Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do it to themselves.
Agreed but they don’t start it. It’s already there. Thankfully there are walls being broken down and positive influences spreading the right content. I do think though in the increasing public media and content driven society we’re in, there’s still way too much of the wrong message being spread, implicitly if not explicitly.

"Dave Hooker" is all it takes to dismiss this.

Also, what a lazy article. Instead of doing any actual journalistic work, he found someone else's article suggesting two names without any evidence of us contacting them, copy-and-pasted their work as 60% of his article and just gave blurbs about his opinion of the candidates.

How does Hooker have an income?

Income comes from you clicking the link.

Reactions: VolNRaleighNC
No...... I get the sentiment, but she's never coached before. 2. If she took the job and failed that would ruin her legacy. Maybe as an assistant but not as HC.
I don't think she would want it. It's a full time job, she is very involved in her family. Maybe if her partner wanted to make the move to TN with her.

She's also very, very close to Pat, or i should say was. She would carry too much of that weight doing it Pat's way instead of carrying her own way in Pat's footsteps. I'm partially convinced that's been the problem with our last two coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: mr.checkerboards
It’s the feel good story of the year per ncaa basketball. The moment he decided to come back for his senior year, the ncaa marketing machine went into story mode. They had an agenda all year to keep this awesome story alive. I’m not sure that it’s really that great of a story since he requires so much help to have great games…
I think all of those idiots felt sorry for him and Purdue after they got bounced last year..and they kept showing him crying like a giant Mongo baby.

Iirc he fouled out that game...and he has not since.

Imagine a “Blindside “ block.
It’s a very long way down from the deck of an aircraft carrier.

Surely they will have strong nets to catch anyone…that would be an awful look for Navy. Game was going well until the broadside swell and the one team fell off. 😳
“HC Alex Golesh stable and recovering from shark bite wound to his thigh. Suffered while protesting a call too far along the sidelines…”

ZZ's legs were gone. Too many minutes without an adequate PG back up in rotation. That is on CRB. Love our coach, but there are still gaps in the roster and apparently in development. Playing Aidoo against stronger big men is pointless. Awaka is strong, but too short to do it. That is a roster issue.

It is also a system issue. Playing great defense as a qualifier to get you on the floor is not it anymore. The officials negate that advantage. Being on the rules committee of the NCAA is not it anymore. Officials are permitted and given choice assignments for ignoring the rules if it benefits a preferred team. There are no absolutes, everything is relative. Example: an established position by a defensive player means nothing now. A bigger player on O is permitted to initiate contact and bull or shove the defensive player out of the way. If the defense player responds he is called for a foul. Totally against the rules as written, but called that way consistently game after game, year after year. Don't even get me started on the disappearance of the 3 second call as a violation. Playing by the rules is meant for suckers now. Matt Painter proved it twice this past season and shoved it in our faces prior to doing it.

As Heup has shown everybody it is about scoring with adequate defense. Keep pressing the advantage on O. I cannot stand the guy, but Nate Oats has it right. Score the ball and try to get enough stops to stay in the lead while you are scoring threes and layups. it is the only way to override the control of the officials. Even Voltello has made the move. He has filled the line-up with bombers who play decent D and has an adequate pitching staff.

The way of the sports world today...
You know what else is on Rick Barnes?...going to the E8 and winning the SEC and building a top 3-4 team in all of CBB...so can the stupid criticism.

Every team has several gaps...EVERY f'n team..except maybe UCONN.

1. I didn’t purposefully mislead anyone… I quickly looked at a wiki post and missed 2 of his final fours… Volnash quickly corrected me which i appreciate.

2. He had back to back ten loss seasons… you are free to argue that he is getting the talent needed to bounce back(which he may be)

3.I coached AAU basketball and my daughter played a lot of college basketball. I have been to the EYBL games and the other major tournaments… There is a bigger discrepancy between the top 15-20 girls and the rest of top 100 than there is in the men’s game at this point. An example of our top 100 girls is Sarah Puckett and Kaiya Winn.

4.I didn’t misrepresent his recruiting… I stated where he is ranked at this time…. Can he improve on that? Sure

5. I want a coach that ends up like Geno, Pat, Mulkey, Dawn….. I consider Jeff to be a proven second tier coach… I trust that DW can find the next SS coach whether they have as good a resume as Waltz has at this point or not…If he hires Jeff than I feel that DW feels he can assist him to get to that top tier.

