Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna be a tough first season for the new coach. They play Georgia week 4 and have to play at Neyland, Death Valley and Norman. Also have a tricky Missouri team that should be better than this years. Even going to Wisconsin could be an L that early. What if the tide loses 4+ next year?
View attachment 609631
Certainly possible. Especially if he can’t keep the current roster intact.

Sounds like a big identity shift for Bama on offense at least. I did not expect that. I really thought they would pursue a known recruiter and defense first kinda coach and keep trying to out talent folks.

But maybe this is a wise path forward for them in the NIL era. Who knows.

I like his chances to underwhelm early.
I don't think they'll hurt for talent, their boosters have plenty of money. Anyone but a playoff coach would have been disappointing for their fans and boosters, and this guy is way better than Dabo, Kelly, most other playoff coaches.

Still, following Saban is probably too much for anyone.

Michigan isn’t a top level SEC defense
Yeah it was. I'd say it was on par of a UGA/Bama level defense this year. I think UGA would've beaten Michigan had they not slipped up against Bama. Also, Bama handed Michigan the game at the end with poor offensive playcalling; otheriwse, they woud have been in the championship game.

Reactions: Vols410 and Vols4us
Paul said he thought Nick was talking about retirement as early as 2 weeks ago with the university.

"Worn out and frustrated" said an assistant coach, describing Saban. (GO VOLS)

**Howard from Alabama is flabbergasted. He thought Saban should have informed UA 6 months ago.

***DeBoer is jumping in the frying pan
Steele and the timeline line up..

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
That's true, but it also took him 15 years to get there. I'd say he'd be a good hire as well at the D1 level, but DeBoer dominated in year 2.

I think if you're an AD taking a chance on an NAIA guy, he's got to be one who dominated thoroughly and immediately. Same with hiring FCS guys and really even G5 guys. You don't want ones who took a long time to build up. Those guys are risky already. You want ones who proved instantly that they were ready for the next level.
I don’t think he is “proven” regardless he might be a good coach, but I’ve seen plenty of good coaches not succeed in the SEC over the years.

When Saban was hired at bama he was already proven in the SEC…that to me is an example of a proven coach, but obviously that’s hard to come by

Reactions: JacketVol
Yeah it was. I'd say it was on par of a UGA/Bama level defense this year. I think UGA would've beaten Michigan had they not slipped up against Bama. Also, Bama handed Michigan the game at the end with poor offensive playcalling; otheriwse, they woud have been in the championship game.
You can think that if you want but I disagree. They knew most of the teams plays. They cheated BIG time.

Is the Bama job - without Saban in the seat - really all that much better than anyone else's job?

You have to think about Auburn instate. You've got the immense weight of historic expectations.

On paper, I'd take Texas, Texas A&M and Georgia over it - if all were empty at once. Texas has great football talent and both Texas schools appear to have limitless resources that should help them dominate in the NIL era. Georgia is at worst the equal of Alabama - and at best, much better since their state has more talent and they are essentially the only show in town with Georgia Tech unable to get out of its own way.

And I'm partial to the Tennessee job... a rabid fanbase, Vandy as its permanent SEC rival, and Nashville continuing to boom as a talent hotspot. I like it's upside. There's a chance it's viewed as an equal or better job than Bama sometime in the next 10-15 years...

Worst case scenario for us at Bama. Really great coach. Just have to hope that following Saban is too tough for anyone, even a great coach.
You knew Bama was going to hire someone pretty good. It's a chance to walk into a national championship ala Larry Coker, even if you suck and can't handle the job.

The good news for us is that DeBoer is no Nick Saban. It's virtually impossible for him or anyone else to be for a very long time. So every Bama game moving forward just got a little (or a lot) easier.

Psshhh, but could they offer rigged officiating and conference preferential treatment?
I don't think it's a guarantee Bama will continue to get preferential treatment. The conference backed Saban, not Bama.

And the conference will be a LOT tougher than anyone the pac 12 could offer.

We've been on to this for a couple of years. Welcome to the party, Reggie!

I saw a tweet yesterday that said something to the effect that "Bama sources tell Emmy-winning ESPN that iT's nOt tRuE that NIL leveling the playing field was a reason Saban retired."

That was such a weird, completely out of context denial (for none of the networks have ever dared utter such a truth) that it amounts to an open admission. 😂

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Yup. As soon as college football gained back some parity and started to mirror the nfl (where saban fell flat on his face), he retires. Picked up his ball and went home.

Their DB coach is better than ours
Their DB coach was Saban let’s be real here, just like it is at Georgia (Kirby) if you have any knowledge of football you would understand those two were the best secondary coaches/DC’s in the nation….just like how Heupel is essentially our OC/QB coach

I don't think they'll hurt for talent, their boosters have plenty of money. Anyone but a playoff coach would have been disappointing for their fans and boosters, and this guy is way better than Dabo, Kelly, most other playoff coaches.

Still, following Saban is probably too much for anyone.
Not sure I'd say he's 'way better' than Jim Kelly or Sark out of Texas.

Is the Bama job - without Saban in the seat - really all that much better than anyone else's job?

You have to think about Auburn instate. You've got the immense weight of historic expectations.

On paper, I'd take Texas, Texas A&M and Georgia over it - if all were empty at once. Texas has great football talent and both Texas schools appear to have limitless resources that should help them dominate in the NIL era. Georgia is at worst the equal of Alabama - and at best, much better since their state has more talent and they are essentially the only show in town with Georgia Tech unable to get out of its own way.

And I'm partial to the Tennessee job... a rabid fanbase, Vandy as its permanent SEC rival, and Nashville continuing to boom as a talent hotspot. I like it's upside. There's a chance it's viewed as an equal or better job than Bama sometime in the next 10-15 years...
Bama in and of itself isn't that great of a job. They have money, but no more than other power schools in the conference. They now have a brand name, that helps.

But the SEC hitched their wagon (successfully) to Saban, and I doubt they'll show as much favoritism to Bama now that he's gone. Kirby will get whatever he wants, but probably not Bama unless they can prove they're worth the backing of the conference.

Texas and UGA will be getting all the calls going forward I would think, not Bama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back