Question for the older Vols?

1970 game vs UF.

If ya know the history, you know why.............

National TV game on ABC. The Goodyear Blimp was probably in town for that one.

There were ads on TV leading up to the game with Bill Battle asking UT fans to keep it classy with Dickey’s return to Knoxville. When Dickey was introduced after the players for TV the cheers actually were louder than the boos. I’m pretty sure I saw him do a double take when the fans were mostly cordial.

BTW.........

There have been much bigger wins in UT history, but the win over Notre Dame in 1979 was HUGE at the time. We forget how big that was!

I loved Jimmy Streater before this game, but he became a legend after this win!

And this was the greatest coaches show of all time. Majors was fired up.

Dear older vol brothers,

I'm watching some older great all time great vol football games. I'm watching the 1967 vol bama game. I know most of the great game from about 1989 onwards. Give me some games from before that. Great bama games are especially important.

Thanks to all that continue my educational journey.
1967 vol/bama

Reactions: dieseldaddy
BTW.........

There have been much bigger wins in UT history, but the win over Notre Dame in 1979 was HUGE at the time. We forget how big that was!

I loved Jimmy Streater before this game, but he became a legend after this win!

We had to play Hubert Simpson when he was a McMinn Cherokee and it was not pretty... like trying to stop a freight train, he had about 250 yards rushing against us and I dont think he even played in the 2nd half

1973 versus Kansas in Memphis. The KU QB was David Jaynes - 4th in the Heisman. Eddie Brown lost some teeth blocking a kick and had a couple of huge returns.
Isn’t that the game where Kansas jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the first half and we came back to win with Eddie Brown winning the game almost single handed?

Isn’t that the game where Kansas jumped out to a 21-0 lead in the first half and we came back to win with Eddie Brown winning the game almost single handed?

Jayhawks Gamble and Lose By Jack Lindberg A Member of the Sports Staff Memphis— K a n s a s came close to having its finest— or at least one of its finest— hours of football yesterday before falling to powerful Tennessee 28-27 before a crowd of 43716 in Memphis Memorial Stadium In the end the Jayhawks’ loss can be attributed to a KU fumble a Tennessee run-back of a punt and a blocked field goal The No 1 man of the hour for Tennessee was free safety Eddie Brown who also plays on the Volunteer specialty teams Brown a 184-pound senior blocked a field goal attempt by Bob Swift of KU from the 16 when KU led 14-7 with only seconds left in the first quarter Two of Brown’s front teeth were broken in the process Early in the third quarter Dave Jaynes who again shattered his single-game-passing records hit Steve Elliott a reserve fullback for a 7-yard pass but Elliott fumbled and Brown pounced on it In five plays the Vols moved 42 yards and got to within 21-14 Then in the fourth quarter with KU clinging to its 7-point margin Marc Harris punted 42 yards to Brown on the Tennessee 38 Brown returned the ball 48 yards to the KU 20 and in two plays the Vols had It tied “The turning point was definitely that fumble and then that punt return” Don Fam-brough the Kansas coach said “They set it up good (the punt return) and executed it well” In the other dressing room Coach Bill Battle of Tennessee said: “Eddie Brown did the best job of turning around a football game of anybody I’ve ever seen It was a matter of pride We had to get after them” Even after tailback Haskell Stanback T-omped four yards around right end for his second touchdown of tbe game to put the Vols ahead 28-21 with 7:42 left to play the Jayhawks made a couple of runs at victory Jaynes who bit 88 of II passes for 394 yards and three touchdowns then marched his team 70 yards in 10 plays with the clincher being a 17-yard TD pass to flanker Bruce Adams on a fourth-down play KU went for the victory instead of the tie Jaynes was smeared by most of the Vol left side as the KU quarterback tried to run in a 2-pointer The Tennessee tackle chart had Brown in on this tackle too There was 3:15 on the clock Kansas got the ball back with 1:54 left and managed six plays Jaynes previously had hit 25 of 46 passes in a single game (Washington State 1972) and this was his seoend biggest yardage total having gained 401 also in that Washington State game It started as expected as tha eighth-rated Volunteers took the opening kickoff and slammed 80 yards in 10 plays with fullback Bill Rudder blasting his 225 pounds over right guard and then cutting left for 30 yards and a score Kansas and Jaynes came smoking back He hit his first nine passes on the 13-play 67-yard tieing march Jaynes was 7 for 7 including a 4-yarder to fullback Robert Miller that made it 7-7 Following the KU kickoff quarterback Condredge Holloway made a bad pitch to See MISSED Page 4 3.

Dear older vol brothers,

I'm watching some older great all time great vol football games. I'm watching the 1967 vol bama game. I know most of the great game from about 1989 onwards. Give me some games from before that. Great bama games are especially important.

Thanks to all that continue my educational journey.

these are fun t watch, if you haven't seen

1971 Liberty Bowl against Arkansas. I grew up in Memphis, and the game was blacked out for TV in Memphis. We had friends in Forest City, Arkansas, who could get the game from a Little Rock station. They were avid Razorback fans. Bobby Majors played on that team. Tennessee won 14-13. Our friends did not like it that we were so happy, lol.

What year vs. Bama did we pick off so many passes that the very next year Bear switched to the wishbone? I'm thinking around 69 or 70?

In 1970, we intercepted eight passes and held Alabama scoreless for the first time since 1959, 24-0. TENNESSEE ROUTS ALABAMA BY 24‐0 (Published 1970). In 1969, we had a 34-0 lead before pulling our starters in the fourth quarter and coasted to a 41-14 victory. As Steve Kiner came off the field, he chastised the tidy bowl boys by stating, "Look at that old man (Bryant). He looks pitiful. There was a time when those red jerseys meant something." I met Coach Fulmer once and asked him about this incident. He said "The strange thing is that Steve actually said that."

See and .

Last edited:

VN Store

Back