Progressive woke mob at it again

BTW, Idris Elba would be the biggest star ever to take on the role of Bond at the time of casting, right? I can confidently say that Dalton, Brosnan, and Craig were not as big of stars as Elba, but I wasn't alive when Moore and Connery.

BTW, Idris Elba would be the biggest star ever to take on the role of Bond at the time of casting, right? I can confidently say that Dalton, Brosnan, and Craig were not as big of stars as Elba, but I wasn't alive when Moore and Connery.
Moore was a TV star.
Connery was a nobody.

Russell Brand should be a dark horse candidate for the Role of Bond.

I can't see it. Has he ever actually "acted" beyond playing himself (which that personality doesn't seem like a great fit)?

I do like the idea of a lighthearted/funny Bond movie, but if they want him be anything like Daniel Craig's version, IDK.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
I can't see it. Has he ever actually "acted" beyond playing himself (which that personality doesn't seem like a great fit)?

I do like the idea of a lighthearted/funny Bond movie, but if they want him be anything like Daniel Craig's version, IDK.
Man, people freaked out over Craig. Bond with blonde hair and blue eyes????

Reactions: n_huffhines
The suspense around this is killing me….

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2022/01/21/mandms-rebrand-personalities/

The two female characters — formerly known as Ms. Green and Ms. Brown, but now dropping the title to de-emphasize gender — will team up as a “force supporting women, together throwing shine and not shade,” according to the announcement. They’re trading in their footwear, too: Green (who once modeled for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue) is swapping her high-heeled, go-go-style boots and strappy heels for “cool, laid-back sneakers,” and Brown (the newest addition to the cast, who has been portrayed as a brainy, powerful CEO type) is getting lower pumps because it’s 2022 and most of us aren’t tottering around the C-suite in stilettos. Green now will be more about confidence than sex appeal, M&M’s says.

Two of the mascots will embody the modern age’s dueling emotions. Yellow, per the brand, will be the optimist. In previous ad campaigns, Yellow appeared as the sort of dope of the group, often slow to catch on to the punchline of nearly every TV ad — that the humans in the commercials actually want to eat them. The 2022 version “has wisdom in his own right and forces us to see the world as it should be,” M&M’s says.

Reactions: 85SugarVol

Was a poor attempt at humor. I liked Daniel Craig a lot as Bond. I hope the person that lands the role is good.

Reactions: n_huffhines
https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2022/01/21/mandms-rebrand-personalities/

The two female characters — formerly known as Ms. Green and Ms. Brown, but now dropping the title to de-emphasize gender — will team up as a “force supporting women, together throwing shine and not shade,” according to the announcement. They’re trading in their footwear, too: Green (who once modeled for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue) is swapping her high-heeled, go-go-style boots and strappy heels for “cool, laid-back sneakers,” and Brown (the newest addition to the cast, who has been portrayed as a brainy, powerful CEO type) is getting lower pumps because it’s 2022 and most of us aren’t tottering around the C-suite in stilettos. Green now will be more about confidence than sex appeal, M&M’s says.

Two of the mascots will embody the modern age’s dueling emotions. Yellow, per the brand, will be the optimist. In previous ad campaigns, Yellow appeared as the sort of dope of the group, often slow to catch on to the punchline of nearly every TV ad — that the humans in the commercials actually want to eat them. The 2022 version “has wisdom in his own right and forces us to see the world as it should be,” M&M’s says.
1643061463066.gif

While not dead set in opposition I've never had much interest in changing up classic established characters. I like the idea of casting X role as "who best fits the role as described". Some things can sort of work, Tom Cruise bears practically no resemblance to the canon Jack Reacher for instance, but anyone unfamiliar with the source material (which would be most movie consumers) wouldn't know that to be the case. James Bond is completely and utterly iconic. As others have stated if one wanted to have a new 007 that's literally an agent#, not a person. James Bond is a person and I personally find it irksome to go futzing around with the aforementioned "best fits the role" iconic description.

Having said all that I don't like Elba here just for the age. He's already 50. I think Cavill ticks basically all the boxes but I don't know how the Witcher (or even Superman) thing wouldn't be an issue scheduling. My short list would include

Clive Standen(40)
Richard Madden(35)
Tom Hardy(44)

Reactions: FLVOL_79
While not dead set in opposition I've never had much interest in changing up classic established characters. I like the idea of casting X role as "who best fits the role as described". Some things can sort of work, Tom Cruise bears practically no resemblance to the canon Jack Reacher for instance, but anyone unfamiliar with the source material (which would be most movie consumers) wouldn't know that to be the case. James Bond is completely and utterly iconic. As others have stated if one wanted to have a new 007 that's literally an agent#, not a person. James Bond is a person and I personally find it irksome to go futzing around with the aforementioned "best fits the role" iconic description.

