Positive outlook on WKU (ESPN)

I like to put some name and facts with my opponents. So, anyway, I looked at the starting line-ups and their rankings coming out of HS. I know that rankings are not a perfect science but it does give you an idea of what you are working with here.

TN OFFENSE
TE - Brendan Downs (6-5/248 JR) - 3*/5.6
OT - Antonio Richardson (6-6/327 JR) - 4*/5.9
OG - Alex Bullard (6-2/302 SR) - 4*/5.8
C - James Stone (6-3/291 SR) - 4*/5.8
OG - Zach Fulton (6-5/323 SR) - 3*/5.7
OT - JuWuan James (6-6/318 SR) - 4*/5.9
WR - Marquez North (6-4/215 FR) - 4*/6.0
WR - Pig Howard (5-8/185 SO) - 4*/5.8
WR - Jason Croom (6-5/225 R-FR) - 4*/5.8
QB - Justin Worley (6-4/222 JR) - 3*/5.6
RB - Raijon Neal (5-11/212 SR) - 4*/5.8

Now let's look at the WKU offense.
QB - Kuwaun Jakes (6-3/194 SR) - 2*/5.0
RB - Antonio Andrews (6-0/211 JR) - 3*/5.5
FB - Kadeem Jones (5-11/246 JR) - 2*/5.3
WR - Marcus Vasquez (6-1/193 SR) - 2*/5.2
WR - Willie McNeal (5-10/163 SO) - 2*/4.9
TE - Jack Doyle (6-6/253) - NR
OT - Cameron Clemmons (6-6/305 SO) - 3*/5.6
OT - Seth White (6-5/291 JR) - 2*/4.9
OG - Luis Polanco (6-2/295 JR) - 2*/5.2
OG - Adam Smith (6-5/325 SR) - 2*/5.1
C - Sean Conway (6-3/305 JR) - 2*/5.1

im surprised their line is that big for it being wku. im sure they lack the athleticism though.

also i keep hearing everyone say that petrino is a great coach etc. does everyone just think CBJ is a ****ty coach or what? if he is as good of a coach as petrino and has more talent available, this should be a rout

Reactions: 4 people
I like to put some name and facts with my opponents. So, anyway, I looked at the starting line-ups and their rankings coming out of HS. I know that rankings are not a perfect science but it does give you an idea of what you are working with here.

TN OFFENSE
TE - Brendan Downs (6-5/248 JR) - 3*/5.6
OT - Antonio Richardson (6-6/327 JR) - 4*/5.9
OG - Alex Bullard (6-2/302 SR) - 4*/5.8
C - James Stone (6-3/291 SR) - 4*/5.8
OG - Zach Fulton (6-5/323 SR) - 3*/5.7
OT - JuWuan James (6-6/318 SR) - 4*/5.9
WR - Marquez North (6-4/215 FR) - 4*/6.0
WR - Pig Howard (5-8/185 SO) - 4*/5.8
WR - Jason Croom (6-5/225 R-FR) - 4*/5.8
QB - Justin Worley (6-4/222 JR) - 3*/5.6
RB - Raijon Neal (5-11/212 SR) - 4*/5.8

Now let's look at the WKU offense.
QB - Kuwaun Jakes (6-3/194 SR) - 2*/5.0
RB - Antonio Andrews (6-0/211 JR) - 3*/5.5
FB - Kadeem Jones (5-11/246 JR) - 2*/5.3
WR - Marcus Vasquez (6-1/193 SR) - 2*/5.2
WR - Willie McNeal (5-10/163 SO) - 2*/4.9
TE - Jack Doyle (6-6/253) - NR
OT - Cameron Clemmons (6-6/305 SO) - 3*/5.6
OT - Seth White (6-5/291 JR) - 2*/4.9
OG - Luis Polanco (6-2/295 JR) - 2*/5.2
OG - Adam Smith (6-5/325 SR) - 2*/5.1
C - Sean Conway (6-3/305 JR) - 2*/5.1

I stopped looking after Jakes since he isn't their starting QB and Andrews who is projected by some to be one of the top 5 running backs picked in the 2014 draft.

If stars ratings is all that matters we should also take Oregon to the woodshed but I don't see that happening.

