Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do question if DW will be able to pull off a big time hire for the Lady Vols. What kind of budget is he working with? Does he have approval to open up the checkbook? There are a lot of things that could affect his candidacy pool that might not be in his control. Hopefully we don't end up taking a step back.
It’s not the football program after a massive scandal. Have faith. DW knows what he’s doing.

I love the MLB that has the strikezone box. It lets you see how effective the umpires call the pitches.

Last night was watching the Dodgers vs Giants. Logan Webb threw a back door breaking ball that missed the plate by 4 inches and Muncey was rung up.lol
The home plate umps in baseball are the Pat Adams of the sport. Inconsistent calls with them being consistently wrong. They control who wins and who loses in the tighter games.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Imagine a “Blindside “ block.
It’s a very long way down from the deck of an aircraft carrier.

Surely they will have strong nets to catch anyone…that would be an awful look for Navy. Game was going well until the broadside swell and the one team fell off. 😳
“Run, Forest run….no wait, Forest, stop, stop….Oh My God”.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
four final fours 09’ 13’ 18’ 22’ but point taken indeed. He lives a bit too much in the portal imo
It's Louisville, he has to. How well has the men's team been doing lately? Better job in Knoxville with what we have.

I am not saying go get him, he may be on the career backside now. Had they pulled the plug on Holly earlier - yup. But the LV donor base was still needed back then and they wanted what they wanted.

I wouldn't hate the hire as the guy can coach. But there may be a Heup, Voltello type out there that would be better.

Walz was the hottest young coach in the country when we almost hired him last time. Feels like his commitment to Louisville was questioned and used against him in recruiting. Regardless his coaching resume is impressive:
2x NCAA Runner-Up
4x Final Four appearances
8x Elite Eight appearances
12x Sweet 16 appearances
15x NCAA appearances in 16 seasons (Covid not included)
464-135 (.775) record.
He's had 2 seasons ending with 10 or more losses in the last dozen years and made the Final Four 2 years ago.

Has 3 of the Top 100 in this year's class and a name like his could lock down the uncommitted 5-star at Clarksville. Important to remember that LSU stole his best player last offseasons because of NIL. That probably wouldn't be a problem for him in Knoxville.

We could do a heck of a lot worse.
I would take him if we get further down our list….I just feel there are better options… The top 100 players in girls basketball is not the same as men’s basketball..

Reactions: Vols4us
I would take him if we get further down our list….I just feel there are better options… The top 100 players in girls basketball is not the same as men’s basketball..
Just a couple things:
1. You purposefully skewed the perspective of his career. You said he's only made 2 Final Fours in 16 years. He's made 4, and you conveniently left out two title appearances and the fact that he made a Final Four just 2 years ago.
2. You said he's "trending down with a couple 10 loss seasons" (para) he's had 2 in the last 12 years and this year he had to replace the vast majority of his production.
3. "The Top 100 players in girls is not the same as men's" what kind of comment is that?? They're still the best 100 players lmao.
4. You've misrepresented his recruiting. He has TWO 5-stars committed and a high 4 star. Not to mention he pulled Van Lith out of high school who was #7, First Team High School All-American and on the U-19 National Team a few years ago with Paige Beuckers and Caitlyn Clark. His recruiting is fine. They didn't recruit a single high school player last year and signed 6 transfers. They had the #5 transfer class according to one writer with 2 top-15 transfers. You failed to mention that and tried to make it look like they signed a bad class. He would/will probably back-fill this offseason with more portal players if he has extra scholarships, and he will probably be competitive with top transfers.
5. You're okay with him if we get further down our list. Who is above him on our list? We don't know what Danny White has but I don't think you could name a coach that mighy actually come with a better resume.

I don't care if it's Walz or not but make no mistake, hiring Walz would be a homerun. Don't paint it like it isn't, skew facts, and/or straight up lie about his resume just because you don't like him for some reason.

April 3, 1973
The first cell phone call was made on April 3, 1973, by Motorola engineer Martin Cooper from Sixth Avenue in New York while walking between 53rd and 54th streets.

Cooper hoisted the 2 1/2-pound prototype to his ear and called a rival, Joel Engel of Bell Laboratories at AT&T, to declare that his Motorola team had devised a functional portable phone. “There was silence at the other end of the line,” Cooper recalled to Bloomberg in 2015. “To this day, Joel doesn’t remember that call, and I’m not sure I blame him.”

The clunky “shoe” phone, almost as big as a shoebox, allowed a user to talk for 35 minutes and required 10 hours to recharge, according to Wired magazine.

View attachment 631661
I remember having one of those bricks in the car. Who could have imagined what we see today. And in the background, something rarely seen today!

Last edited:
isn't it weird and creepy when a man is coaching a women's sport?
No, it isn't. Coming from someone whose dad and uncle both do or have coached women's sports at a high level. It's coaching. If it makes you uncomfortable, feel creepy, etc to think if YOU were the coach of a woman's team then maybe that's indicative of something else...

Not sure why you're even commenting considering how much you vocalize your lack of care for women's sports and the Lady Vols. Back on ignore I guess.

Same here. Have not been back there since back in Holly's days when I was properly chastised for saying the obvious. 😂

I decided I was too uncouth, lacked culture and was simply too hillbilly to be allowed past the gatekeepers. Thus, dining at their Big Orange table would never be permitted.

And here we are, 12 years later with the same type gatekeepers claiming authority over us plebes in their echo chamber of idiocy.
I have been going in there since KJH got fired and it's a miserable place. I feel like I need a hazmat suit to just go over there.

SF said DW has been given freedom to break the bank and that he’s absolutely swinging big. Said there’s a shortlist of 3 candidates and they’re in talks with their top choice and that it would be an absolute homerun hire. Said the other 2 are big upgrades as well and that their agents actually reached out to us about the opening.

My belief based on that and what Peay has said is that it’s Becky Hammon they’re talking with. SF mentioned they talked about making the top option the highest paid coach in women sports as well as some other upside items.
That last statement makes me think it's aimed at Dawn Staley. Offer Staley to be the highest paid women's coach in sports. If she turns it down then you go after Hammon or probably Walz (who could be the other two who reached out based on the smoke). Walz's agent reached out last time as well.

UK is absolutely recruiting better than other teams at the top of the conference.

In ‘23 they had the #1 class in the country.

In ‘24 they had the #2 class with four 5*.
And how far did that take them? Today's recruiting has to find guys that will provide value and stick around for more than a few months.

One and Done recruiting as the primary bulk of your team as Cal does it is looking more and more stupid and has made the fanbase hate him.

Springer, Johnson, Philips and Chandler were nice to have as rentals...but they ended up adding no longterm value.

That last statement makes me think it's aimed at Dawn Staley. Offer Staley to be the highest paid women's coach in sports. If she turns it down then you go after Hammon or probably Walz (who could be the other two who reached out based on the smoke). Walz's agent reached out last time as well.
SF had already said it wasn’t Staley.

The 3 could be Gottlieb, Walz and Hammon. He also said Pretty Molly is not on the list of 3.

Edit: Nevermind, scratch Walz, I forgot SF said all 3 are women candidates.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoilVol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back