Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve not seen one person claim he’s a top tier DC. Most, like me, realize we just need ‘good’ to match up with our offense. In fact, our offensive philosophy of never winning time of possession makes the DC job far more difficult.

To me and judging him on a sliding scale, he’s the best DC we’ve had since Wilcox. We’ve had way worse, so I’m content with the job he’s doing.
Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY.gif

Reactions: Glitch
It's not intellectually dishonest. I've watched the games. I asked for those to compare last years teams to this year's. All I get is according to pkyllbtqbbq statistics the vols defense scored a .1652346 in the quandary index,their opponents were ranked 33.676334 on the Ruggles metric. That means the vols defense was better on the plunger factor quota. Get your head out of your collective asses and compare our schedule to last year's. The only team that was probably better was Mizzou who skull dragged the team in embarrassing fashion.
Not fair. I posted just the simple yoy point totals and that simple detail was hopped over like a turnstile in the subway.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
No idea but IF Banks were to leave/be replaced.... with CJH's propensity to promote from within I could see it happening as easily as I could see him going after a big name... maybe more so.
I get the impression that Heupel doesn't care so much about the defense. His attitude is he'll just outscore errbody. 😂

Yeah sometimes his play calls are questionable, but is he bad enough that you need to rant about how bad he is on the daily?

TN in 2021 ranked 90th in the country in total defense.

32nd two years later after getting better players. The defense played as well as it did without the complementary football it normally receives from the offense.

The trend is improvement. Probably gonna have a top 25 defense next year.
All I've done is respond. Take it up with the other morans. Don't want ish, don't start ish.

WTH does that have to do with the fact that I posted that I saw player failures and consider that the staff has not had the tools they needed, so *I reserve judgment on the staff* and yet you built a strawman that I was arguing that the staff is good?

That is intellectually dishonest, or stupidity. (And you're not dumb, hombre.)
You like to frame your arguments to fit your narrative. All I've said is he's not a DC that will get us a championship. I've pointed out why. I even said he was the best we could get at the time and I applaud him for taking on the challenge, when he was hired. I've asked you repeatedly, "How many years does he need?" You've never answered that question, only that he needs better players (again blaming the players). I'll ask you again, how many years does he need? Should we see better next year? The following year?

Obviously you feel the jury is still out. I think 3 years is enough to form an opinion. He's never going to field a defense that will win us a championship. We've got two more years of Nico and it's going to be wasted.

Reactions: VolNash17
You like to frame your arguments to fit your narrative. All I've said is he's not a DC that will get us a championship. I've pointed out why. I even said he was the best we could get at the time and I applaud him for taking on the challenge, when he was hired. I've asked you repeatedly, "How many years does he need?" You've never answered that question, only that he needs better players (again blaming the players). I'll ask you again, how many years does he need? Should we see better next year? The following year?

Obviously you feel the jury is still out. I think 3 years is enough to form an opinion. He's never going to field a defense that will win us a championship. We've got two more years of Nico and it's going to be wasted.
I'd say this year or next, we begin making some judgments.

Now, of course I frame my argument to fit my VIEW. (Again, why did you misrepresent it?) Everything doesn't have to be agenda and narrative. Is it for you? Is it just "narrative" or are we just legitimately discussing things as we see them?

And you've said more than you seem to want to admit. You've also said that you'll be calling for his job all season again, and keeping receipts for those who disagreed. "All you've said..."? You misrepresent everyone's arguments, even yours?

And again, if you understood my argument, why did you misrepresent it? Was it ignorance or dishonest?

compare what he has done to the rest of the nation…. He compares pretty favorably, imo.
That makes zero difference to me. I care what he does compared to teams that are in the way of the Vols winning a championship. We had a great year in 2022. We had a great year because of the offense. We can't count on outscoring everyone to win a championship.

Reactions: VolNash17
1.Webb
2.Lewis
3.Henry
4.Cobb
5.Garner
These are my top 5 in terms of talent and just being able to dominate there opponents. Lewis has better numbers than Webb, but for the short 1 year and 1 game Webb was dominant. He could beat you to the edge or run between the tackles and then simply out run you.
My other 5 top backs that were fun to watch and impacted games greatly.
1. James Little Man Stewart
2.Travis Stephens
3.John Kelly
4.Gerald Riggs
5. Tony Thompson
Every team needs a little man Stewart. Near the goal line he was lethal. GBO

I don't know that anyone can really do that these days with the evolution of offenses.

I only hope he fields a defense that doesn't lose us one. ;)

Interesting updates from AP: Baron is visiting another school (not UK), hopefully he drives Ole Miss crazy and/or gets them to pay more. Also, Bama was his original landing spot but he upped his number after he got in the portal and they turned him away.
I had heard early on that Texas was were he is going. This is interesting

Reactions: knoxvol52
Big game tomorrow for BB Vols. Need to play well to start SEC play. Hopefully Jonas Aidoo is back healthy and on his game. Beard is a good coach and Ole Miss will be scrappy.
Go Vols!!!

I’m extremely impressed with the job Beard has done in his first year. Granted, the schedule is fairly weak, but it’s still an undefeated team and they are situated nicely that if they finish above .500 in SEC play, they’ll be in the NCAAT. He didn’t inherit the greatest roster situation.

It’ll be Ole Miss’ biggest test so far. Good thing for the Vols is we are more than battle tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back