Reactions to Vols Living Outside Vol Country

A little off subject, but how about reactions of people to Big Orange attire in the state of Tennessee? My co-worker, and also former Vol student, told me he saw a pic of Jalen Hurd's prom pic and he was wearing a white tux with orange vest and his date had a white dress with orange corsage. Sounds like he really is all in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Whenever sporting the Power T, I always get "Texas huh"

I was stationed in Texas for a few years in the military and always got the same thing. There are a few things you can say that will politely shut them up.

"Can you not tell the difference between Tennessee orange and your own school's burnt orange"?

"You do know Tennessee was a college before you were even a state, right"?

"Why, when Texas went off on its own, did they get someone from Tennessee to run everything for them? Was there no one from Texas smart enough to do that?"

Just a few examples of ways to get Texas fans to stop acting so big. It worked for me in the 80's.

My heart bleeds orange and I have been on the roller coaster ride of success and failure more than once. I will always support Big Orange but I try to do it with class and dignity. Sometimes I slip up but I am human.

Reactions: 7 people
Every single trip I go on I meet vol fans.

We are everywhere

Fact is the whole SEC crowd is a proud bunch. Just recently made our way up to pikes peak, by way of the old cog railway. Once a board, I was greeted by a couple of Tennessee fans, followed by a couple representing LSU colors. Oddly, the LSU fans wanted to compliment us on our women's softball team, go figure?

Side note: My wife and I made sure we got to the top first. I told you the SEC is a proud bunch.

The reaction the OP receives in Kentucky is easy to explain. They hate being reminded how big of losers they are.

Reactions: 1 person
Honestly, Arky fans here really couldn't care less. We're just not a big rival for them, so the attitude is more "meh" than anything else.

Where at in arkie?

Where I'm at I catch hell and looks. I think they are still sore of the 98 game and beating them in Fayetteville 63-20 a few years ago.

Where at in arkie?

Where I'm at I catch hell and looks. I think they are still sore of the 98 game and beating them in Fayetteville 63-20 a few years ago.

I'm in Little Rock. You being closer to the U of A probably makes up the difference.

Fact is the whole SEC crowd is a proud bunch. Just recently made our way up to pikes peak, by way of the old cog railway. Once a board, I was greeted by a couple of Tennessee fans, followed by a couple representing LSU colors. Oddly, the LSU fans wanted to compliment us on our women's softball team, go figure?

Side note: My wife and I made sure we got to the top first. I told you the SEC is a proud bunch.

You shut you're whore mouth.

Reactions: 3 people
Where at in arkie?

That score sounds like what the Hogs did to us a few yrs ago when we could not tackle a punt returner....haha.

Not a glance in the Bay Area, other than from a couple of other Vols I've bumped into. I've actually gotten thumbs up from other displaced SEC-ers (Arkansas and Bama, believe it or not.) College sports aren't as big a deal around here.

I suppose that since people don't even glance (more than once, anyway) if you're wearing nothing but feathers and a tutu, radioactive orange attire won't produce a twitch on the Richter personal appearance scale. I saw a patient in his fifties a while back in full Star Trek uniform; engineering colors I think.

--the car flags do produce some bafflement, though. I don't think I've ever seen a car flag around here, even during Giants pennant runs.

Reactions: 2 people
Wonder if anybody at prom made fun of his choice of tux colors? Doubt it, don't you?
The kid is probably a walking legend at his school, so I doubt anyone makes fun of him, period. Plus, he bagged probably the best prom date in the state of Tennessee.

I wear my colors proudly when I go to Bama. I either get "Go Vols", "Go Big Orange", or some other equally acceptable greeting from the Tenn fans. I get good natured ribbing from Bama fans, 99% of the time with mutual respect, and we share a laugh or two. The Auburn fans I ignore or basically feel sorry for. They are, after all, barners.

OP makes it sound much worse than it is. Sounds like they show fear when amongst the KY jelly crowd. They are after all, the anal lubricant of the SEC.

I've been wearing orange of some sort since I was a kid and grew up a Vol fan in Kentucky. I've lived in South Carolina, Virginia, Illinois, Indiana, and 11 years in Texas prior to moving back to Tennessee. The Tennessee brand has always been recognizable wherever I was, including Texas. Didn't get too much negativity except in Kentucky; my years in SC were pre-SEC years. I lived in Illinois in the 1990's and there was lots of recognition there and none of it was negative; the Vols played Northwestern in the Citrus Bowl while I was there and Peyton took care of business. I had lots of colleagues in Texas from all the schools - Texas, A&M, Tech, Houston, TCU, and the rest. From my Texas friends, many of them felt that if someone confused Tennessee with Texas they weren't really knowledgeable. The Texas orange is considerably darker -- I call it brown. There were lots of good natured conversations. Many times conversations ended up with the Longhorns and the Aggies taking pot shots at each other. I went with a Texas grad to a game in Austin and wore my Power T cap to the game. My friend wanted to see the reaction as much as I did. There was not as much visible recognition as I thought. I do remember being in a meeting once with lots of engineers and attorneys and the group represented most of the major universities in Texas and elsewhere. One boastful person from Texas saw my UT ring which I always wear, orange stone of course, and commented on my "Texas" ring. One of the attorneys, a friend and graduate of Georgia with a law degree from Vandy said, "He's from the Tennessee, the real UT." One thing Tennesseans can say that Texas cannot refute -- it was primarily Tennesseans who died defending Texas in the Alamo, their biggest city is named after a Tennessean, and the real UT was established before the "cow college in Austin". I borrowed that last one from an Aggie.

Reactions: 5 people
I've run into a couple of folks up here that sport the Power T. We usually exchange a few hellos and a go vols. It's pretty rare though. Half the UM fans aren't UM fans unless they're winning. MSU fans are pretty respectable.

I don't even own that much orange stuff. It's sort of a hard color to pull off.

I'm in Illinois and the reaction I get most is people telling me that Tennessee has a "sissy orange" and that the Fighting Illini is the REAL orange. They are all saying it in fun and have never had anyone be disrespectful about it. I mean really, most Illini fans know and admit they have nothing for us.

I live in Overland Park, Kansas. I grew up in Tennessee and my whole family here bleeds orange. Shockingly, there is an alumni club here that gets together to watch all the games at the local Coach's Bar and Grill. I wear a little orange everyday and I get an occasional go vols or GBO!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

That score sounds like what the Hogs did to us a few yrs ago when we could not tackle a punt returner....haha.

Yeah dmac and Felix jones put a whipping on us. But the following year Fulmer gave a whipping back. Felix was out the 1st quarter and dmac spent the rest of the game on his back.

I have worn my colors all over the world. I agree with the poster that said to tone it down a bit. I usually wear a UT polo style shirt or my favorite is a black C&B windshirt with the power T. I wear it so much that I don't even think about the T. One time I was in Seattle walking down the street and someone passing says Go Vols! They kept walking and I couldn't figure out for a while who recognized me until I realized the power of the power T. Most often in far away places like California or other foreign lands, people want to come up and talk about the Vols. One guy in Cali came up at a street fair and wanted me to know he had been to a game in Neyland many years ago and what a great experience he had. I can say the power T get a lot of respect world wide.

Currently I live in Marietta,GA and honestly I don't get a lot of negativity. Most of the people who say anything are fellow Vols. Sometimes I get the occasional uga fan who just wants to talk football but rarely anything really bad.

VN Store

Back