Having said all that I don't like Elba here just for the age. He's already 50. I think Cavill ticks basically all the boxes but I don't know how the Witcher (or even Superman) thing wouldn't be an issue scheduling. My short list would include

Clive Standen(40)
Richard Madden(35)
Tom Hardy(44)
Which characteristics do you view as “essential” to the James Bond character?

Here we are discussing race.

Bond as Female?
Bond as American?
Bond as Gay?

Which characteristics do you view as “essential” to the James Bond character?

Here we are discussing race.

Bond as Female?
Bond as American?
Bond as Gay?

As close to the established classical description as one can manage to cast. I've no use for any of those cited characteristics as Bond. Basically 007 is up for grabs. (though not sure how you could pull off being overtly American)

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I like a female Bond, but not as a replacement for Bond movies. I'd be cool with a re-imagined franchise that runs side by side with a male Bond.

I don't think Bond is the same person if he's American, and I think making him gay changes too much in story dynamics.

None of this would bother me, I just wouldn't prefer it.

I like a female Bond, but not as a replacement for Bond movies. I'd be cool with a re-imagined franchise that runs side by side with a male Bond.

I don't think Bond is the same person if he's American, and I think making him gay changes too much in story dynamics.

None of this would bother me, I just wouldn't prefer it.
There is no way James Bond can be American imo.

Reactions: AM64
And what actions are they taking to remedy racist ballet?

Turning it into a scene from the Vonnegut short story "Harrison Bergeron." If you haven't read it, I highly suggest that you do. Short summary:

In the year 2081, the 211th, 212th, and 213th amendments to the Constitution dictate that all Americans are fully equal and not allowed to be smarter, better-looking, or more physically able than anyone else. The Handicapper General's agents enforce the equality laws, forcing citizens to wear "handicaps": masks for those who are too beautiful, loud radios that disrupt thoughts inside the ears of intelligent people, and heavy weights for the strong or athletic.

One April, 14-year-old Harrison Bergeron, an intelligent, athletic, and good-looking teenager, is taken away from his parents, George and Hazel Bergeron, by the government. They are barely aware of the tragedy, as Hazel has "average" intelligence (contextually meaning stupidity), and George has a handicap radio installed by the government to regulate his above-average intelligence.

Hazel and George watch ballet on television. They comment on the dancers, who are weighed down to counteract their gracefulness and masked to hide their attractiveness. George's thoughts are continually interrupted by the different noises emitted by his handicap radio, which piques Hazel's curiosity and imagination regarding handicaps. Noticing his exhaustion, Hazel urges George to lie down and rest his "handicap bag", 47 pounds (21 kg) of weights locked around George's neck. She suggests taking a few of the weights out of the bag, but George resists, aware of the illegality of such an action.

On television, a news reporter struggles to read the bulletin and hands it to the ballerina wearing the most grotesque mask and heaviest weights. She begins reading in her unacceptably natural, beautiful voice, then apologizes before switching to a more unpleasant voice. Harrison's escape from prison is announced, and a full-body photograph of Harrison is shown, indicating that he is seven feet (2.1 m) tall and burdened by three hundred pounds (140 kg) of handicaps.

George recognizes his son for a moment, before having the thought eliminated by his radio. Harrison himself then storms the television studio in an attempt to overthrow the government. He calls himself the Emperor and rips off all of his handicaps, along with the handicaps of a ballerina, whom he proclaims his "Empress". He orders the musicians to play, promising them nobility if they do their best. Unhappy with their initial attempt, Harrison takes control for a short while, and the music improves. After listening and being moved by the music, Harrison and his Empress dance while flying to the ceiling, then pause in mid-air to kiss.

Diana Moon Glampers, the Handicapper General, enters the studio with a ten-gauge double-barreled shotgun and kills Harrison and the Empress. She threatens the musicians at gunpoint to put on their handicaps again, but the television goes dark. George, unaware of the televised incident, returns from the kitchen and asks Hazel why she was crying, to which she replies that something sad happened on television that she cannot remember. He comforts her and they return to their average lives.

Turning it into a scene from the Vonnegut short story "Harrison Bergeron." If you haven't read it, I highly suggest that you do. Short summary:
That’s like… 8 paragraphs, man.

Edit: Well that was depressing. Thanks, Ash

VN Store

Back