Pruitt waiting until AFTER ESD to hire OC?

I don’t get all the comments that make it sound like the sky is falling and Pruitt is clueless. CJP is recruiting and the lack of an OC - only at the moment - isn’t as much of a negative as some are making it out to be. He knows what he’s selling and his desired play style - which the OC will obviously match.

Some seem to forget this guys insane ability to recruit for which he has been widely praised throughout his career.

The sky is not falling because a couple weeks have gone by and some just can’t R-E-L-A-X

I don’t get all the comments that make it sound like the sky is falling and Pruitt is clueless. CJP is recruiting and the lack of an OC - only at the moment - isn’t as much of a negative as some are making it out to be. He knows what he’s selling and his desired play style - which the OC will obviously match.

Some seem to forget this guys insane ability to recruit for which he has been widely praised throughout his career.

The sky is not falling because a couple weeks have gone by and some just can’t R-E-L-A-X

He lost the recruiting touch?

I've known a number of players who have been recruited over the years. To think they don't care who the OC is is laughable. I know people who literally have had the coaches bring the playbook with them and explain to them exactly where they fit in and how they will be used in the offense. People have apparently forgotten that we signed Manning because of Cutcliffe. We lost any shot at Eli once Cutcliffe was gone. Chris Simms also said he decommitted due to Cutcliffe leaving. The OC makes a major difference to many of these guys. Especially ones who have aspirations of being in the NFL. Tee Higgins decommitted from us and went to Clemson after getting to know and bonding with Clemson OC Jeff Scott "Clemson and Tennessee were my main two schools," Higgins said. "Tennessee was in front, and then the last two weeks, me and Coach Scott got real, real close. " Tons of other examples of this too.

We have a big ole ? hanging over our already shaky offense and have had it during the 3 or so most important weeks of the recruiting calendar, when these guys are supposed to be out on the road closing these deals.

This door should have been closed within a week of Pruitt knowing Helton was leaving. Which I imagine was a week or two before he did at the latest.

Just reading the tea leaves, it seems like Pruitt has settled on someone who is already employed by a rival and who may have a clause in his contract that prevents him from taking a lateral move before the early signing period. That is just my best guess, and I have no idea who it could be.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Pruitt wants to adhere to Tennessee's excellent tradition of hiring coaches?
Only his hair dresser knows for sure, um well, maybe not, how bout remote viewers?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Our current pitch to offensive skill players, as I imagine it: We gon' 'cruit big boys and run dem ball. 'Aight?

Cornbread.

Honestly Beecher, it is what it is and life will go on whatever happens, but whatever is or isn't going on at this point is not a good look.
If what Matthews has said in regards to him having his guy are correct and that there could be a delay in announcing it, its gonna be hard to make look like anything else until it's over.

Just reading the tea leaves, it seems like Pruitt has settled on someone who is already employed by a rival and who may have a clause in his contract that prevents him from taking a lateral move before the early signing period. That is just my best guess, and I have no idea who it could be.

+1 I think this might be true!

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
I've known a number of players who have been recruited over the years. To think they don't care who the OC is is laughable. I know people who literally have had the coaches bring the playbook with them and explain to them exactly where they fit in and how they will be used in the offense. People have apparently forgotten that we signed Manning because of Cutcliffe. We lost any shot at Eli once Cutcliffe was gone. Chris Simms also said he decommitted due to Cutcliffe leaving. The OC makes a major difference to many of these guys. Especially ones who have aspirations of being in the NFL. Tee Higgins decommitted from us and went to Clemson after getting to know and bonding with Clemson OC Jeff Scott "Clemson and Tennessee were my main two schools," Higgins said. "Tennessee was in front, and then the last two weeks, me and Coach Scott got real, real close. " Tons of other examples of this too.

We have a big ole ? hanging over our already shaky offense and have had it during the 3 or so most important weeks of the recruiting calendar, when these guys are supposed to be out on the road closing these deals.

This door should have been closed within a week of Pruitt knowing Helton was leaving. Which I imagine was a week or two before he did at the latest.

Yea, I agree. I also don't see how other schools can keep from laughing when talking to any recruit about "why you shouldn't go to Tennessee".

I just think about what I'd be saying if I was a coach on the recruiting trail for ......

So we’re down to opinions? Ours differ.

Why did I venture into the FF today..... why didn’t you warn me on the RF.... people still upset about the OC thing........ haven’t they heard it’s going to be a heck of a weekend?

Absolutely. This search has been incompetence at its finest. If this secrecy and delay is over a crappy in staff promotion will cost us in the long run recruiting wise. However, if the delay is due to a good coach not wanting to be a distraction it will cost us in the short run but benefit us in the long run. We cannot afford another lackluster class

Reactions: goooooovols
You would think somebody on their end would be proud enough to tell everybody.
You’d think and I’d think but neither of us have anything to go on but past evidence and that evidence says that our AD is incompetent to the fullest degree so I am wagering on that fact.

Think about this! If we get offensive guys to sign , they’ll be coming because they love Tennessee, they wouldn’t be signing because of who their offensive coach is lol! Gotta think positive!

You’d think and I’d think but neither of us have anything to go on but past evidence and that evidence says that our AD is incompetent to the fullest degree so I am wagering on that fact.
Eh. The last head coaching hire was played out in the media like a good comedy. This one is substantially more different from that. So either they aren't screwing as bad as some think or they re doing a better job of hiding it.

Reactions: butchna

I don’t know about “not caring” but frantically obsessing over it like the members of this board? No way possible. 😏

PAST evidence of Fulmer as an AD? Had Pruitt hired in pretty much a week...interviewed twice before the decision. What “evidence” are you basing his INCOMPETENCE on?

Eh. The last head coaching hire was played out in the media like a good comedy. This one is substantially more different from that. So either they aren't screwing as bad as some think or they re doing a better job of hiding it.
Hope you are right and sorry for my ranting and raving, I’m honestly just tired, fed up and ready for this hire to prove we are not a total cluster ****! I was hoping after Kentucky that we had turned the corner but in recent fashion I was slammed to earth, lol

VN Store

Back