Rage Quit: Low pay, short hours are taking their toll

It's easy to decline work, have "balls", or view your worth to be greater then it actually is, when the government is giving you money. Crazy. That's how this exists. They aren't wage quitting. They are wage enjoining ******** money that was stolen from our future. But hey let's celebrate screwing our kids and grand kids over. The single biggest threat to our children's future is our debt.

Last edited:
OK so I finally read the article. I have some mixed opinions about what I read.

1. 60 years ago, a job in the service industry could do a lot better at supporting a small family than it can today. I think that is due to a combination of wage suppression and USD deterioration. That is a Federal Reserve issue.
2. People with no skills have to adapt to the current environment, as a result. This means that decisions about family and discretionary purchases have to be taken seriously. That is an individual issue.
3. I may have missed it in that article, but I don't think I read a single man's story in that article complaining. It seemed like mostly women.
4. This thing will correct itself, but probably not in the way that the author or the workers may hope. Either a bunch of these service industry jobs will just go away or the stores will find a way to do with fewer workers... or automate.

Or maybe the federal government killed the market with three stimulus checks and a $300 per week kicker for those on unemployment.

Unless something has changed that I missed, you don't get unemployment when you voluntarily leave a job.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Lets ease up on the theatrics just a bit.

Have you ever tried to hire and keep employees at a store where all the head manager does is insult, berate, throw bags of food, etc? That's why I left fast food and will encourage my kids to ask around about management demeanor when the time comes for them to get their first jobs.

Have you ever tried to hire and keep employees at a store where all the head manager does is insult, berate, throw bags of food, etc? That's why I left fast food and will encourage my kids to ask around about management demeanor when the time comes for them to get their first jobs.
Why? Its better they deal with a bad boss while they are young and learn to either deal with it or be determined to never work fast food when they are adults. I'm not sure I can speak for every one else, but but I know I had some bad fast food jobs in my life.

Why? Its better they deal with a bad boss while they are young and learn to either deal with it or be determined to never work fast food when they are adults. I'm not sure I can speak for every one else, but but I know I had some bad fast food jobs in my life.

Why should anyone put up with a bad boss in any field? I've dealt with more than my fair share, and it reflects very poorly on the people who hired them.

And I'm not talking about a tough boss. My first night manager was an even-keeled ball buster who made you do it over if you didn't do it right. His voice is still in my head. "If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean." That's what I want for my kids, not a disconnected tyrant.

Unless something has changed that I missed, you don't get unemployment when you voluntarily leave a job.
What has changed is you used to have to actively be seeking a job to keep unemployment regardless of how you lost a job through no fault of your own.

Only a few states have reverted back to that requirement which was waived at the onset of Covid.

Unemployment also used to have a cap based off a % of your filed earnings. It was never meant to be welfare which the stimulus has turned it into.

I'm a diesel mechanic. There's an industry shortage of mechanics and tire techs. Anyone willing to prove themselves on tires can start at 15 an hour and have a path to 6 figures within 5 years.

What has changed is you used to have to actively be seeking a job to keep unemployment regardless of how you lost a job through no fault of your own.

Your full post is very important and I agree with a good portion of it, but I just wanted to clarify that the article we're talking about is concerning people who are voluntarily leaving jobs now and will not be receiving compensation.

We went out to eat the other night, service was horrible, not because they weren't trying, they were working hard...... But you could tell they were understaffed. I overheard the manager give discounts to two other tables around me. He was patient with his staff and was out there doing everything he could to help them. Other tables got angry with the servers and manager. They just went seeing the big picture. I was patient because I knew they were doing the best they could. I won't go back for a while. Hopefully they can get people who want to work. Times are really weird right now.

Your full post is very important and I agree with a good portion of it, but I just wanted to clarify that the article we're talking about is concerning people who are voluntarily leaving jobs now and will not be receiving compensation.
Thanks. Whether I agree or disagree with you in the threads I read, I always find your point of view insightful.

I found the article to be more sensational than relevant. It's focus seemed to be entirely on the fault of the employers, while assessing no culpability to the employees themselves. If you can't drive past your old 7.25 hour job because it "makes you sad", then maybe you weren't qualified to work there to begin with. Just to play devil's advocate, couldn't there be underlying issues of psychological fortitude to begin with? I find focusing on retail jobs to require examining the roles of employers, employees, and clients. This article only provides a naive perspective from disgruntled employees.

I know plenty of people that have rage quit. I worked as a chef for 20 years before switching careers. I've certainly seen several examples of employees rage quitting because of a bad boss. I've also seen several examples of people 'rage quitting' because their boss held them accountable and they weren't willing to do their jobs.

The most common example I've seen are sympathetic employee to employer scenarios. "I'm sorry, I just can't take this anymore.... I don't know how you do it...."

