Random, Thoughts, X,XXIV

Yes, but they EXPLODED when the pharma companies started pushing them. Free samples to the docs? And then handed on free to patients? C’mon now, we all know what that was about. They were looking for people like those who are posting here, who hit some level of dependence/addiction, and who had to struggle to get off them. They were “creating a market.”

Humans (and many other animals) are physiologically drawn to intoxicants. It’s easy to point fingers, but many of us will give things a whirl out of curiosity, and maybe some thrill-seeking, and often a very legitimate desperation to reduce pain.

When substances are prescribed by a physician (and pushed by the distributors, who profit by the sales), added to that inborn curiosity and thrill-seeking, no one should be surprised in retrospect that we created a huge class of addicts. Sure, easy to say that patients should have said OMG, no, I don’t want this chit, but that’s pretty (IMO) judgmental and unrealistic.

I have a moderately addictive personality, I guess. If it weren’t for the fact that oxys and friends (a) didn’t give me a buzz and (b) made me vaguely feel like chit, I could have been one of those pillbillies too, although I guess whatever the middle class soccer mom category would be called.

tl;dr: opiates were con sciously marketed to vulnerable populations, and surprise, surprise, Bad Things happened. I’m all about individual responsibility, but there are definite villains here, and I don’t think it’s the ones you’re pointing to.

totally agree, and despite undergoing too many surgeries, morphine drips and opioid scripts have never felt pain pills provided adequate relief. I'm apparently lucky to have never felt that pills were getting their hooks but don't think I could say that about uppers, or know how I would handle legal weed considering how I navigated the days when lids went for no more than 20 bucks . Thankfully, I never had any friends who are crackheads or junkies .

Cigarettes were the hardest thing to quit and, for many years I found coffee an around-the-clock companion.

Last edited:
Nicotine addiction is bad ass.
no $&*%
I haive often blamed those 25-cent cigarette machines that were in every nook and cranny on my alma mater's campus in the tarheel state. I quit countless times and found my myself cutting back to on or two packs a week when the office smoking ban went into effect. Cut back further, but it took a prostate cancer diagnosis to terminate my marlboro red dependency

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back