Proposed bill would shorten California workweek to 32 hours.

Why is TN having such success in gaining business and subsequent needed employees?
Maybe we shouldn't attract businesses if we don't want the people they would hire to come here.

Edit: and that doesn't contradict the fact that a lot of housing inflation is due to out of state investors who buy at a premium and don't move here.

Maybe we shouldn't attract businesses if we don't want the people they would hire to come here.

Maybe if they didnt vote like that do they wouldn't have to leave their progressive high tax and high cost of living states

California is a disease that’s spreading …. The influx of escapees into TN has already f’ed up the housing market. There is no such thing as affordable housing in the greater Nashville area now.

It’s everywhere. In upstate SC they’re clearing land and throwing up apartments and subdivisions by the thousands. It’s ridiculous.

Maybe if they didnt vote like that do they wouldn't have to leave their progressive high tax and high cost of living states
So your premise is that we are doing good by bringing these businesses to Tennessee, but we are hurting ourselves by bringing the people that follow them?

...and you called me an idiot because of a "Christmas Story" joke.

Last edited:
So your premise is that we are doing good by bringing these businesses to Tennessee, but we are hurting ourselves by bringing the people tjat follow them?

It’s almost like states are trying to bring in business without it helping the actual residents of that state. I’m sure that’s it.

I think that's not a "Californians fleeing California" issue, it's a "Tennessee is gaining businesses that are hiring" issue... and the Californians that are driving prices up in Tennessee are buying up property in Tennessee as investment property, they aren't moving here.
https://www.newschannel5.com/news/r...y-californians-are-moving-to-middle-tennessee

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-12-28/californians-moving-nashville?_amp=true

Californians keep moving to Nashville, a new perspective from LA anchor

It's almost like you read my mind. From your link...

Two California companies were transformative in our ‘it’ city theme,” said David Steele Ewing, a historian and ninth-generation Nashvillian. “One was Asurion, that moved its corporate headquarters in 2003 from San Mateo. That was a huge vote of confidence in the community. And in 2005, Nissan moved. Before Nissan moved here it was hard to get meetings with companies. But after, everyone took the meetings of the economic development team.”

Nashville further earned its sobriquet by luring well-known chefs who’ve opened now-packed restaurants and new hotels, Ewing said.

Reactions: volfanhill
seems if it was guaranteed to improve productivity and other positive outcomes most companies would already be doing it. sure some wouldn't be forward-thinking enough to make the change but the realities of competition and hiring issues should have already pushed companies here if those gains were so likely.

If companies go to 32 hours, most people will only work about 25 hours.

So your premise is that we are doing good by bringing these businesses to Tennessee, but we are hurting ourselves by bringing the people that follow them?

Problem is they bring their communist leanings with them.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I see the usual suspects showed up to explain why California doesn’t suck all that bad. We can’t have that great example of a failed state be on display of what not to do.

Reactions: allvol123
80% of California’s workforce will be excluded from this legislation. If the affected jobs can be done remotely they can either incent the employees to move or hire out of state. If your product has any national presence good luck passing these increased expenses onto the market.

It’s everywhere. In upstate SC they’re clearing land and throwing up apartments and subdivisions by the thousands. It’s ridiculous.
Here in Florida as well. There are no more orange groves at all around me. It sucks.

Here in Florida as well. There are no more orange groves at all around me. It sucks.
Well from the TN side, we no longer have to worry about our youth baling hay and cutting tobacco, because that land is all cheap houses on .1 acre lots and apartments.

Reactions: hog88
California could adopt a four-day workweek. Is that a good thing?
“If they introduce this, businesses will reduce employment through hiring freezes and layoffs,” he told the Chronicle, and many companies would move to neighboring states.

The California Chamber of Commerce warned that the four-day week would make hiring more expensive. The bill now appears on the organization’s annual list of potential “job killers.”

The following suggests it was not the resounding success that is claimed
The success of Iceland's 'four-day week' trial has been greatly overstated

But I don’t think widespread adoption of the four-day week will come easily or necessarily all in one go. Instead it’s going to have to come incrementally.

It took half of the 20th century and a great deal of campaigning against concerted employer opposition for workers in Western industrial societies to reduce their standard working week from 60 hours over six days to 40 hours over five days.

It’s just not likely to come as effortlessly as these misleading reports suggest.

Last edited:
Mandates are BS. Tax incentives may be a better route. Offer tax breaks to companies who give employees the option to work as little as 32 hours while simultaneously giving tax breaks to individuals based on how many hours above 32 they work. Let the companies and their employees decide what is fair and worthwhile financially. Spoiler... It'll never happen...

VN Store

Back