What I've seen the most of, and my friends in the service industry concur(particularly since Covid), is customers are absolutey unreasonable. Many retail services are only able to provide partial service due to staffing issues and deal with a deluge of entitled ingrates everyday.

I'll refrain from any diabrate about capitalism leading to the highest standard of living since the industrial revolution......... and just state any notion of a magic 15 hour minimum wage solving all issues is fallacy until the government quits supplanting jobs with welfare.

Thanks. Whether I agree or disagree with you in the threads I read, I always find your point of view insightful.

I found the article to be more sensational than relevant. It's focus seemed to be entirely on the fault of the employers, while assessing no culpability to the employees themselves. If you can't drive past your old 7.25 hour job because it "makes you sad", then maybe you weren't qualified to work there to begin with. Just to play devil's advocate, couldn't there be underlying issues of psychological fortitude to begin with? I find focusing on retail jobs to require examining the roles of employers, employees, and clients. This article only provides a naive perspective from disgruntled employees.

I know plenty of people that have rage quit. I worked as a chef for 20 years before switching careers. I've certainly seen several examples of employees rage quitting because of a bad boss. I've also seen several examples of people 'rage quitting' because their boss held them accountable and they weren't willing to do their jobs.

The most common example I've seen are sympathetic employee to employer scenarios. "I'm sorry, I just can't take this anymore.... I don't know how you do it...."

What I've seen the most of, and my friends in the service industry concur(particularly since Covid), is customers are absolutey unreasonable. Many retail services are only able to provide partial service due to staffing issues and deal with a deluge of entitled ingrates everyday.

I'll refrain from any diabrate about capitalism leading to the highest standard of living since the industrial revolution......... and just state any notion of a magic 15 hour minimum wage solving all issues is fallacy until the government quits supplanting jobs with welfare.

First, thank you for the kind words. They are appreciated.

My friends and students in service industries echo exactly what you've said; the unreasonable treatment by customers is out of hand. We're all frustrated and everyone deserves a heaping helping of grace right now.

I am not an advocate for the $15 minimum wage; a flat, across the board standard only works if there are no regional variations in living costs. And while I agree that capitalism has brought us the greatest standard of living, I am afraid we are seeing a growth of corporatism attempting to masquerade as capitalism. With businesses increasingly paying to have rules written in their favor, Joe Citizen will start to lose out more and more.

Reactions: midnight orange
First, thank you for the kind words. They are appreciated.

My friends and students in service industries echo exactly what you've said; the unreasonable treatment by customers is out of hand. We're all frustrated and everyone deserves a heaping helping of grace right now.

I am not an advocate for the $15 minimum wage; a flat, across the board standard only works if there are no regional variations in living costs. And while I agree that capitalism has brought us the greatest standard of living, I am afraid we are seeing a growth of corporatism attempting to masquerade as capitalism. With businesses increasingly paying to have rules written in their favor, Joe Citizen will start to lose out more and more.
It's why more people should have a history working service. Then they understand and are less likely to be jerks themselves in the future.

Reactions: 508mikey and AshG
It's easy to decline work, have "balls", or view your worth to be greater then it actually is, when the government is giving you money. Crazy. That's how this exists. They aren't wage quitting. They are wage enjoining ******** money that was stolen from our future. But hey let's celebrate screwing our kids and grand kids over. The single biggest threat to our children's future is our debt.
Jobs everywhere in Chattanooga starting at 10-12$ an hour being advertised.

Guaranteed hours, though? I hope so. I like Chattanooga.
There are 2 Hvac companies offering sign on bonus and training for those with no experience. The electrical apprentice program is less than half full. The owner of Schrader construction was standing on the side of the road with a sign needing workers at 18$ an hour. Every restaurant in town needs staff. The perfect 10 strip bar is now hiring 7s and 8s. There is no job shortage problem with a lack of hours. There’s a massive entitlement problem brought to us by the people teaching or kids though

. There’s a massive entitlement problem brought to us by the people teaching or kids though

I see both sides.

I've talked about this with my dad on several occasions. He used to give me the "Back in my day..." talk when I'd have three days in a row off from one of my jobs. "Can't pay for your books if you're not working." Well, duh. But you can't work if your manager isn't scheduling anyone the hours they need. I actually started going in and cleaning the stock room or organizing the cooler off the clock just so I didn't have to listen to him wax about how he had all these hours at my age, so what's my problem.

But I stumbled onto another lesson in the midst of it: when you make yourself indispensable, the hours come. Then the responsibilities. And if you keep it up, they're offering you your very own store at the age of 20.

And while I can only speak anecdotally, the lack of hours is what's driven several of my students to find new jobs. What good is $12 an hour if you're only getting 15-20 hours a week even as a reliable employee?

VN Store

Back