Reactions to Vols Living Outside Vol Country

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
What reactions do you get when sporting Vols-wear outside Tennessee?

My wife and I live in Kentucky, She wore her Rise to the Top shirt to work Wednesday. Students and staff basically wanted to know what was wrong with her. Landscaper, uh. . .ahem, insulted her. A few secret Vols-ers fist pumped and high-fived her. When she entered Kroger on the way home, many folks stood away from her with frowns on their faces. But one bold clerk waved wildly at her and pointed to the white power T on his orange cap.

I once entered a Walmart here dressed in orange head to toe. People literally moved away from me as if I had leprosy or something. The clerk actually glared at me. On the way to a Vols game last year, we stopped in Corbin for breakfast at Cracker Barrel. The waitress assigned to us refused to serve us. That was OK because though she was not a bad looking gal in her late 30's or early 40's we got a 20-something cutie who oozed hospitality. Never said it, or indicated it but I suspect she was a Tennessean. She had this smile when serving us and a smirk when passing by the lady who refused to serve us. Cutie got a darn fine tip you can be sure of that. But we no longer stop there when heading for games. We go to CB closer to Knoxville now.

So what happens when you show your colors out of state?

Reactions: 4 people
The leg humpers love us around here, very respectable fan base is what they are (sarcasm). It's getting worse, though, as about half of them have jumped on the bammer bandwagon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
What reactions do you get when sporting Vols-wear outside Tennessee?

My wife and I live in Kentucky, She wore her Rise to the Top shirt to work Wednesday. Students and staff basically wanted to know what was wrong with her. Landscaper, uh. . .ahem, insulted her. A few secret Vols-ers fist pumped and high-fived her. When she entered Kroger on the way home, many folks stood away from her with frowns on their faces. But one bold clerk waved wildly at her and pointed to the white power T on his orange cap.

I once entered a Walmart here dressed in orange head to toe. People literally moved away from me as if I had leprosy or something. The clerk actually glared at me. On the way to a Vols game last year, we stopped in Corbin for breakfast at Cracker Barrel. The waitress assigned to us refused to serve us. That was OK because though she was not a bad looking gal in her late 30's or early 40's we got a 20-something cutie who oozed hospitality. Never said it, or indicated it but I suspect she was a Tennessean. She had this smile when serving us and a smirk when passing by the lady who refused to serve us. Cutie got a darn fine tip you can be sure of that. But we no longer stop there when heading for games. We go to CB closer to Knoxville now.

So what happens when you show your colors out of state?
Dressing up in orange from head to toe will definitely get you some reactions. Very hard to pull off.

Dressing up in orange from head to toe will definitely get you some reactions. Very hard to pull off.

No it's not. UT cap, orange shirt, orange pants, orange socks, and black shoes. Only reason for black shoes is my orange slippers are too worn out to use but head to toe is easily doable.

Honestly, Arky fans here really couldn't care less. We're just not a big rival for them, so the attitude is more "meh" than anything else.

No it's not. UT cap, orange shirt, orange pants, orange socks, and black shoes. Only reason for black shoes is my orange slippers are too worn out to use but head to toe is easily doable.

Just like when women wear too much makeup, it's possible to over do it. Dial it down a bit imo.

Just remember when you are treated rudely by some azzholes you have over (and I'm guessing) at least 500K + UT Vols Fans that are walking behind you though you don't see us. So dress loud & proud & show your true color of UTK Orange whenever you desire. At least this dude in W.TN backs you up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I have lived in Lexington for 5 years (moving back to TN soon). Most people don't say anything except near game days. My wife was threatened by 3 fat drunk guys at Commonwealth 3 years ago when we beat them in the overtime game. The cops stopped them before I could...

I have been to that same Cracker Barrell off of exit 29 (to meet in laws who live in Knox bc about halfway) several times. Never had a problem at all there. Almost meet as many UT fans (for football anyways) as KY ones.

I usually am walking around half orange though (shirt and hat but normal pants/jeans) so maybe full orange pushes it over the edge and makes them run away!

I talk a little trash with Razorbacks, Sooners, Longhorns in Arkansas, but for the most part no one cares. Got one Bama fan I give hell to, though.

I'm in Buckeye country. You would be surprised how many Tennessee fans live in Ohio. Huge fan base here. OSU people just accept us. They don't really give us much grief. It's almost as if we have some illness and it will all be over soon anyway, so let us have our fun while we can kind of attitude.

Reactions: 2 people
I've gotten the Texas reaction, too. I just tell them, "No, the real UT."

Very few people here seem to take note at all. If they see orange, most of them probably just assume it's Oregon State. Those who do react are mostly fellow Vols -- yes, in Oregon.

VN Store

Back