Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a big identity shift for Bama on offense at least. I did not expect that. I really thought they would pursue a known recruiter and defense first kinda coach and keep trying to out talent folks.

But maybe this is a wise path forward for them in the NIL era. Who knows.

I like his chances to underwhelm early.

Agreed .

Tennessee's fan base are by no means perfect angels, though compared to Alabama's this one is a Pizza Party..

They would eat DeBoer or anyone else alive..
Fans ALWAYS think they know best who to hire. And yet fans also disagree on who to hire. So whoever it is they will eat him alive, unless it's someone like Kirby.

It's actually surprising that DeBoer didn't get a look as a D1 HC until 11 years after leaving Sioux Falls. Dude straight-up dominated the NAIA level. Went 56-1 over a 4-year stretch and won 3 championships.

I know it's NAIA but no one has dominated at that level like him in a long time.
That’s actually not true Steve Ryan went 53-1 in a 4 year stretch with 3 NAIA titles from 2018-2021. That’s essentially the same dominance in the same time frame…

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Sounds like a big identity shift for Bama on offense at least. I did not expect that. I really thought they would pursue a known recruiter and defense first kinda coach and keep trying to out talent folks.

But maybe this is a wise path forward for them in the NIL era. Who knows.

I like his chances to underwhelm early.
Their offense was due to MP and the two receivers they had. Prior to them they were pedestrian

I thought it was DeBord (our old OC) at IU since he was a Butch/DeBord recruit?
DeBoer was the OC there the year Penix won the starting job (2019). Same year we beat them in the bowl game. Penix got hurt and the other guy (Ramsey I think?) went on to play really well. Indiana fans loved him as OC.

That’s actually not true Steve Ryan went 53-1 in a 4 year stretch with 3 NAIA titles from 2018-2021. That’s essentially the same dominance in the same time frame…
That's true, but it also took him 15 years to get there. I'd say he'd be a good hire as well at the D1 level, but DeBoer dominated in year 2.

I think if you're an AD taking a chance on an NAIA guy, he's got to be one who dominated thoroughly and immediately. Same with hiring FCS guys and really even G5 guys. You don't want ones who took a long time to build up. Those guys are risky already. You want ones who proved instantly that they were ready for the next level.

It says a lot that with all these big job openings, Heupel's name doesn't seem to come up. Perhaps its clear he's not going anywhere?
I heard an ESPN analyst discuss Heupel as a potential candidate for the Bama job on ESPN radio yesterday afternoon. It had no chance of happening, so I ignored it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back