Rage Quit: Low pay, short hours are taking their toll

Unless something has changed that I missed, you don't get unemployment when you voluntarily leave a job.
In most states you did this last year. The unemployment offices were overwhelmed and weren't verifying anything. They just recently started checking to see if you were trying to find work here in GA by calling places you claimed to apply to. That started back up less then a month ago.

I ran the numbers for Alabama a month ago or so and with the Federal 300 kicker the break even between UE pay and a job was close to 30K. The Federal money more than doubled the state UE pay.

I ran the numbers for Alabama a month ago or so and with the Federal 300 kicker the break even between UE pay and a job was close to 30K. The Federal money more than doubled the state UE pay.
Karma would be wages going down.

I see both sides.

I've talked about this with my dad on several occasions. He used to give me the "Back in my day..." talk when I'd have three days in a row off from one of my jobs. "Can't pay for your books if you're not working." Well, duh. But you can't work if your manager isn't scheduling anyone the hours they need. I actually started going in and cleaning the stock room or organizing the cooler off the clock just so I didn't have to listen to him wax about how he had all these hours at my age, so what's my problem.

But I stumbled onto another lesson in the midst of it: when you make yourself indispensable, the hours come. Then the responsibilities. And if you keep it up, they're offering you your very own store at the age of 20.

And while I can only speak anecdotally, the lack of hours is what's driven several of my students to find new jobs. What good is $12 an hour if you're only getting 15-20 hours a week even as a reliable employee?
If you aren't getting enough hours, get another job. One summer in college I worked at Krispy Kreme, lifeguarded at a pool, and worked at a convention center for big events. I worked 50-60 hours a week that entire summer. If people want jobs they're out there. Every place I see has a hiring sign out front.

If you aren't getting enough hours, get another job. One summer in college I worked at Krispy Kreme, lifeguarded at a pool, and worked at a convention center for big events. I worked 50-60 hours a week that entire summer. If people want jobs they're out there. Every place I see has a hiring sign out front.
When I drove across to New Mexico in May that was the case. Everything we walked into had help wanted. Usually with some type of bonus or extra incentives. I can only remember one place that didnt, and I remember because it was the only one and I made note of it.

I was thinking the same thing when I posted about Obamacare possibly being why employers are only hiring people part time. I just forgot to throw that in.

a friend of mine laughs because I'm always telling a story of some place I worked as either a teen or in college. I had every crappy job you could have. Summer of my Junior year in High School is the only time I didn't work since I was 12. No allowance meant anything I wanted besides room and board was on me.

Reactions: NEO
The OP mentions basic human dignity. A big problem is that our society has devolved to the point that welders, mechanics, farmers, carpenters, plumbers, and other essential professions are looked down upon while leftist politicians are arguing to forgive student debt for sociology, gender studies, and art history majors.

Last edited:
a friend of mine laughs because I'm always telling a story of some place I worked as either a teen or in college. I had every crappy job you could have. Summer of my Junior year in High School is the only time I didn't work since I was 12. No allowance meant anything I wanted besides room and board was on me.
It's amazing what being responsible for your own means teaches you.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol

I had to read that penultimate sentence about 3 times before it registered.

The OP mentions basic human dignity. A big problem is that our society has evolved to the point that welders, mechanics, farmers, carpenters, plumbers, and other essential professions are looked down upon while leftist politicians are arguing to forgive student debt for sociology, gender studies, and art history majors.
I agree with the sentiment of the first half of your post, but disagree a bit with demonizing a group of young people that has had society and the media pushing them into college and racking up this debt over the last 40 years.

I think the truth is that the people running our society that did look down on those other professions ended up removing resources from the vocational schools and demonized the trades and told these kids that their best path to the American dream was to go to college and make these banksters and universities rich. Plus, the universities serve as a breeding ground for the next generation of collectivists.

My daughter is 14. She wants to work to earn money for a tablet. She obviously can't work at traditional places due to her age. So she had begun baby sitting one of our neighbors two kids and working at a retired couples house doing work in her garden. If you want or need something you find a way.

We should be pushing trade schools to the vast majority of high school students. There is no reason for 50 to 60% of people who go to college to be they are spending money on a useless piece of paper and end up competing with High School grads and GED recipients for entry level positions.

Last edited:
My daughter is 14. She wants to work to earn money for a tablet. She obviously can't work at traditional places due to her age. So she had begun baby sitting one of our neighbors two kids and working at a retired couples house doing work in her garden. If you want or need something you find a way.

We should be pushing trade schools to the vast majority of high school students. There is no reason for 50 to 60% of people who go to college to be they are spending money on a useless piece of paper and end up competing with High School grads and GED recipients for entry level positions.
This. I will never donate any money for college educations. Especially after that Yale lecture. I will help kids with trade/votech, but not college. Im done with it.

Reactions: 508mikey
just in case there's any confusion - I was talking about my parents allowing me to live in their home and eat their food. For some reason they declined to provide me with any income :)

I thought that you were Doogie Howser for a second. If I had a 12 year old in the 11th grade I’d give them whatever they wanted. Then hopefully they’d take care of the old man later on down the road.

Reactions: LouderVol
Who made the smarter move?

The guy who learned a trade coming out of high school, making close to or over $100k with no debt,

Or the guy who went to college for a worthless degree, makes $30k a year with $120k in student loan debt?

Of course I do blame society, media, universities, etc. for pushing worthless degrees.

I agree with the sentiment of the first half of your post, but disagree a bit with demonizing a group of young people that has had society and the media pushing them into college and racking up this debt over the last 40 years.

I think the truth is that the people running our society that did look down on those other professions ended up removing resources from the vocational schools and demonized the trades and told these kids that their best path to the American dream was to go to college and make these banksters and universities rich. Plus, the universities serve as a breeding ground for the next generation of collectivists.

I didn’t really demonize the essential gender studies workers but rather “our society”.

Reactions: 508mikey

VN Store

Back