Positive outlook on WKU (ESPN)

Just glancing at Oregon's last four years of recruiting, they are not doing more with less. Five solid years of 8-10 four and five star recruits with half of those being top-150 recruits is not my definition of leaving the cupboard bare.

Who said the cupboard at Oregon was bare? The fact is though the last five years Oregon has had one class ranked in the top 10 and in those five years they have signed a grand total of 4 (5*) players. Pretty good for a team ranked 2nd in the nation.

2009 - 32 / (0) 5*
2010 - 13 / (1) 5*
2011 - 9 / (2) 5*
2012 - 16 / (0) 5*
2013 - 22 / (1) 5*

Recruiting rankings are not meaningless but a great coach can win without a roster full of 4-5* players.

Just glancing at Oregon's last four years of recruiting, they are not doing more with less. Five solid years of 8-10 four and five star recruits with half of those being top-150 recruits is not my definition of leaving the cupboard bare.

Actually well over half of their recruits the last five years were rated 3* or below which would keep them out of the top 250 let alone 150.

A few positive thoughts...

UK is horrible, devoid of talent, and rebuilding under a new head coach. They may be the worst team in the league.

UT is in the middle and mid-upper of the SEC as far as talent level on roster and recruiting rankings over the last 4 years.

Our senior laden lines on both sides of the ball will be able to control the line of scrimmage.

We will get a couple of key starters back from injury which will really boost our front 7. Hopefully we open up the defensive play book quite a bit.

Whip dey a$$ and Go Vols!

Reactions: 4 people
I did not watch their game last week and have no idea about any of UK's players but thier top 2 RB avg 7.0 & 10.7 ypc on 14 and 7 attp. Now both these guys could be future NFL studs but doubt it so I'm going to assume with our line, our O, and our RB's we should be able to run at will all day. I hear WKU has a great LB and safety but stats tell you UK had success no reason we shouldn't. The pace we opperate at should relly pay dividens later in the game. I say we go into half with a 10 point lead and end up winning by 24.

What most people don't realize, is WKU has a better SEC record for the past 2 years than we do... And that's sad..

A few positive thoughts...

UK is horrible, devoid of talent, and rebuilding under a new head coach. They may be the worst team in the league.

UT is in the middle and mid-upper of the SEC as far as talent level on roster and recruiting rankings over the last 4 years.

Our senior laden lines on both sides of the ball will be able to control the line of scrimmage.

We will get a couple of key starters back from injury which will really boost our front 7. Hopefully we open up the defensive play book quite a bit.

Whip dey a$$ and Go Vols!

:rock:

In the 2009 season opener, UT soundly defeated wku to the tune of 63-7. Have the Vols fallen and wku risen enough to make this a competitive game Saturday? I don't under estimate Petrino because he is a very formidable coach, and he will have his team prepared for the game Saturday. I'm counting on UT to be tested but pass. If it goes like I think but will, UT should come away with about a 3 td win.

One thing that everyone talks about in regards to this year's Vols compared to last year's is Jones vs. Dooley, which is an unbelievable improvement. But then people say the WKU can not win because the talent at WKU is so weak and discount any impact Petrino may have.
When WKU lost to UT in 2009 , the WKU coach was an FCS coach who was fired at the end of the season and is now an assistant at either New Mexico or NMSU and UT had Kiffin, a sleazeball but a pretty good coach.
My point is, WKU has improved a great deal since 2009, both in talent and coaching.
UT has improved as well since 2009, I believe, but not as much as WKU. Of course, for WKU there was no place to go but up.
The improvement by WKU will make this a good game but there is probably not enough improvement for a WKU win, unless UT makes multiple mistakes ans WKU can capitalize.

Yes. And the starters are gioing to play every down against WKU? Hardly. We are way too thin to think we will have an easy game this year. Against virtually anyone.

Your point is taken but it is unlikely that the entire 1st team will be out enmasse unless there is a blowout. Subs mixed in with starters is not as apt to impact the performance level appreciably as occurred in the 2nd half of the AP game.

Yes. And the starters are gioing to play every down against WKU? Hardly. We are way too thin to think we will have an easy game this year. Against virtually anyone.

It is nice to see that some Vol fans are still grounded and realistic.

WKU safety Jonathan Dowling thinks coming into Neyland and getting a W wouldn't be an upset.

"We don't look at it as being underdogs," he said. "We ain't the underdogs."

Guess he ain't seen the 13.5.

Reactions: 3 people
my my,,its WK vs the VOLS. Some of you seriously think the VOLS are going to pussyfoot around?? Last week was a glorified paddle around the shallow end. This week we get a wee bit deeper, not much, but enough to give the guys a solid work out. This is Tennessee football boys and my hunch is that this team is hungry. Petrino's offense will be on the sidelines as much as Butch want's to keep them there. Prediction - Neal get's 200 yards on the ground leading the Vols to at minimum a 21 point victory. Vols @ home against WK,,,yup.

What most people don't realize, is WKU has a better SEC record for the past 2 years than we do... And that's sad..

How often did they play Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, LSU, or Texas A&M? Two of those wins were against UK. While I am not happy with our SEC record the last 3-4 years, WKU has played the SEC's bottom teams.

The game last week in the 2nd half should be all one needs to see to question the current VOLS team and wonder if WKU could upset us. We are still young and have a lot of inexperience at key positions. Defensive play will be key as well as how well we pound the ball down their throat. We won't win a shootout if it comes to one. We have to stay within our confort zone. I see a close game and a big play (Pick-Six, punt or K/O return) could decide it.

Go home you're drunk

How often did they play Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, LSU, or Texas A&M? Two of those wins were against UK. While I am not happy with our SEC record the last 3-4 years, WKU has played the SEC's bottom teams.

Well, they played Alabama last year and LSU the season before that...

Plus UK the past 4 seasons and now UT this year.

So...

Strictly my opinion, but without Petrino I'd say we win by 21. Remember, he won double digit games in back to back seasons are Arky with mostly 3* talent in the SEC west. Of course he doesn't have Arky's talent now. However, he drubbed us 49-7 with that 3* talent, and I think it's reasonable that he can at least keep in close with us with the talent he has now.

I think his coaching is worth 7-10pts tomorrow. I think we when by 2-3 TDs. His D is thin.

Well, they played Alabama last year and LSU the season before that...

Plus UK the past 4 seasons and now UT this year.

So...

I'd play those teams too for 500k. Wouldn't you?

They are the one of the sec's hookers. We pass her around for some playing time and a tune up game.
That's it.

VN Store

Back