Prediction: How does 2024 Tennessee fare

8-4
Losses @ OK, UF, UGA, and Bama

Based on any objective measure I would have us beating Florida, but as last year showed, it’s hard to beat the curse even when you have the better team/coaches. So for now an L and I hope I’m wrong.

I don’t think Bama will take as big a step back as many expect. DeBoar may be unproven in SEC play but he’s inherited the most loaded roster of any new coach ever. Hard to F that up.

OK is an L because it’s Nico’s first SEC road game to a hostile stadium and it’s early in the season. If there are any bugs left to work out we’ll see them in Norman.

UGA is an L because they’re still ridiculously loaded and have top tier coaching to match. Gonna be a few recruiting cycles before we can match up toe to toe.

All other games are double-digit wins.
Last year's game against Florida was in the Swamp, where we haven't won in 21 years. We'll beat them this year in Knoxville by at least two touchdowns.

I feel like Oklahoma could be our Florida. I think it is more than about Florida being Florida, it is always that we play Florida first in the SEC every year. This year, Oklahoma is in their spot.
Agreed. I’ve always believed it was more about the timing than anything. I mean heck, look at when they had to push it back for the twin towers attacks.

Reactions: volbound1700
I really think we win the OU game. I know it's on the road but I think we have an advantage in the trenches on both sides. I believe our OL is better than their DL. I know our DL is better than their OL because they're breaking in new starters across the front.
And we have the better skill players. I think we win this game too. And if they let us get rolling, we could blow the top off it.

Reactions: 901 Orange
If Nico is as good as we think he is going to be, I say we go 10-2 with losses to OK and UGA (both tough road games) if he isn’t what we think.. 9-3 or even 8-4 at the worst.. I’m also very concerned with our secondary after the mass exodus over the offseason. Front seven and offensive weapons look strong going into the season - very confident in those groups.

Remember, 10-2 may be good enough to get into the playoff this year depending on our resume.. having a top 10 tough schedule will help us if we get to that point.

Chattanooga - Win

NC State (N, Charlotte) - Win

Kent State - Win

@ Oklahoma - win

@ Arkansas - Win

Florida - WIN, I c no way in they win in our house this year.

Alabama - win, total confusion in Tuscaloosa after shortys retirement

Kentucky - Win

Miss State - Win

@ Georgia - Win! It’s time to show up and show out. A BIG W in their house again would feel fantastic

UTEP - Win

@ Vanderbilt - Win

OH DAMN, Looks like we go undefeated.
I’m really hoping our DEFENSE takes a step to the next level, this is what we need for the elite team status.

I think 11-1 is the ceiling and bc it’s a tough schedule I think 7-5 is the floor.

At least 1 loss bc of such a hard schedule and I don’t mean this at all in a disrespectful way, but it’s going to be terribly tough to beat GA in Athens this season.

My ultimate prediction is a very respectable 9-3. A loss to GA, I think you guys split between OK and Bama, but unfortunately lose some other game bc of unfortunate events or just having a bad day.

On the bright side for you guys, I think we will see Nico become one of the top QBs in the country by season’s end.

Last edited:
I think 11-1 is the ceiling and bc it’s a tough schedule I think 7-5 is the floor.

At least 1 loss bc of such a hard schedule and I don’t mean this at all in a disrespectful way, but it’s going to be terribly tough to beat GA in Athens this season.

My ultimate prediction is a very respectful 9-3. A loss to GA, I think you guys split between OK and Bama, but unfortunately lose some other game bc of unfortunate events or just having a bad day.

On the bright side for you guys, I think we will see Nico become one of the top QBs in the country by season’s end.
That's very fair and about where I am at.

Reactions: DirtyDawg
8-4 should be the floor, I predict 9-3 with losses to Oklahoma, Bama and UGA.
This^^^. I think Bama is not goiyto be Bama of their heyday with Saban but, they won’t be bad either.

Just for flukes sake, a snake bite from either Florida or Arkansas may occur.

Something about them Cali guys but they are calm cool and collected which I think bodes well on the road in hostile environments… I’m predicting 11-1 but I say 9-3 is our worst if healthy we have about 5 toss up type games but we will have the best offense and defensive player in 4 of those… I like CJH with a full deck to get it done go Vols.

That's very fair and about where I am at.
I was hoping you or some other knowledgeable Vols might give me some insight on how the Vol’s offensive line will be this season. I know that you guys have Mays returning at center which is great, but I know little about the rest or the depth on the line. I’ve read that the TN line will likely be very good, I’m just interested to hear the opinions of some knowledgeable Vol fans.

I ask bc I honestly think the play of the O-line will be a major key to TN’s success this season. I’m very interested to hear any thoughts you or others might afford me in this and any will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I was hoping you or some other knowledgeable Vols might give me some insight on how the Vol’s offensive line will be this season. I know that you guys have Mays returning at center which is great, but I know little about the rest or the depth on the line. I’ve read that the TN line will likely be very good, I’m just interested to hear the opinions of some knowledgeable Vol fans.

I ask bc I honestly think the play of the O-line will be a major key to TN’s success this season. I’m very interested to hear any thoughts you or others might afford me in this and any will be much appreciated.
I think the OL will be pretty solid this year, better than last year barring injury. Mays is returned as you stated. Campbell returns as a RT now, Spraggins returned as a guard, and Lance Heard will be LT. The question mark I suppose will be the other guard, and depth. We have a bunch of bodies, but they're young and unproven. I look for it to be much improved over last year, but again if there are injuries we don't have much proven behind the starters. One of my biggest gripes about our OL decisions is that we don't get the young guys enough time in games.

Reactions: DirtyDawg
I think the OL will be pretty solid this year, better than last year barring injury. Mays is returned as you stated. Campbell returns as a RT now, Spraggins returned as a guard, and Lance Heard will be LT. The question mark I suppose will be the other guard, and depth. We have a bunch of bodies, but they're young and unproven. I look for it to be much improved over last year, but again if there are injuries we don't have much proven behind the starters. One of my biggest gripes about our OL decisions is that we don't get the young guys enough time in games.
Thanks for the response. I absolutely agree that not getting young linemen early experience is a big mistake. I think that learning to be an effective lineman is one of the hardest positions to learn in football, and not just on an individual level but being able to fit in and be a productive member of the line as a unit is paramount for success. And the best way to achieve this is by getting your guys experience playing together in game situations.

You can have tons of talent, but if your linemen can’t work together as a unit and feed off of one another they will not be nearly as effective. I think this is especially true when facing some of the defensive fronts found in the SEC.

Thanks again for your insight. Hopefully injuries will not be a big issue for either of our teams this season.

VN Store

Back