Portal Activity (News and Rumors)

Wichita State was once one of the great powers in college baseball.

Gene Stephenson was there about 35 years and had 7 appearance in Omaha and one national title in 1989 and 3 runner up appearances.. That was the season before the SEC won its first title. All the coaches since then have been terrible. Stephenson had the Wichita team wearing the "trucker caps" forever and I loved those caps

They just hired an assistant from Washington State as head coach with ZERO experience in the region. Brian Green was previously the head coach at New Mexico State.

Most of their roster is Midwest and Texas with some front range guys thrown in.

I can see why the current roster was not impressed with the hire and why the new staff was not all that enthralled with the current roster.

They finished the season at an RPI of 107 at 30-25 and 13-10 in the American. They were 6-5 against Q1 teams. They swept ECU atg home. and took 1 of 2 against Okl. State. and went 2-1 against Oklahoma. The Shockers were swept by Oral Roberts in 3 single games in March and May.

Wasn't Wichita either the victim or the perpetrator of the hidden ball trick vs Miami in the cws one year?

The transfer portal shows what teams are in "trouble" more than anything else

Even though they made regional final; Charlotte has 15 guys in portal. Of course, with their showing, the guys may have an eye on "upgrades" more than fleeing a bad situation. Still, 15 is bad # for the school

Campbell has 7- I suspect guys trying to get to ACC or SEC

there are 15 between Arizona State and Arizona

Charleston Southern had a good start to 2023 but tanked at end.. They have 13

Coastal Carolina has an amazing 15

ETSU has issues with 14\

The newish staff at Florida State is cutting dead wood and has 12

8 Georgia players are not waiting on the new staff

8 Georgia Tech

9 Grand Canyon

9 Houston Cougars

7 Hoosiers

5 Sycamores

5 Iowa Hawkeyes coming off their best season in years.

10 Kennesaw State Owls

11 Liberty Flames

10 Long Beach Dirtbags

8 Louisville Cardinals

6 LSU tigers

11 Maryland Terrapins. How many will see their way to Alabama?

8 Memphis Tigers

9 Mercer Bears

12 Miami Hurricanes

7 Miss State Bulldogs

27 MVSU Delta Devils. (Wow!) I'm guessing they fired a coach

16 Missouri Tigers (new coach coming)

10 NC State Wolkpackers

10 Nebraska Huskers

7 NC Tarheels

7 Buckeyes have realized Mosiello is a bit of an ass

11 Sooners

13 Ole Miss Webbles

9 O State Beavers

9 Penn Quakers are getting out while the iron is hot- 6 have already chosen top tier schools.

17 Pitt Panthers (what's going on there?)

10 Scarlet Knights

14 Sac State Hornets (that school has history has a lot of xfers to larger western schools)

6 Vols that we have discussed. Why you'd go to portal and miss Omaha I'll never understand?

7 Texas Aggies

11 Texas Tech Raiders. Why?

6 UCLA Bruins

10 USC Upstate Spartans after a very good season

3 Commode Doors

5 Deamon Deacons

10 WV Mountaineers after a good season under Randy Mazey

10 WCU Catamounts after a poor season

12 Hilltoppers are leaving WKU

33 Shockers are leaving Wichita State after coaching change. There's some top notch talent on that team

9 Wofford Terriers

Wichita State made a very weak hire

The have and article on their website with a quote that says "This isn't a rebuild" from new coach Brian Green

RH: Brian Green Takes Over Wichita State Baseball - Wichita State Athletics

Green has a lot of connecting to do as he attempts to rebuild a roster after most of the Shockers eligible to return entered the transfer portal. Some are already coming back. He made it clear on Wednesday he respects what the 2023 players and coaches accomplished under interim coach Loren Hibbs.

He wants to give those Shockers a chance to stay Shockers and win together. He wants the recruiting class to stick with him and the school they chose.

It seems like college baseball has a lot of portal movement and I would assume that some of that movement could be NIL based.

I think I heard Florida was likely for him.

Which is wild because that kid had deep Clemson roots.
Just great. Guess it will be UF spending like drunken sailors along with LSU in the portal this year? Wonder how active we'll be? Just hoping a certain stud freshman from a certain school to our south enters said portal and ends up in Knoxville.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Just great. Guess it will be UF spending like drunken sailors along with LSU in the portal this year? Wonder how active we'll be? Just hoping a certain stud freshman from a certain school to our south enters said portal and ends up in Knoxville.

You mean the one who’s already entered the portal?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
We need to step up our NIL spending in baseball. I want to see us get some big names in the portal, dammit. This team has needs for next season.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back