Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not, though I don't disagree with most of his points.

Invert the statements you thought I was disagreeing with, and you'll better get my point.
I understand what you meant with the 3 statements and I also don't disagree with Dabo's sentiment...however I think if I was in his place and made 10 million a year and had won 2 championships, I simply would not rant at fans like a lunatic on a radio show lol

He let a 20 year old caller on a radio show launch him into that tirade. It sounded unhinged to me.
I get that. Facts delivered unhinged can still be facts. I liked how he just laid it out. He was basically diagnosing one of the main social ills of our world presently: keyboard tough guys.

Reactions: OrangenSC
I understand what you meant with the 3 statements and I also don't disagree with Dabo's sentiment...however I think if I was in his place and made 10 million a year and had won 2 championships, I simply would not rant at fans like a lunatic on a radio show lol
Lowering yourself to them, absolutely wouldnt help your status. He's never done himself any favors, in fact. To me, looking outwardly in, it projects Butch level insecurity. Its apparent to everyone else that his DC's, OC's have carried his water for years. Even how he handles recruits signifies insecurity.

The hockey player should go to prison. He killed that guy by slitting his throat. No way around that. It’s voluntary manslaughter at best, 2nd degree murder at worst.
It was a dirty play and a tragically unfortunate development. Nothing more. Hockey like football is a dangerous sport where the players know serious injury, and yes even possibly death due to freak accidents, can occur. He should get no jail time, that’s ludacris. Would set an awful precedent and no doubt would lead to less interest in hockey from the players and the public. I wouldn’t put it past the family to sue for wrongful death, but don’t think that would hold up in court either unless he chose to settle out of sympathy and guilt.

It was a dirty play and a tragically unfortunate development. Nothing more. Hockey like football is a dangerous sport where the players know serious injury, and yes even possibly death due to freak accidents, can occur. He should get no jail time, that’s ludacris. Would set an awful precedent and no doubt would lead to less interest in hockey from the players and the public. I wouldn’t put it past the family to sue for wrongful death, but don’t think that would hold up in court either unless he chose to settle out of sympathy and guilt.
@Ashevolle

Lowering yourself to them, absolutely wouldnt help your status. He's never done himself any favors, in fact. To me, looking outwardly in, it projects Butch level insecurity. Its apparent to everyone else that his DC's, OC's have carried his water for years. Even how he handles recruits signifies insecurity.
I can't really tell if he's insecure, or just an out and out narcissist.

We need to win and be in position to be a NC contender. If there's one thing man can't resist that's the want of money, become the cash cow and calls will go our way.

Let me say this, my Barnes hate aside, if this TN basketball team is as good as projected I actually think we will get a decent whistle in basketball this year.
I noticed your post the other day about your change of mind about Barnes' portal acquisitions, and I was impressed! I hope you're are right about getting decent whistles in basketball.

As to your main point about being the cash cow, I have always considered that key. But in our particular case, and perhaps ours alone (I have never seen anything in sports like what the SEC is doing to us), the SEC has put us in a kind of vicious circle with respect to success.

The only two losses we have were determined against us decisively by rigged Birmingham officials. Everyone noticed the way the entire second half at FL the officials intervened at every critical moment to undermine our comeback. The spot, kicking the ball to permit defensive substitutions (when even at that point they also could've simply sent FL's subs back off the field on account of the break being a special case of game official action), the no-call defensive holding and PIs on key passes, the horrible call and no overturn on review of Castles' block, the no-call facemask of Milton on the 2 pt conversion that would have made it a one-score game. It went on and on. (I'll not repeat the Bama game rigging as it more recent and even better remembered.)

Without rigging by the Birmingham office, we would be undefeated. (And, in addition, it bears repeating that our QB would appear to everyone in a different light if the officials would stop refusing to call flagrant PIs.)

The dilemma is: If we are a contender, we will get calls; but we can't be a contender because we have SEC game officials determining outcomes against us. A vicious circle.

Finally, I should add, I am not asking to get all manner of unmerited calls and no-calls the way Bama has its games rigged for them. I am simply asking that the rules of the sport be enforced in a neutral way.

