Rage Quit: Low pay, short hours are taking their toll

I see both sides.

I've talked about this with my dad on several occasions. He used to give me the "Back in my day..." talk when I'd have three days in a row off from one of my jobs. "Can't pay for your books if you're not working." Well, duh. But you can't work if your manager isn't scheduling anyone the hours they need. I actually started going in and cleaning the stock room or organizing the cooler off the clock just so I didn't have to listen to him wax about how he had all these hours at my age, so what's my problem.

But I stumbled onto another lesson in the midst of it: when you make yourself indispensable, the hours come. Then the responsibilities. And if you keep it up, they're offering you your very own store at the age of 20.

And while I can only speak anecdotally, the lack of hours is what's driven several of my students to find new jobs. What good is $12 an hour if you're only getting 15-20 hours a week even as a reliable employee?

It's very good for people that only need 15-20 hours per week. All kinds of situations.

The jobs are there for people who want them. Warehouses are scrambling to fill shifts and try to keep up with increased demand. My company is offering up to $1k signing bonuses for customer service reps and struggles to fill those. Pretty sure the Walmart near us has been hiring for night shelf stockers for months because i joke with my wife about doing it every time I see the sign

There is an overreaching victim mentality permeating society these days which leads to these situations. No one is owed anything, including a certain wage.

Your full post is very important and I agree with a good portion of it, but I just wanted to clarify that the article we're talking about is concerning people who are voluntarily leaving jobs now and will not be receiving compensation.
People are leaving jobs due to “low pay” and accepting no job with no pay? I see this as a people issue more than an employer issue.

I see both sides.

I've talked about this with my dad on several occasions. He used to give me the "Back in my day..." talk when I'd have three days in a row off from one of my jobs. "Can't pay for your books if you're not working." Well, duh. But you can't work if your manager isn't scheduling anyone the hours they need. I actually started going in and cleaning the stock room or organizing the cooler off the clock just so I didn't have to listen to him wax about how he had all these hours at my age, so what's my problem.

But I stumbled onto another lesson in the midst of it: when you make yourself indispensable, the hours come. Then the responsibilities. And if you keep it up, they're offering you your very own store at the age of 20.

And while I can only speak anecdotally, the lack of hours is what's driven several of my students to find new jobs. What good is $12 an hour if you're only getting 15-20 hours a week even as a reliable employee?
Sounds like your students didnt learn your lesson.

How many do you think actually go out of their way to request more time, and have a real talk not just say something on the side? Dont complain about time on weekends or late shifts? Cover shifts for others? Do a good job? Earn the extra time?

These bosses know their people, know most wont show up on time, do a good job, complain if worked. Heck we have examples of people requesting fewer hours to stay on welfare in Washington, and probably elsewhere. The guys doing schedules arent mind readers. Any decent boss is going to listen to his people.

Being proactive about stuff is how things get done. Most people have enough going on where they arent going to start doing new things or different things because it might be better than the current plan.

There are 2 Hvac companies offering sign on bonus and training for those with no experience. The electrical apprentice program is less than half full. The owner of Schrader construction was standing on the side of the road with a sign needing workers at 18$ an hour. Every restaurant in town needs staff. The perfect 10 strip bar is now hiring 7s and 8s. There is no job shortage problem with a lack of hours. There’s a massive entitlement problem brought to us by the people teaching or kids though

200.gif

Those who need more, though, need honesty up front. Both directions.
I'm not sure if this is still in play, but I know for a while that Obamacare also prevented employers from hiring full time workers because they would have had to offer them health care. So these employers were working people 30 hours a week or less.

Unless something has changed that I missed, you don't get unemployment when you voluntarily leave a job.
So how's that "rage quitting" thing working out for her? This is the market doing exactly what it should be allowed to do. If no one takes that job that "Kendra" walked out of, they will pay more and/or improve the conditions. If not, the company will suffer. Dollar General owed her nothing.

Have you ever tried to hire and keep employees at a store where all the head manager does is insult, berate, throw bags of food, etc? That's why I left fast food and will encourage my kids to ask around about management demeanor when the time comes for them to get their first jobs.
sage advice.

Reactions: 508mikey
Oh, I was assuming it was factual. I figured that Only Fans and social media had pushed the 10s online and the strip clubs were left with midgets and The Missing Link.

Nope, just the midgets. My brother moved to Seattle and is working as library tech support now.

Why should anyone put up with a bad boss in any field? I've dealt with more than my fair share, and it reflects very poorly on the people who hired them.

And I'm not talking about a tough boss. My first night manager was an even-keeled ball buster who made you do it over if you didn't do it right. His voice is still in my head. "If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean." That's what I want for my kids, not a disconnected tyrant.
The purpose of a high school job isn't as much about making money as it is about learning responsibility and introducing that young person to life. Having a bad boss is either a teachable moment for how to behave as an employee or it could be motivation for that person to not want to work for anyone else and be their own boss.

The purpose of a high school job isn't as much about making money as it is about learning responsibility and introducing that young person to life. Having a bad boss is either a teachable moment for how to behave as an employee or it could be motivation for that person to not want to work for anyone else and be their own boss.
When I was training new hire pilots a few years back, I would always tell them that they will learn far more from a bad captain than a good one. It's true

Reactions: Wireless1
Why should anyone put up with a bad boss in any field? I've dealt with more than my fair share, and it reflects very poorly on the people who hired them.

And I'm not talking about a tough boss. My first night manager was an even-keeled ball buster who made you do it over if you didn't do it right. His voice is still in my head. "If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean." That's what I want for my kids, not a disconnected tyrant.
People can’t discern between a tough boss and a bad boss anymore.

Why? Its better they deal with a bad boss while they are young and learn to either deal with it or be determined to never work fast food when they are adults. I'm not sure I can speak for every one else, but but I know I had some bad fast food jobs in my life.
Bad bosses aren’t confined to the FF industry. I’ve had more bad bosses than good ones over my career but, then again, what constitutes a bad boss changes from person to person. I agree with you. We all want what’s best for our kids but what’s best isn’t for everything to be perfectly smooth all the time as that isn’t life. The earlier they learn to deal with conflict and difficulty the better, at least up to a certain point.

Very true.
My boss now is definitely tough. He has little patience for incompetence, a poor attitude, making excuses, and lack of effort. He’s a fantastic boss though because he cares about his people, improves his people, and elevates his people. There’s more I could say of course. The bottom line is some people can’t handle his strong personality and tough love so they don’t stick it out but I have zero doubt he is acting in my best interest and taking great care of me because he’s proven it multiple times the last few years. And that’s why I’ll never leave. I’ve been offered opportunities for significantly more money but some things are more important than money and I’m not hurting for anything.

Bad bosses aren’t confined to the FF industry. I’ve had more bad bosses than good ones over my career but, then again, what constitutes a bad boss changes from person to person. I agree with you. We all want what’s best for our kids but what’s best isn’t for everything to be perfectly smooth all the time as that isn’t life. The earlier they learn to deal with conflict and difficulty the better, at least up to a certain point.
Exactly. My point was that it was better that they deal with the experience early in life rather than later.

VN Store

Back