Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assume this one:

I saw it. The only post I've seen in thousands of pages that comes anywhere close to this:

We'll just have to disagree on that.

I don't think he's great.... don't think he's awful. Next year will do a lot to my opinion on how I feel about him. We will find out a lot about how much is scheme and how much is talent, IMO. GBO!
That's a pretty ringing endorsement in my opinion. I guess fabulous is >= to darn good. 😂 Splitting hairs I guess.

You don't have to stop the opponent 100% but you need a very good defense. If his philosophy is bend but don't break that hurts because of 2 things, 1. defense being on the field too long and getting worn out(which is magnified when you have a fast strike offense) and 2, you limit your offensive possessions.
Please list the DB’s you’re putting in man coverage the last 2 years in lieu of the zone umbrella….🤷🏼‍♂️

I think our whole defensive plan from the get go is to have a Defense that bends but doesn't break. The big guys on offense need to rest as well.
It is a sound defense when executed correctly...the problem this year was it broke to often...we gave up a hideous number of Red Zone TDs..and the whole idea of the defense tightening up as the ground having to be defended shrinks, is to force the other team to make a lot of plays and only get FGs out of it.

Tampa Bay was great at that in the late 90s and early aughts.

Question for those of you that are more experienced at seeing the Xs and Os....do we run the Tampa 2? It doesn't look like it to me because I don't remember seeing them back Kelley and Barber up 12 yards off of the line.

Reactions: thistime and KptVFL
I have an idea Barron is going to say to himself eventually, "What eff have I done?"
Probably not this time around. He wants to maximize a one-year payday and he was leaving UT for multiple reasons. I like Baron-- always have-- but there was a lot of baggage there and it just got to be too much.

Assume this one:

I saw it. The only post I've seen in thousands of pages that comes anywhere close to this:

We'll just have to disagree on that.

I don't think he's great.... don't think he's awful. Next year will do a lot to my opinion on how I feel about him. We will find out a lot about how much is scheme and how much is talent, IMO. GBO!
Exactly where I am with it. No more meltdowns and no more excuses. Don't have to be perfect, just don't blow it with coaching decisions/indecision like has happened a game or two each season.

That's a pretty ringing endorsement in my opinion. I guess fabulous is >= to darn good. 😂 Splitting hairs I guess.

You have to admit it was a far cry from saying he was fabulous and hopes he stays here forever.......and that was ONE poster out of thousands of pages.

You don't like him..... I'm still on the fence..... all is good!

What I liked about Banks was that we (most of the time) would bow up like a whole different team in the red zone.

If you wanna get me to vent about our D across multiple coordinators is we neither PI and take away a certain long catch or turn our heads and avoid the penalty. Instead we either give them the catch or the penalty. Grrrr

Reactions: Volnukem
I guess but it seems like he may have overvalued himself.
Yep. They're going full tilt. The move-ups are more reasonable. They value the opportunity. The lateral-movers think they're worth what the best guys are getting. And the best guys think seven figures is the floor. The market will reset and some won't get a soft landing.

I've not once told anyone not to have an opinion. I've discussed why I disagree and why I believe opinions to be wrong.

What you have done is taken someone's explicit post (I think it's too early to judge) and changed it to a strawman as opposed to responding to it.

It's intellectual dishonesty.

So, I'm fine to continue discussing with you. Or not. If you're reduced to that, I'm more fine with not. I'll just ignore you and let you go about your business undisturbed.
I wouldn't ignore InVol...he is a good guy...he just REALLY REALLY REALLY hates Banks defense...to the point he will NEVER acknowledge what is a quantifiable fact...that the defense, while not really-good and certainly not great, has improved since he got here.

You have to admit it was a far cry from saying he was fabulous and hopes he stays here forever.......and that was ONE poster out of thousands of pages.

You don't like him..... I'm still on the fence..... all is good!
Fabulous and darn good is pretty close to fabulous. He didn't say he hopes he stay forever but it was a pretty ringing endorsement.

I don't dislike him but I think for $2 million we can do much better. In this league things never stay the same, you're either improving or your regressing. Our window of opportunity is now. I have zero confidence he can take us trough it.

Going with the phenom QB just to play behind a trash OL. Gonna suck if it plays out like that.
I think the staff is aware. Mincey leaving does ramp up the urgency to get some solid players in the portal. They also might be willing to pay more since the situation is different than it was yesterday.

Yep. They're going full tilt. The move-ups are more reasonable. They value the opportunity. The lateral-movers think they're worth what the best guys are getting. And the best guys think seven figures is the floor. The market will reset and some won't get a soft landing.
I feel like the Covid Seniors have inflated the top performer bucket. There are cusp NFL guys cashing out NFL checks just due to experience not overall athleticism. If that is 5-10% of rosters we will have a lot more youth relatively soon. When 6 year seniors are gone they will pilfer the unheralded guys at the lower ranks even more (Brazzell) and it will ultimately limit scholarships in the P4 and force more guys to work through that lower route. Example 20% turnover from portal at level B-C to Level A means 20% less scholarships for 2-3 stars at level A.

Then like LaVol said guys aren't fighting for 1 mill contract they are fighting for starting power 4 spot.

It is a sound defense when executed correctly...the problem this year was it broke to often...we gave up a hideous number of Red Zone TDs..and the whole idea of the defense tightening up as the ground having to be defended shrinks, is to force the other team to make a lot of plays and only get FGs out of it.

Tampa Bay was great at that in the late 90s and early aughts.

Question for those of you that are more experienced at seeing the Xs and Os....do we run the Tampa 2? It doesn't look like it to me because I don't remember seeing them back Kelley and Barber up 12 yards off of the line.
It broke too often this year because of more opportunities. Drive killing O Line penalties have other teams more possessions and the O wasn’t making teams play from behind. Overall I think the defense was better but the O was way off which made the defense look worse. We need a major speed upgrade at DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back