred, but the land only included the northern-most part of Texas (San Antonio isn't close). John Quincy Adams offered to buy Texas in 1826 for $1 million but was turned down.

The Battle of the Alamo happened in 1836, so any adult that fought was going to be from another area of the country because Spain/Mexico had ruled it. I believe Stephen F. Austin went to Mexico City before this to negotiate Texas as an independent state (with retaining Mexico rule) but was kept there for a while and eventually released.

Andrew Jackson wanted Texas, and he and Sam Houston were close. There were other important Texas revolutionary figures that had connections to the United States Government.

I was born in Texas but moved to Tennessee at a young age. I am proud of both heritages, but Tennessee certainly deserves the recognition of being the Volunteer state.

Edit: And...based on the linked website, there were at least 8 at the Alamo that were from Texas. Spanish/Mexican Texas would be Texas. They show the Mexican flag because Texas wasn't even a part of the U.S at that point. So, those were locals fighting against the Mexican army.
Interesting. Thanks for the additional context.

When I was a kid my parents listened to Paul Harvey and a guy named Caz or Cas Walker he owned a chain of grocery stores... I don't know how many on here remember him?
Dolly Parton first debuted on the Porter Wagonner show, sponsored by Cas Walker? Pushing my memory…

When I was a kid my parents listened to Paul Harvey and a guy named Caz or Cas Walker he owned a chain of grocery stores... I don't know how many on here remember him?
Same here. Fond memories of my Dad listening to Paul Harvey when I was matriculating. He was a splendid story teller. Paul Harvey,,,,………..Good Day!

VN Store

Back