Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get it. To each their own. I know at the end of the day we both want to win.
I am disappointed but still think we can be a good team. Loses used to bother me all week, not anymore. This game is fickle. Look at SC last year.

Winning on the road in SEC in big games is tough. Everything imaginable went against us and we still had a shot.

Rocky Top Insider
@rockytopinsider
·
2h

BREAKING: Tennessee offensive tackle Gerald Mincey was cited for simple possession by UTPD last Thursday, its 60-day crime log shows.Mincey didn’t play on offense while making the trip to Florida in the Vols’ SEC opener.
If this happens at bama or Georgia we never hear about it and Mincey plays. Not saying it’s right or wrong but they protect their players.

Luckily you aren’t allowed to call anything beyond Domino’s. Anyone who uses the term “calling defenses” probably isn’t equipped to have an opinion on the matter. Banks’ “calls” last night were fine. Our DBs gave up two huge plays by not tackling, and McCullough got burned by speed (again). Our LB’s are inexperienced and were caught out of position by the motion. They’re going to be great as they grow. Right now they’re young. They bit on misdirection. The DL played pretty well, and got better throughout the night. None of our problems have anything to do with “calls”. The third and long conversions were a combination of perfect throws and catches, and Mertz breaking pressure. Banks is perceived as one of the best defensive coaches by other defensive coaches. We’re a very different team with Pilli, but we have to grow up fast and get our LBs to play with discipline and get our DBs to tackle in space. That’s not something a call can fix.

Serious question: why does McCullough continue to start??

We’re a better team with Mays. That won’t make us a great team. We’re heavy dogs for Georgia and Bama. A&M and KY have the players to exploit us. I’d call those two 50/50. Missouri is playing above their talent and will be a struggle. If we have a letdown next weekend, UTSA can give us trouble. SC is terrible, but Beamer outcoached Heupel last year, and they probably smell blood. We should kill them, but who knows. This team still has a ceiling that is probably three losses, but it’ll be unlikely that we get there. The team hasn’t given up or turned on the coaches, but some of our least prepared players are the biggest mouths in the locker room. I think it’s a great time for some younger players to step up. If we don’t succeed in the portal this year and get three real offensive linemen, we’ll struggle for a long time. I think Martinez spent his last tokens last night. He’ll probably be let go. People attacking Banks are misguided. He’s not the problem. Pilli being injured is a big loss. We’ve been hiding weaknesses since he went down. Banks is a good coach.
Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but appreciate your perspective.

Luckily you aren’t allowed to call anything beyond Domino’s. Anyone who uses the term “calling defenses” probably isn’t equipped to have an opinion on the matter. Banks’ “calls” last night were fine. Our DBs gave up two huge plays by not tackling, and McCullough got burned by speed (again). Our LB’s are inexperienced and were caught out of position by the motion. They’re going to be great as they grow. Right now they’re young. They bit on misdirection. The DL played pretty well, and got better throughout the night. None of our problems have anything to do with “calls”. The third and long conversions were a combination of perfect throws and catches, and Mertz breaking pressure. Banks is perceived as one of the best defensive coaches by other defensive coaches. We’re a very different team with Pilli, but we have to grow up fast and get our LBs to play with discipline and get our DBs to tackle in space. That’s not something a call can fix.
I think sitting in a soft zone with inexperienced linebackers who get lost easily is not the best option. Playing man and making it easy on them would be better. Just my opinion.

I knew I should have skipped about 20 pages today. Reading some of these posts is worse than watching the game last night. The season isn't over. The sky isn't falling. Milton did not kick your puppy (although Hadden might have).

Our coaching staff has proven they can make adjustments. I trust in them to continue doing so and seeing improvement throughout the season. Last night felt a lot like the SC game last year. People who broke team rules out, were needed, and a poorly played game as a result. Throw in some inexplicable ref calls and no calls, and you get what you get.

Go Vols!

How many years do we get to ise the poor talent excuse? 10-15? He's pathetic. The reason we were successful last year is because we could outscore people. The offense is about 1/3 of what it was last year and the defense can't be relied upon. He's the worst defensive coordinator since Sal sunseri. 8-9 on 3rd downs. Many of those were long. He's pathetic. Quit blaming the players.
Isn’t this the guy saying we were getting Gruden for a while?

How many years do we get to ise the poor talent excuse? 10-15? He's pathetic. The reason we were successful last year is because we could outscore people. The offense is about 1/3 of what it was last year and the defense can't be relied upon. He's the worst defensive coordinator since Sal sunseri. 8-9 on 3rd downs. Many of those were long. He's pathetic. Quit blaming the players.
Tim banks belongs in the MAC. His apologists will get hyped after UT shuts down Vanderbilt and UTSA yet lets up 30+ PPG against SEC comp per usual. He’s a discount layaway coach and it’ll keep showing.

He’s had two recruiting classes with no misses. This year’s defense is better than last year, and our upcoming recruiting class is the best yet. If you look at our DL, Herring, Carter, Gibson etc and think he’s doing a bad job, you don’t understand football.
I would give more credit to one of the best DL coaches in the game. Banks is a DB coach like Martinez. And that’s our worst unit. I’m more out on Martinez and have been mad since he was hired.

He’s had two recruiting classes with no misses. This year’s defense is better than last year, and our upcoming recruiting class is the best yet. If you look at our DL, Herring, Carter, Gibson etc and think he’s doing a bad job, you don’t understand football.
I'm not sure what point you are making. By the time we have Georgia's level of talent on defense we can be statistically average?

After a point with the same defensive staff, it really doesn't make any difference if it's a talent deficiency or a coaching deficiency. 26 1st half points to an offense that I'm quite certain will be in the bottom half of the SEC at the end of the year... It ain't great.

I feel like Tim Banks, for some bizzare reason, is still being graded on the 2021 curve. It made sense then. I'm not sure why we are still using it. The only group that hasn't routinely looked lossed in the sauce since this staff has been here is the DL.

i don’t know about that…. last we were 4th/5th in the sec in ppg allowed while facing the most possessions in the SEC. I agree that we need to be better though.

I think shoop was just as bad if not worse…. Which is weird, I really thought he was gonna be good

I’ll say banks is pretty good (most of the time) at adjusting at halftime

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back