Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don’t know about that…. last we were 4th/5th in the sec in ppg allowed while facing the most possessions in the SEC. I agree that we need to be better though.
He’s good at bend don’t break… the problem is when it breaks it breaks hard. He’s strictly a soft zone coverage guy, he doesn’t care about giving up short plays inbetween the 20’s and tried to limit long plays. When teams get in the redzone it’s a lot harder to pass into 10 yard windows when there’s 7 guys in zone. A good QB/Play calling eats it alive

I'm not sure what point you are making. By the time we have Georgia's level of talent on defense we can be statistically average?

After a point with the same defensive staff, it really doesn't make any difference if it's a talent deficiency or a coaching deficiency. 26 1st half points to an offense that I'm quite certain will be in the bottom half of the SEC at the end of the year... It ain't great.

I feel like Tim Banks, for some bizzare reason, is still being graded on the 2021 curve. It made sense then. I'm not sure why we are still using it. The only group that hasn't routinely looked lossed in the sauce since this staff has been here is the DL.

The point I’m making is that Tim Banks has a very successful track record coaching LB’s, DB’s and being a DC. Some of the top defensive coaches hired him in top positions. Franklin calls him one of the most versatile defensive coaches in the game. When he came here our DB and LB room was a train wreck. He’s recruiting well and his on field stats are better every year. Martinez coaches corners. 9 out of 10 of our “DB” problems are corners. Banks wanted to find a new DB coach last season. Heupel does not like instability and change. They gave Martinez another year. With Pilli in, this is a decent defense. With him gone, our LB core is young. They’d like to play someone faster than McCullough at safety, but can’t until LB grows up. You fight with the army you have. Our army still has holes. I’m all for an intelligent debate about play calls and talent development, but our whino herd wants to fire half the staff every time things don’t go our way. He’s a good coach. As our depth and talent grow, it’ll show more and more.

Florida didnt really try to score in the second half. Napier used the new clock rules to end the game. Im not sure we did much of anything
You think Napier’s goal out of halftime was to have two straight 3 and outs totaling 3 minutes off the clock? That alone would have been enough to minimum tie the game if we coulda capitalized

If this happens at bama or Georgia we never hear about it and Mincey plays. Not saying it’s right or wrong but they protect their players.

Was it marijuana? Even so, I’m surprised he was suspended unless it’s a school policy. But then again, 30% of the student body would be suspended 😝.

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
Every off season. Look at FSU. Huepel too cocky for his own good at times.
I guess I don’t get this. We took 2 OL, which solidified the tackle position with Mincey, Mayes, and Spraggins. We took Thornton, which made the WR room dynamic. He brought in a TE. We didn’t need a RB. In fact, we had to satisfy Wright. We took Norman-Lott, which has been a great pickup so far. We took Pili to bring in a veteran at LB, and he’s hurt. Beasley is great, and we have young talent. We brought in Jeudy-Lally, but we recruited a bunch of young talent at DB that they want to develop. A bunch of guys who weren’t producing left the program. Why would Heupel be cocky? He brought in a transfer at almost every position to solidify depth and bringing in veterans. The transfer portal is not going to be used to create a roster despite what Deon did. It’s used to fill holes.

The point I’m making is that Tim Banks has a very successful track record coaching LB’s, DB’s and being a DC. Some of the top defensive coaches hired him in top positions. Franklin calls him one of the most versatile defensive coaches in the game. When he came here our DB and LB room was a train wreck. He’s recruiting well and his on field stats are better every year. Martinez coaches corners. 9 out of 10 of our “DB” problems are corners. Banks wanted to find a new DB coach last season. Heupel does not like instability and change. They gave Martinez another year. With Pilli in, this is a decent defense. With him gone, our LB core is young. They’d like to play someone faster than McCullough at safety, but can’t until LB grows up. You fight with the army you have. Our army still has holes. I’m all for an intelligent debate about play calls and talent development, but our whino herd wants to fire half the staff every time things don’t go our way. He’s a good coach. As our depth and talent grow, it’ll show more and more.
I would agree with you if we weren't rushing 3 or 4 on 3rd and medium-long and calling zone. We are better with aggressiveness. The defense gave up 4 straight TD and nearly 5 straight scoring drives to a Florida offense that wasn't great. Hard to reconcile "best defensive mind" type comments with that being an ongoing issue. Not a one game issue. Ongoing.

At the end of the day, defense didn't show up. Tim Banks is in charge of it. He gets the smoke.

I think his goal was to take the air out of the ball and keep it on the ground.
Which backfired tremendously as we shut them down. They took up waaaay more clock in the first half by throwing and converting.

The only thing keeping us from the comeback were penalties and our own mistakes. We had more than enough time to win by 7+ had we just converted deep.

He’s good at bend don’t break… the problem is when it breaks it breaks hard. He’s strictly a soft zone coverage guy, he doesn’t care about giving up short plays inbetween the 20’s and tried to limit long plays. When teams get in the redzone it’s a lot harder to pass into 10 yard windows when there’s 7 guys in zone. A good QB/Play calling eats it alive
we weren’t bend but don’t break against pittsburgh…. it’s also not the type of defense Heup described wanting when he became coach…. i assume that they feel that is the best approach currently…. i don’t agree…. wish we were getting after it but i also don’t get to see our practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back