In sum, I feel the tug of your observation about winning, but it seems to me that the SEC Office above all wishes to rig outcomes against us such that we cannot win.

Last edited:
Harden’s a productive name at this point imo. Can provide value and a flash of his former star value in stretches…but doesn’t carry his franchise. At least anywhere enough to weather the drama.
Clippers aren't winning anything until Kawhi and Paul George play more than 60 games combined...

That hockey player that kicked the dude that died needs to be banned from professional hockey at least, if not tried for murder. Im sorry, but there is absolutely no way that was not intentional, there’s no way your leg “accidentally” kicks up that far

A boxing match is inherently different. The intent of the contest is to strike and do damage to the other participant.

In a baseball game you can’t hit someone with your bat and claim “consent” to the dangers of the game.
Hockey is closer to boxing than baseball. Hell, fighting is built into the game.

I noticed your post the other day about your change of mind about Barnes' portal acquisitions, and I was impressed! I hope you're are right about getting decent whistles in basketball.

As to your main point about being the cash cow, I have always considered that key. But in our particular case, and perhaps ours alone (I have never seen anything in sports like what the SEC is doing to us), the SEC has put us in a kind of vicious circle with respect to success.

The only two losses we have were determined against us decisively by rigged Birmingham officials. Everyone noticed the way the entire second half at FL the officials intervened at every critical moment to undermine our comeback. The spot, kicking the ball to permit defensive substitutions (when even at that point they also could've simply sent FL's subs back off the field on account of the break being a special case of game official action), the no-call defensive holding and PIs on key passes, the horrible call and no overturn on review of the block, the no-call facemask of Milton on the 2 pt conversion that would have made it a one-score game. It went on and on. (I'll not repeat the Bama game rigging as it more recent and well remembered.)

Without rigging by the Birmingham office, we would be undefeated. And, in addition, it bears repeating that our QB would appear to everyone in a different light if the officials would stop refusing to call flagrant PIs.

My point is: If we are a contender, we will get calls; but we can't be a contender because we have officiating determining outcomes against us. A vicious circle.

Finally, I should add, I am not really interested in getting all the calls and no-calls the way Bama has its games rigged for them. I am simply asking that the rules of the sport be enforced in a neutral way.

I feel the tug of your observation about winning, but it seems to me that the SEC Office above all wishes to rig outcomes against us such that we cannot win.
1. As far as Barnes goes I hope he is able to change my mind about him the way the portal guys did about them. Only way he can do that though is make some March magic. ( I'll leave it there so I don't get in trouble.)
2. Last years team got an OK whistle and they had a legit shot at the playoffs. They were respected in the league. This years team, I can't remember pre season but I think we are 12th is, now we are down to 17. All the talking heads had us at 9-3, our Vegas O/U was 9.5 ( I admittedly thought 10-2 was the floor) Nobody had any respect for this team and the league didn't see us as a contender. To get the respect we want we need to be pre season top 10, we need to be the ones the media writes the narrative on as a contender. I honestly think next year will be another frustrating year, but even if we go 8-4 or 9-3 as long as Nico plays well I think we will get the hype going into year 5( which I believe should be a make or break year for Heup.) It sucks that Heupel won't blast the refs but honesty it won't do him any good and will just make things rough. Right now wether we like it or not we just need to take our medicine and deal with it.

I lived in Houston at that time and was a strong Oilers/Rockets/Astros fan. Bub Adams pushed the City of Houston for renovations to the Astrodome which he got. After a couple other owners held up their cities for new stadiums, Bud went back to the City asking for a new stadium before they had even put a dent into the Astrodome renovations bond repayment. Needless to say the City and the taxpaying Oiler fans told Bud to not let the door hit him on the but on the way out.

The City of Houston, like many big city governments can screw up a lot of things up. That was not one of them. That one was squarely on bumbling Bub Adams.
That is the way I heard it. But I really don't know whether you or @mrMet are correct about what happened there. So I gave him a like also for his counterstory. You account makes more sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrMet
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back