Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree with you if we weren't rushing 3 or 4 on 3rd and medium-long and calling zone. We are better with aggressiveness. The defense gave up 4 straight TD and nearly 5 straight scoring drives to a Florida offense that wasn't great. Hard to reconcile "best defensive mind" type comments with that being an ongoing issue. Not a one game issue. Ongoing.

At the end of the day, defense didn't show up. Tim Banks is in charge of it. He gets the smoke.

The ultimate backyard expert calls a blitz every third and long. Actual coaches play situational football based on personnel, opponents and matchups. A blitz isn’t kryptonite to an offense. With their motion and short drop, our blitzes didn’t get to the qb. When they switched to a deep pocket, we blitzed, and sacked him more than once. We also ran gap blitzes, run blitzes and stunted to try to get penetration. We had 17 DB tackles. That’s a terrible stat. It means no matter what we called, they were two layers deep into our D. Herring is learning. He got caught out of position a few times, and didn’t assign anyone to the motion player. Those are big mistakes, but they’re youth. Lack of blitzes is a big nothing. You don’t blitz a two step drop out of play action. That’s why we dropped coverage. Our problems were bad tackling by DBs, bad LB calls on motion, and bad gap fits in the run. Lack of blitzes isn’t our problem.

I think his goal was to take the air out of the ball and keep it on the ground.
I don’t think that happened till after Mertz got hurt. They threw it 2 times on their first drive out of half. Threw it on the 2nd drive which is the play he got hurt. The 3rd drive is when Herring got the roughing the passer call which hurt a lot and they were able to run

we weren’t bend but don’t break against pittsburgh…. it’s also not the type of defense Heup described wanting when he became coach…. i assume that they feel that is the best approach currently…. i don’t agree…. wish we were getting after it but i also don’t get to see our practices.
Yea it’s odd… tired of seeing a soft defense. That’s the first thing Mullen said at half too. It also only hurts us because of the new clock rule. Florida’s first drive they wasted almost 8 minutes and had less than 50 yards. Gotta be able to get off the field especially if we aren’t gonna be scoring 9 outta 10 drives like last season

Yea it’s odd… tired of seeing a soft defense. That’s the first thing Mullen said at half too. It also only hurts us because of the new clock rule. Florida’s first drive they wasted almost 8 minutes and had less than 50 yards. Gotta be able to get off the field especially if we aren’t gonna be scoring 9 outta 10 drives like last season
if we are going to play extremely fast…. we are going to have to score a high % of tds…. that’s the only way this system works.

havent we gotten a transfer db from osu? hasnt seen the field
It’s cause this staff is too loyal to tank even though he’s clearly a liability. Turrentine is the guy that came from OSU and he played a lot in the first couple games and looked much quicker than tank. Also Christian Charles is better than tank too.

It’s cause this staff is too loyal to tank even though he’s clearly a liability. Turrentine is the guy that came from OSU and he played a lot in the first couple games and looked much quicker than tank. Also Christian Charles is better than tank too.
isnt Charles done for the year?

The point I’m making is that Tim Banks has a very successful track record coaching LB’s, DB’s and being a DC. Some of the top defensive coaches hired him in top positions. Franklin calls him one of the most versatile defensive coaches in the game. When he came here our DB and LB room was a train wreck. He’s recruiting well and his on field stats are better every year. Martinez coaches corners. 9 out of 10 of our “DB” problems are corners. Banks wanted to find a new DB coach last season. Heupel does not like instability and change. They gave Martinez another year. With Pilli in, this is a decent defense. With him gone, our LB core is young. They’d like to play someone faster than McCullough at safety, but can’t until LB grows up. You fight with the army you have. Our army still has holes. I’m all for an intelligent debate about play calls and talent development, but our whino herd wants to fire half the staff every time things don’t go our way. He’s a good coach. As our depth and talent grow, it’ll show more and more.
Mccollough doesn’t even tackle well and doesn’t get downhill quick enough to effect the run most of the time. Dude really should not be starting anymore. So might as well play someone else.

giphy.gif

Mccollough doesn’t even tackle well and doesn’t get downhill quick enough to effect the run most of the time. Dude really should not be starting anymore. So might as well play someone else.
Honestly think Walker needs to be the SS even though both safeties seem to play similar roles and go back and forth between playing deep or in the box. I just think he’s better than tank at that role and either Turrentine or Charles should be good enough at FS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back