Realities of „Free Healthcare“

I’ve worked in health care for over 40 yrs. I’m about done so I’ll tell the truth. Our govt promises us great benefits with Medicare but only pays 30% of the actual cost of care thus requiring providers to cost shift against those without Medicare.

Medicare for all sounds great but it will destroy the system we have. It will result in long waits for care, restrictions & limitations that we don’t currently experience. Many providers will go out of business. The waits will only grow. People will suffer, some will die waiting for care But it will be cheaper. Make your choice like your, your families life depends on it cause it does.

There’s many changes that must be made. Pharmacy, for example, has got to get under control but govt takeover won’t be what you think

Last edited:
Maybe not false but at least dubious. The article from the OP doesn't even say that all these people died waiting for treatment for what killed them. In fact, it says "Some died waiting for procedures that were linked to their deaths, for example, cardiac surgery. Others died waiting for treatments that would have improved their lives, such as a cataract procedure."

It also doesn't say what caused them to wait for their procedure. It only implies that this is due to free healthcare. Anyway, it's not like people in America don't die due to lack of access to healthcare.

All valid points. But it seems some like to use the Canadian system as a defense of free healthcare and how great it is. And that is dubious as well. While you can find people like Jim Carey who praise the Canadian system. You can also find many articles of the Canadian system being garbage.

Like I said, I think it’s a mixture of both. Is Canada’s system just universally bad? Absolutely not. Nor is universally good and superior to the system we have.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I understand the confusion. I'm not on, nor have I ever been on, Medicaid.

The US is divided into ten Medicaid regions. In reach of those regions, the Medicaid office is empowered to decide what is and isn't covered. That coverage decision is pretty unanimously mirrored by the for-profit insurance companies in the region.

CMS Regional Offices | CMS

So even if you're not on Medicaid, their coverage decisions affect you very directly.
You don’t see the issue is the government itself?

All valid points. But it seems some like to use the Canadian system as a defense of free healthcare and how great it is. And that is dubious as well. While you can find people like Jim Carey who praise the Canadian system. You can also find many articles of the Canadian system being garbage.

Like I said, I think it’s a mixture of both. Is Canada’s system just universally bad? Absolutely not. Nor is universally good and superior to the system we have.
Government is best when it plays the role of safety net. It should set the rules for minimum acceptable behavior and make sure everyone plays by the same rules. Whenbit comes to providing the actual services though, it cannot match the efficiency of the free market in the allocation of resources (and I am speaking of a true free market, not the government tainted mess we currently have). This is because as a natural monopoly, government suffers no true consequences for inefficiency. True capitalism makes use of human self interest to drive competition and reward the most efficient providers of goods and services. But this naturally creates envy of the successful leading to the growth of envy which then tries to kill the goose that lays the Golden egg in the name of fairness. And then everyone loses. That is what the left in America is now pushing

Ah excellent response. Seems like you are implying that this article is full of false information. So knowing that, it should be extremely easy to refute all of this with much more respected (in your eyes at least) sources.
I don’t know about refuting, but they conveniently omitted the fact that 26,000 Americans ages 25-64 die every year due to lack of healthcare coverage.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2323087/

I don’t know about refuting, but they conveniently omitted the fact that 26,000 Americans ages 25-64 die every year due to lack of healthcare coverage.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2323087/

If only everyone that isn’t a freeloader could pay 5 times the amount of their premiums to take care of everyone else. That’s roughly what Canadians that contribute pay in additional taxes every year.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
If only everyone that isn’t a freeloader could pay 5 times the amount of their premiums to take care of everyone else. That’s roughly what Canadians that contribute pay in additional taxes every year.
Help me understand your point. Are you implying Canadians pay more for healthcare than Americans?

I take solace in the fact that one day in the future many leftists will suffer and/or expire while waiting for their “free” healthcare treatments.

I know Canadians from metro areas and extremely rural. Much like Americans their opinions are very different based on that alone. I know for people who live in rural areas care is very difficult to get, where it was much easier before socialization of their system.

That's just the feedback I've gotten from friends and family of some riggers I've known since I was a kid. TIFWIW.

Maybe not false but at least dubious. The article from the OP doesn't even say that all these people died waiting for treatment for what killed them. In fact, it says "Some died waiting for procedures that were linked to their deaths, for example, cardiac surgery. Others died waiting for treatments that would have improved their lives, such as a cataract procedure."

It also doesn't say what caused them to wait for their procedure. It only implies that this is due to free healthcare. Anyway, it's not like people in America don't die due to lack of access to healthcare.
It’s Just like the dying from covid vs dying with covid numbers? Is that what you’re saying?

Reactions: Wireless1
Canadians live longer than Americans.

View attachment 377594
Numbers are skewed by ethnic demographics.

Gonna be honest I find it hard to believe in 2021 that a lot of people can't get their minds wrapped around things like this...like when people compare America's education to Finland, or Healthcare to Canada, or urban city crime to Somalia, etc.

VN Store

Back