Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst case scenario for us at Bama. Really great coach. Just have to hope that following Saban is too tough for anyone, even a great coach.
I'm not worried.

No one - not even Nick Saban himself - can repeat what Saban did the past 17 years

The entire football landscape has changed with NIL and the transfer portal

Roughly ~20 or so teams are now on closer to equal footing, making it much harder to control the top, in my view

Bama in and of itself isn't that great of a job. They have money, but no more than other power schools in the conference. They now have a brand name, that helps.

But the SEC hitched their wagon (successfully) to Saban, and I doubt they'll show as much favoritism to Bama now that he's gone. Kirby will get whatever he wants, but probably not Bama unless they can prove they're worth the backing of the conference.

Texas and UGA will be getting all the calls going forward I would think, not Bama.
As long as the SEC Headquarters is in Birmingham, alabama will be the league favorite.

I don't think they'll hurt for talent, their boosters have plenty of money. Anyone but a playoff coach would have been disappointing for their fans and boosters, and this guy is way better than Dabo, Kelly, most other playoff coaches.

Still, following Saban is probably too much for anyone.
Somebody put the Billy Madison meme here where the guy is like “At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were…” 😂😂

Bama in and of itself isn't that great of a job. They have money, but no more than other power schools in the conference. They now have a brand name, that helps.

But the SEC hitched their wagon (successfully) to Saban, and I doubt they'll show as much favoritism to Bama now that he's gone. Kirby will get whatever he wants, but probably not Bama unless they can prove they're worth the backing of the conference.

Texas and UGA will be getting all the calls going forward I would think, not Bama.
Tennessee and Heupel need to start cranking out stud QBs who win a Heisman or two. We've got to elevate our national profile to become a conference darling to have a chance at being elite year in and year out.

Tennessee and Heupel need to start cranking out stud QBs who win a Heisman or two. We've got to elevate our national profile to become a conference darling to have a chance at being elite year in and year out.

I don't expect Tennessee to ever be elite year-in and year-out, unless Nashville grows into a ~20 million person super city with talent spilling out of the suburbs

I think Tennessee on stable footing will look closer to LSU - pretty good most years, with greatness every 5 or 6 years.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I don't think they'll hurt for talent, their boosters have plenty of money. Anyone but a playoff coach would have been disappointing for their fans and boosters, and this guy is way better than Dabo, Kelly, most other playoff coaches.

Still, following Saban is probably too much for anyone.
Yeah you're probably right. I cant help but wonder how the pressure cooker of that town and just living in the south day to day treats someons who has been in the northwest his whole life. Is he prepared for the amount of unwarranted scrutiny he will receive from every direction every single day? Does he realize how closely they will follow his every move? Lol. I guarantee that job in Seattle did not prepare him for Tuscaloosa.

Saban rose above all that and became bigger than any scrutiny could reach. But thats not an easy place to get to. He'll have to win their respect on the field. And won't get a lot of time to earn it.

I don't expect Tennessee to ever be elite year-in and year-out, unless Nashville grows into a ~20 million person super city with talent spilling out of the suburbs

I think Tennessee on stable footing will look closer to LSU - pretty good most years, with greatness every 5 or 6 years.
It's a big leap but it's doable. It will require Heupel to keep us no lower than around 10th-12th in total talent, for his offensive acumen to remain an advantage, and for him to continue landing and developing elite QBs.

Basically, we need to be Oklahoma but better. Or 90s Florida under Spurrier (although they were also loaded with talent, but not to the degree they were under Meyer).

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back