Question for the older Vols?

dieseldaddy

Dear older vol brothers,

I'm watching some older great all time great vol football games. I'm watching the 1967 vol bama game. I know most of the great game from about 1989 onwards. Give me some games from before that. Great bama games are especially important.

Thanks to all that continue my educational journey.

What year vs. Bama did we pick off so many passes that the very next year Bear switched to the wishbone? I'm thinking around 69 or 70?

Reactions: Pacer92
BTW.........

There have been much bigger wins in UT history, but the win over Notre Dame in 1979 was HUGE at the time. We forget how big that was!

I loved Jimmy Streater before this game, but he became a legend after this win!

79 Notre Dame
82-83-84-85 gumps
80 @Aubie 85 Aubie
86 Sugar (Miami)
71? Sugar (Air Force)
I was at the 1971 Sugar Bowl. I was 17 years old and played in a high school marching band that won a competition and was awarded a spot to perform in the Sugar Bowl Parade. It was the only game Ive ever got to see in person but that was the day I fell in love with the Vols. To top the day off, I was watching the game and looked down two row and saw my oldest brother. I didn't know he was going to be there. One of the best two days of my life.

Lots of memories brought back. One game that I didn’t see listed —the Rosebonnet Bowl in Memphis 1965. Vols 37 UCLA 34. A cold dreary DEC day in Liberty Bowl Stadium. Vols were going to Bluebonnet Bowl in Houston and UCLA was Rose Bowl bound. Dewey “Swamp Rat” Warren scored winning TD on QB keeper barely getting into end zone late in 4th quarter. UCLA coach Prothro had grown up in Memphis and was upset over officiating. Said after the game he was ashamed to be a Southerner. Our safety Bobby Petrella had INT on last play of game and was either hit by someone coming off UCLA bench or tackled into their sideline and slugged. That was my first away game as Vol fan/I was a young pup 10 years old.

Dear older vol brothers,

I'm watching some older great all time great vol football games. I'm watching the 1967 vol bama game. I know most of the great game from about 1989 onwards. Give me some games from before that. Great bama games are especially important.

Thanks to all that continue my educational jou

My first in person TN football game 1959
TN vs #1 LSU
TN won when LSU failed a 2 pt conversion
My first game was the 88 bama game. I've posted this before but my best friend and I go to every TSIO. We joined the Army together. He's a gump other than that I love the guy. I'm not necessarily looking for just great wins. I don't necessarily mind watching a loss from a great game. For instance the 09 gump game.

My first game was the 88 bama game. I've posted this before but my best friend and I go to every TSIO. We joined the Army together. He's a gump other than that I love the guy. I'm not necessarily looking for just great wins. I don't necessarily mind watching a loss from a great game. For instance the 09 gump game.
That was a good one albeit a loss... Keith DeLong had about 23 tackles in that game (which was stolen from us by the refs with that bad call on a hard hit).

And thank you for your service... where were you stationed?

VN Store

Back