Last edited:
Here's the defenses:

TN DEFENSE
DE - Jacques Smith (6-3/225 SR) - 4*/5.9
DE - Corey Miller (6-3/265 SR) - 4*/5.9
DE - Jordan Williams (6-5/260 JR) - 3*/5.7
DT - Daniel Hood (6-4/277 SR) - 3*/5.7
DT - Daniel McCullers (6-8/351 SR) - 4*/5.9
LB - Curt Magitt (6-3/220 SR) - 4*/5.8
LB - Dantavis Sapp (6-2/227 SR) - 2*/5.3
LB - AJ Johnson (6-2/243 JR) - 4*/5.8
LB - Brent Brewer (6-1/221 SR) - 3*/5.7
NB - JaRon Toney (5-10/184 JR) - NR
S - Brian Randolph (6-0/199 SO) - 4*/5.7
S - LaDarrell McNeil (6-1/199 SO) - 4*/5.9
CB - Cameron Sutton (6-1/180 FR) - 3*/5.6
CB - Justin Coleman (5-10/184 JR) - 4*/5.8

WKU DEFENSE
LB - Tye Golden (6-2/234 SR) - 2*/5.2
LB - Xavius Boyd (6-2/235 JR) - 3*/5.5
LB - Andrew Jackson (6-1/265 JR) - 2*/5.3)
DE - Quanterus Smith (6-5/244 SR) - 2*/4.9
DE - Cole Tischer (6-4/250 SR) - 2*/5.4
DT - Jamarcus Allen (5-11/286 SR) - 2*/5.4
DT - Rammell Lewis (6-2/299 SR) - 2*/4.9
CB - Tyree Robinson (5-10/196 JR) - 2*/5.4
CB - Arius Wright (5-10/189 JR) - 2*/5.3
S - Kiante Young (5-11/220 JR) - 2*/4.9
S - Jonathan Darling (6-3/198 SO) - NR

That isn't fair. UT gets to play 14 players at a time and WKU only gets to use 11. j/k

I did not say anything when the first roster was posted but needed to respond to this one. The WKU rosters posted are last year's.
I do not think the star distribution will change any by using this year's lineup instead, but the fact that it was the wrong information accentuates a point that I have been trying to make repeatedly.

VN posters have been making claims, conjectures, predictions related to this game with very little, if any, knowledge of the opponent. And what is really bad is that anyone who has knowledge about WKU and tries to bring it into the discussion is insulted and demeaned.

And just as a note about stars... Q Smith came to WKU as a 215 DE/LB with 2*, but left after recording 12 sacks in only 10 games last year (3 of the 6 WKU recorded against AL) and was drafted in the middle rounds by Denver.

Okay, So.....

QB - James Mauro (6-7/227) - 2*/5.2

Doesn't change the fact that we are putting more talent on the field in almost every position.

UT is putting more stars on the field than WKU which does not always equate to more production (Kenny Neal, Daniel Brooks, etc.)
In addition, between the two lists that you posted, there are at least 5 WKU players of 2* or less who have been or will be drafted. That does not mean that I am touting WKU talent over UT, but is does mean that recruiting rankings do not always predict collegiate success.

Also, James Mauro is no longer with the program. He left after being beaten for the job by Brandon Doughty.

Do just a little bit of research please

I stopped looking after Jakes since he isn't their starting QB and Andrews who is projected to be one of the top 5 running backs picked in the 2014 draft if he leaves early.

If stars ratings is all that matters we should also take Oregon to the woodshed but I don't see that happening.

It is interesting how the fact that Oregon wins with less than stellar recruiting classes does not equate to anyone else doing the same.
I agree with you that if the recruiting rankings were all that mattered, UT should be favored over Oregon by at least 10 points.
Don't those idiots ranking them in the top 10 know that they do not have highly rated players and should therefore not be ranked so high?
We should just compute the average number of stars on a teams roster and award them the championship trophy. It would save a lot of time and effort.

It is interesting how the fact that Oregon wins with less than stellar recruiting classes does not equate to anyone else doing the same.
I agree with you that if the recruiting rankings were all that mattered, UT should be favored over Oregon by at least 10 points.
Don't those idiots ranking them in the top 10 know that they do not have highly rated players and should therefore not be ranked so high?
We should just compute the average number of stars on a teams roster and award them the championship trophy. It would save a lot of time and effort.

I agree plus it would put an end to all the concussion lawsuits. Watching table tennis on Saturdays would be much more relaxing anyway.

