Question for the older Vols?

Prior to their 38-0 loss to Ole Miss, the '69 team was a powerhouse and was rumored to have an invitation to play Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl. One of the highlights of that season was a 45-19 slaughter of a very good Auburn team. See .

BTW.........

There have been much bigger wins in UT history, but the win over Notre Dame in 1979 was HUGE at the time. We forget how big that was!

I loved Jimmy Streater before this game, but he became a legend after this win!

Lots of good memories from this game. My dad took me and it was probably the biggest game I'd been to at the time. I can still see in my mind the goal line stand and Craig Puki stuffing the RB.

Dear older vol brothers,

I'm watching some older great all time great vol football games. I'm watching the 1967 vol bama game. I know most of the great game from about 1989 onwards. Give me some games from before that. Great bama games are especially important.

Thanks to all that continue my educational journey.
56 Ga Tech -Vols 6 Jackets 0, they were #2 we were #3

59- Vols 14, defending NC, undefeated and #1 ranked LSU 13

65- Vols 7, defending NC Alabama 7. Unfortunately the 3 coaches were killed in the train /car crash Monday after the game

65- Vols beat Rose Bowl champ UCLA in Memphis

66 Vols 18, Syracuse with Larry Csonka and Floyd Little 12 in Gator Bowl

67 Alabama as you mentioned

70- Vols 24, Alabama 0 and next week 38 Florida with Doug Dickey return as coach 7

71- Vols 31 Penn State 14

79 Vols kill Notre Dame

82 Alabama

85 Vols beat #1 Auburn with Bo Jackson

86 Sugar Bowl, Vols 35 Miami 7. Considering the margin of victory and calibre of opposition the best game any Vol team ever played

We were in Neyland that day. Truly awesome experience. Bear Byrant's last game in Knoxville, & Bama went down to the Vols.
And Neyland Stadium gave the The Bear a standing O when he walked out on the field prior to kick off. I’ll never forget it . It was pure class by our fans and then we thumped them, stormed the field and carried the goal posts to The Strip. Proud to be a Tennessee Volunteer! GBO.

What year vs. Bama did we pick off so many passes that the very next year Bear switched to the wishbone? I'm thinking around 69 or 70?
This one? (props to si for making these treeasures available)

The 1950 Kentucky game almost certainly was the only game in our series during which both teams were then ranked in the top 10; we emerged victorious, 7-0, in a game that was preceded by heavy snow. See

during bear bryant's days at ky

I remember Mom telling me that her father seriously injured himself when he slipped on the ice at a UT-UK game in early 50s, and I assume this was the game. Can remember being at his bedside watchnig Vols play A&M a few
years later

BTW.........

There have been much bigger wins in UT history, but the win over Notre Dame in 1979 was HUGE at the time. We forget how big that was!

I loved Jimmy Streater before this game, but he became a legend after this win!

Talk about a wild weekend The Eagles provided the evening entertainment at Stokely after we trounced the Irish. Many empty kegs in our apt courtyard Sunday morning.

during bear bryant's days at ky

I remember Mom telling me that her father seriously injured himself when he slipped on the ice at a UT-UK game in early 50s, and I assume this was the game. Can remember being at his bedside watchnig Vols play A&M a few
years later
The ice game was later in the 1950s. I don’t remember the year, but I was in school when it occurred. The temperature. Was in the high teens and there was about 8 inches of snow and ice on the field and ground. I remember after the game, a couple of guys were carrying an intoxicated woman on their shoulders and every step or two, she would raise he head up and yell “Go Big Blue”. I immediately decided I would never put myself in the same position of that drunk woman.

Reactions: ArdentVol
This one? (props to si for making these treeasures available)

I was also at this game which was played in Birmingham. One of the great games Tennessee played against Alabama. If I recall correctly, Walter Chadwick threw a half-back pass to Richmond Flowers for the go ahead TD before Dorsey had his unbelievable 4th quarter defensive plays.

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back