Positive outlook on WKU (ESPN)

ManningBerry#1

8. Intriguing matchup in Knoxville: Tennessee cruised to a win over FCS foe Austin Peay in the opening week but now get a little bit of a tougher test in Bobby Petrino's Western Kentucky squad, which is fresh off its upset of Kentucky. The Volunteers are favored and rightfully so, and they're a higher caliber opponent than Kentucky. It would be a tough task for the Hilltoppers to pull off in Neyland Stadium, but it's worth at least keeping an eye on as Petrino tries to start 2-0 against SEC foes while Tennessee's Butch Jones looks to keep positive momentum going.

NCAAF What to watch in the SEC: Week 2 - ESPN

Given the past 3 years, I blame no one (nationally) for thinking WKU could upset the Vols.

However, I have no idea how those following the Butch Jones tenure closely could think this will be anything but a solid victory.

Reactions: 43 people
I'm hoping for intriguing for the first half and then talent/conditioning kicks in in the second half to widen the spread.

Reactions: 5 people
I'm hoping for intriguing for the first half and then talent/conditioning kicks in in the second half to widen the spread.

thoughts exactly, they have talent, but I think our O and D lines are the difference maker later in the game, i'm not sure who their defensive tackle is, but i'm sure he can't wait to meet Tiny Richardson......

Reactions: 4 people
Given the past 3 years, I blame no one (nationally) for thinking WKU could upset the Vols.

However, I have no idea how those following the Butch Jones tenure closely could think this will be anything but a solid victory.

I agree and I also believe there will be no letting off the gas this week...A good beat down of WKU will build a lot of confidence going to Oregon.

Reactions: 5 people

I followed the Petrino tenure closely here in Arky, and that's why I think it will be closer than most think. I still think we win, but it wouldn't suprise me if BP kept it within 10 pts.

The crowd has to be in it this week! A lot of people there last week but everybody knew what the outcome was going to be so it was more of looking at what we got. We need to be rowdy until we blow it open this week! Bring WKU back to reality!!

Reactions: 7 people
I followed the Petrino tenure closely here in Arky, and that's why I think it will be closer than most think. I still think we win, but it wouldn't suprise me if BP kept it within 10 pts.

I expect a good game too. I still think the win will be decisive in the end though. Even a 10 point win can feel decisive.

The game last week in the 2nd half should be all one needs to see to question the current VOLS team and wonder if WKU could upset us. We are still young and have a lot of inexperience at key positions. Defensive play will be key as well as how well we pound the ball down their throat. We won't win a shootout if it comes to one. We have to stay within our confort zone. I see a close game and a big play (Pick-Six, punt or K/O return) could decide it.

I wouldn't be surprised with a close game, but Petrino doesn't have the talent he had at Arky anymore. There's only so much a coach can do with what he's inherited.

The game last week in the 2nd half should be all one needs to see to question the current VOLS team and wonder if WKU could upset us. We are still young and have a lot of inexperience at key positions. Defensive play will be key as well as how well we pound the ball down their throat. We won't win a shootout if it comes to one. We have to stay within our confort zone. I see a close game and a big play (Pick-Six, punt or K/O return) could decide it.

You do realize that our starters didn't touch the field in the 2nd half, right?

Reactions: 15 people
You do realize that our starters didn't touch the field in the 2nd half, right?

Yes. And the starters are gioing to play every down against WKU? Hardly. We are way too thin to think we will have an easy game this year. Against virtually anyone.

Reactions: 1 person

My thoughts as well

Reactions: 1 person
Yes. And the starters are gioing to play every down against WKU? Hardly. We are way too thin to think we will have an easy game this year. Against virtually anyone.

The starters may not play every down, but I doubt we'll be doing any mass subs of our 1st team unless the game is well in hand.

We should be able to run the ball at will, and our Defense should shut down the WKU offense. I think it will be a 21+ point game.

Reactions: 9 people
The starters may not play every down, but I doubt we'll be doing any mass subs of our 1st team unless the game is well in hand.

We should be able to run the ball at will, and our Defense should shut down the WKU offense. I think it will be a 21+ point game.

I am more in the 10 point game spread and I think it will be a 4th quarter win for whoever wins it.

They played Kentucky at a neutral site with quite possibly more WKU fans there as compared to UK fans. Any team can be beat on a neutral site, it is much different winning on the other team's home field. Home field advantage can create as much as 10 point swing in many cases, especially if you are inferior team with limited depth.

I'm sure our second string is better than theirs and that's what you're basing your opinion on is our second string. have you even seen their second string perform?I'm sure our 1-2 is better than their 1-2.

Mixing 2nd stringers in ALONG with starters is much different then a mass substitution of the 2nd string offense and defense. You think in order to rest our starters we will do a mass substitution of the 2nd team offense and defense?

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back