Quick thoughts after watching old Cincy games.

Dougie_D

1. We will be blitzing a ton.

2. We should be able to defend screens very well.

3. QB's that are good with audibles will kill us. (Bama)

4. Our secondary will still be terrible.

5. We will block at least 2 field goals.

6. We will probably be blocked at least once.

7. The most ACCURATE thrower will win the starting job. NOT the best runner.

8. The HARDEST runner will be our best RB. Not the fastest. Break/Miss tackles will be the key.

9. Our fastest WR will be our go to guy. Route running won't be a big deal. Every other WR will basically be decoys.

10. TE's won't be a deep threat. Short passes and then they have to bulldoze through.

11. We will run screens a ton.

12. Redzone scoring will be difficult for us. It's either QB run or hope for a great pass in endzone.

Reactions: 3 people
i hope we blitz more. but, blitzing too often iyam shows me a lack of confidence in coverage ability, or a slow defense.

one thing we WON'T have to be concerned with as fans after this recruiting cycle is when the DC calls a blitz, us not having the speed to get to the qb.

we just need some Dl to clog that middle

So why aren't you the coach and why are we paying this guy called Butch Jones. I know ppl who don't know anything but you sir don't even suspect anything. Im still shaking my head at this.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't think people are willing to give Butch Jones the credit for being a good coach. He is not a scheme. He is a coach. A good coach builds around the team, the team strengths, and bolsters weaknesses. I do not expect the BIG ORANGE to be Cincy ver 2.0.

Reactions: 39 people
OrangeByBirth said it. Idk how you're trying to break down how our football is going to be played without considering strengths and weaknesses. Butch used his best talents in ways that he thought would give him the best chance of winning.

Reactions: 1 person
The only comparisons that can be made are scheme obviously. Our talent level is head and shoulders above what Cincinnati had when CBJ was there. It's hard to say what this team is gonna look like, we don't even know who our starting QB is. Baby steps friends, baby steps.

Reactions: 6 people

8. The HARDEST runner will be our best RB. Not the fastest. Break/Miss tackles will be the key.

9. Our fastest WR will be our go to guy. Route running won't be a big deal. Every other WR will basically be decoys.

10. TE's won't be a deep threat. Short passes and then they have to bulldoze through.

12. Redzone scoring will be difficult for us. It's either QB run or hope for a great pass in endzone.

Are you also saying we're going to lose to Derek Dooley every year?

Reactions: 6 people
I'm predicting whoever is the most ACCURATE passer will be our QB. I don't think the mobility is much of a factor. It helps for sure...meaning the QB can't be shy about running the ball, but they don't have to be actually good at it. Just the most accurate passer. Which one is that?

How many 'games' did you watch? Were you familiar enough with the players to know their tendencies, strengths? I feel you're right about the screen game, both offensively & defensively, but I also think other things you mentioned will vary depending on the strengths & weaknesses of the individual players - like WR decoys, field goals, etc

smh at this.......so now this OP has our 2013 UT team all figured out from watching youtube highlights of Old Cincy teams? riiight.

I don't think people are willing to give Butch Jones the credit for being a good coach. He is not a scheme. He is a coach. A good coach builds around the team, the team strengths, and bolsters weaknesses. I do not expect the BIG ORANGE to be Cincy ver 2.0.

THIS^ He should try to build around our strengths, not just convert us into Cincy. IMO

All you can know is tendencies. We will see trick plays. Some of those things will carry over, some of them won't. Jones had to adjust to the talent.

incredibly-stupid.gif

Reactions: 2 people

You really think watching 1 game is the blueprint for our offensive/defensive/sepecials teams tendencies? If that were the case we would have been contending for the SEC championship game based on that Cinci game. Good coaches build a team around whats available not their system.

I like this thread, because it is thoughtful, makes some specific observations and stimulates conversation.

But I think where the OP missed the boat was in using the evidence to draw conclusions. And, as others have already stated, we can't draw conclusions based on how Cincinnati teams performed. Maybe some of the tendencies will transfer, but this team will be Tennessee, through and through.

Reactions: 5 people

Overall, some good observations - for Cinci. Do not agree with the premise that we will do the same things as Cinci. I do generally agree with 2, 7, 8, 11. Jones will fit the scheme to the strengths of the team. He is an accomplished head and position coach that has demonstrated he knows how to win. You will even see power, QB under center packages in short yardage at times.

If you will take about 5 seconds, that might have been because of talent level at last check the mighty BIG ORANGE has the number 1 recruiting class going should stay in top 5 all the way to NSD, give him time till recruits like Hurd get there ofcourse this year is going to be a rough one playing with someones else players.:loco:

I determined after watching several Cincy games is that beer is best when very cold and they put too much air in the bags of chips so you need 2 bags to get you through watching all the games. <belch>

Reactions: 4 people
:rock:It is so simple this is TENNESSEE enough said coach gets it he knows what it takes he has the it factor, in time the BIG ORANGE will rise and defeat all, trust in coach he will seek and destroy all that gets in our way coach is on a mission.

VN Store

Back