Just glancing at Oregon's last four years of recruiting, they are not doing more with less. Five solid years of 8-10 four and five star recruits with half of those being top-150 recruits is not my definition of leaving the cupboard bare.

In your opinion, what would the line be if Petrino was not the coach at WKU?

Strictly my opinion, but without Petrino I'd say we win by 21. Remember, he won double digit games in back to back seasons are Arky with mostly 3* talent in the SEC west. Of course he doesn't have Arky's talent now. However, he drubbed us 49-7 with that 3* talent, and I think it's reasonable that he can at least keep in close with us with the talent he has now.

Randy 49er, from CBS Sports picked WKU to beat the Vols. :)
Well, I can't wait for the beatdown we put on their rears.
GO VOLS!:good!:

Yes. And the starters are gioing to play every down against WKU? Hardly. We are way too thin to think we will have an easy game this year. Against virtually anyone.

You do realize that only 1 or 2 starters will be out at any given play? I think they'll be ok in that aspect.

Wku made "we beat Kentucky shirts" lol in case the haven't realized everyone beats Kentucky. Lookin forward to the ass whippin Saturday.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes. And the starters are gioing to play every down against WKU? Hardly. We are way too thin to think we will have an easy game this year. Against virtually anyone.

You do realize that Propst, Foreman, Swaufford, and Arnold came in with 13 minutes left in the 2nd quarter (not half)? I watched the replay again last night as I had had a few drinks on Saturday.

Not saying we aren't thin, but the starters will play 3 times more than they did last weekend. Not even close. CBJ knew what he had when it was 21-0 and he substituted very freely very early.

Wku made "we beat Kentucky shirts" lol in case the haven't realized everyone beats Kentucky. Lookin forward to the ass whippin Saturday.

It seems we should already have an orange shirt that reads "Everyone beats Kentucky" in white letters for situations like this one.

Reactions: 1 person

They aren't going to sub in the entire 2nd and 3rd team all at once, dude. That is the major difference that you are not considering.

Strictly my opinion, but without Petrino I'd say we win by 21. Remember, he won double digit games in back to back seasons are Arky with mostly 3* talent in the SEC west. Of course he doesn't have Arky's talent now. However, he drubbed us 49-7 with that 3* talent, and I think it's reasonable that he can at least keep in close with us with the talent he has now.

It wasn't all 3 stars, as you insinuate. Petrino had a class ranked 16th one year. In 2011, he had Tyler Wilson, Ronnie Wingo, Deanthony Curtis, Joe Adams, Cobi Hamilton (high 3 star with offers from Texas and Auburn), and Jarius Wright were all 4 star skill players. The WR group was incredible and very talented.

He even had 4 stars on defense with Jerico Nelson and on the defensive line along with Safety Darius Winston, who was a 5 star.

In the SEC, the olines can be developed, but you must have high level skill players, and Petrino had that. He didn't just do that with average 3 star players.

From NCAA predictions...another espn article....
WESTERN KENTUCKY at TENNESSEE

Chris Low: Can Bobby Petrino go 2-0 against the SEC? The Vols also had a chance to hire him and passed. Regardless of what you think about him, the guy can flat out coach. But the difference in this game will be Tennessee’s big, veteran offensive line. … Tennessee 31, Western Kentucky 23

Edward Aschoff: Fresh off beating an SEC team that snubbed him, Bobby Petrino faces another one that said no. Tennessee made some exciting plays in the running game, and that will keep the Vols from being Petrino's second SEC victim. ... Tennessee 27, Western Kentucky 20

Reactions: 2 people
The game last week in the 2nd half should be all one needs to see to question the current VOLS team and wonder if WKU could upset us. We are still young and have a lot of inexperience at key positions. Defensive play will be key as well as how well we pound the ball down their throat. We won't win a shootout if it comes to one. We have to stay within our confort zone. I see a close game and a big play (Pick-Six, punt or K/O return) could decide it.

That 2nd half was played by 2nd/3rd string walk ons. Our first team never stepped on that field the second half:whistling:

Reactions: 1 person
In the 2009 season opener, UT soundly defeated wku to the tune of 63-7. Have the Vols fallen and wku risen enough to make this a competitive game Saturday? I don't under estimate Petrino because he is a very formidable coach, and he will have his team prepared for the game Saturday. I'm counting on UT to be tested but pass. If it goes like I think but will, UT should come away with about a 3 td win.

VN Store

Back