Random, Thoughts, X,XXIV

Sure, but Medicaid didn’t get them addicted.

Someone is providing these pills, and there’s a market for them, because someone helped get them addicted. This didn’t just fall out of the sky.
I get it, but opiates have been around in some form for a long time.
There were "pillbillies" around when I was in school.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
If I had my sh*t together in college, I had the opportunity to go into pharmaceutical sales after I graduated. I worked for a healthcare company part time while in college.

I would have made a lot of money, but I’m glad it didn’t work out.
I worked for a pharmaceutical company as a rep for a few years between construction superintendent and starting the company I just sold. Pharmaceutical companies are evil.

I talk to mom and she doesn't even take all hers she takes a quarter of what they give her. She takes the rest to be thrown away and I told her I couldn't of done that I would have took them because it gave me energy.

Last edited:
What did you get your degree in? I don’t remember ever seeing this.

Transportation & Logistics. I worked in a distribution center. The bosses loved me. They said get your degree and we will get you into sales in one of three cities of my choice. They showed me the books of the salesmen, it was insane how much they made.

If I had my sh*t together in college, I had the opportunity to go into pharmaceutical sales after I graduated. I worked for a healthcare company part time while in college.

I would have made a lot of money, but I’m glad it didn’t work out.

I had choice of two internships my junior year of college. One was related to pharma sales; the other was an Fortune 50 energy company that gave interns stock options.

Which one would you choose?

Reactions: VolNExile
Transportation & Logistics. I worked in a distribution center. The bosses loved me. They said get your degree and we will get you into sales in one of three cities of my choice. They showed me the books of the salesmen, it was insane how much they made.

Pablo Escobar was in the transportation and logistics business as well in South Florida.

I had a gruesome injury 25 years ago. It happened after another Peyton loss to the Gators.

I lived in a small town and the hospital had surgeons on call. There were a limited number of Doctors and everyone knew all of them. One of them had a well deserved reputation for over prescribing.

Fortunately, the doctor on call that night was one that under prescribed. I was in a lot of pain for a couple of months, but I didn’t get hooked. And morphine is a helluva drug.

They fawked me up. They made me superman When I worked and my I injury didn't hurt and I had so much energy on them and they was prescribed but I was a addict.
I would pop Percocets and get drunk, made me feel invincible. Like literally, I couldn't feel anything, I'd get tipsy enough to get rough, and that's hard to deal with, cause I couldn't feel anything anybody would do. Until the next day, then I'd hurt, and do it again. Thankfully, and it may be silly to some, Jesus changed me. That's why I loved doing bible study at the men's recovery home. I understand what they felt, and they related to me, and many of them would sincerely let me try to help them. I have no doubt I'd be dead if I hadn't changed. I'm too little, had too big of a mouth, somebody would've eventually killed me🤣

I would pop Percocets and get drunk, made me feel invincible. Like literally, I couldn't feel anything, I'd get tipsy enough to get rough, and that's hard to deal with, cause I couldn't feel anything anybody would do. Until the next day, then I'd hurt, and do it again. Thankfully, and it may be silly to some, Jesus changed me. That's why I loved doing bible study at the men's recovery home. I understand what they felt, and they related to me, and many of them would sincerely let me try to help them. I have no doubt I'd be dead if I hadn't changed. I'm too little, had too big of a mouth, somebody would've eventually killed me🤣
I love you the more I know you. No homo:)

Reactions: joevol33
I get it, but opiates have been around in some form for a long time.
There were "pillbillies" around when I was in school.
Yes, but they EXPLODED when the pharma companies started pushing them. Free samples to the docs? And then handed on free to patients? C’mon now, we all know what that was about. They were looking for people like those who are posting here, who hit some level of dependence/addiction, and who had to struggle to get off them. They were “creating a market.”

Humans (and many other animals) are physiologically drawn to intoxicants. It’s easy to point fingers, but many of us will give things a whirl out of curiosity, and maybe some thrill-seeking, and often a very legitimate desperation to reduce pain.

When substances are prescribed by a physician (and pushed by the distributors, who profit by the sales), added to that inborn curiosity and thrill-seeking, no one should be surprised in retrospect that we created a huge class of addicts. Sure, easy to say that patients should have said OMG, no, I don’t want this chit, but that’s pretty (IMO) judgmental and unrealistic.

I have a moderately addictive personality, I guess. If it weren’t for the fact that oxys and friends (a) didn’t give me a buzz and (b) made me vaguely feel like chit, I could have been one of those pillbillies too, although I guess whatever the middle class soccer mom category would be called.

tl;dr: opiates were consciously marketed to vulnerable populations, and surprise, surprise, Bad Things happened. I’m all about individual responsibility, but there are definite villains here, and I don’t think it’s the ones you’re pointing to.

UT’s T&L program was pretty famous, even among those of us majoring in Ancient Mediterranean Civilizations. 🤪

VN Store

Back