Either way….you are free to want him…. Neither of our opinions matter.
All fair.

women's basketball is needles in the eyes. Softball/volleyball/gymnastics/diving/swimming/rowing...all entertaining and watchable.

put me back on ignore if you can't make the demarcation.

its still weird, btw.
I'd add track to volleyball, gymnastics and diving. That's about as far as I go with this genre.

Reactions: bignewt
It’s not the football program after a massive scandal. Have faith. DW knows what he’s doing.
I have faith in DW. People seem to have misconstrued my point. DW doesn't get to set the budget. He has bosses, too. Not just Donde and Randy, either. If he does indeed have an open checkbook, as has been insinuated, I think he'll be fine. My worry wasn't in DW or his ability, but in the budget he would be given to work with.

I think a lot of women prefer men supervisor/bosses. I've heard many women say working for another woman sucks.

Makes sense if it's the same way in sports
That's because female employees working under a man can influence situations at times. When they work for another woman, a tool is taken from their tool box.

Reactions: LaagerVol
ZZ's legs were gone. Too many minutes without an adequate PG back up in rotation. That is on CRB. Love our coach, but there are still gaps in the roster and apparently in development. Playing Aidoo against stronger big men is pointless. Awaka is strong, but too short to do it. That is a roster issue.

It is also a system issue. Playing great defense as a qualifier to get you on the floor is not it anymore. The officials negate that advantage. Being on the rules committee of the NCAA is not it anymore. Officials are permitted and given choice assignments for ignoring the rules if it benefits a preferred team. There are no absolutes, everything is relative. Example: an established position by a defensive player means nothing now. A bigger player on O is permitted to initiate contact and bull or shove the defensive player out of the way. If the defense player responds he is called for a foul. Totally against the rules as written, but called that way consistently game after game, year after year. Don't even get me started on the disappearance of the 3 second call as a violation. Playing by the rules is meant for suckers now. Matt Painter proved it twice this past season and shoved it in our faces prior to doing it.

As Heup has shown everybody it is about scoring with adequate defense. Keep pressing the advantage on O. I cannot stand the guy, but Nate Oats has it right. Score the ball and try to get enough stops to stay in the lead while you are scoring threes and layups. it is the only way to override the control of the officials. Even Voltello has made the move. He has filled the line-up with bombers who play decent D and has an adequate pitching staff.

The way of the sports world today...
Im honestly tired of our fans minimizing what Barnes has accomplished because of an improbable run by bama to the final 4…how many times does it need to be said the ncaa tournament is a crapshoot.

1. I didn’t purposefully mislead anyone… I quickly looked at a wiki post and missed 2 of his final fours… Volnash quickly corrected me which i appreciate.

2. He had back to back ten loss seasons… you are free to argue that he is getting the talent needed to bounce back(which he may be)

3.I coached AAU basketball and my daughter played a lot of college basketball. I have been to the EYBL games and the other major tournaments… There is a bigger discrepancy between the top 15-20 girls and the rest of top 100 than there is in the men’s game at this point. An example of our top 100 girls is Sarah Puckett and Kaiya Winn.

4.I didn’t misrepresent his recruiting… I stated where he is ranked at this time…. Can he improve on that? Sure

5. I want a coach that ends up like Geno, Pat, Mulkey, Dawn….. I consider Jeff to be a proven second tier coach… I trust that DW can find the next SS coach whether they have as good a resume as Waltz has at this point or not…If he hires Jeff than I feel that DW feels he can assist him to get to that top tier.

Either way….you are free to want him…. Neither of our opinions matter.
5. I want a coach that ends up like Pat, Geno...

You should be ashamed of yourself. Do better.

UT has never made it there. What is there to watch?
I watched the Dance before I moved from the Texas Panhandle to Knoxville as a 16 year old and became a VFL thanks to all of my Knoxville family and the Sugar Vols....I used to just be a huge basketball and MLB fan as a young teenager before I ever cared very much for college football.

Of course it is a big deal, but I still don't get cutting down the nets at that point. You still have to win two more games to be the champs. It just seems pre-mature to me. If that is what they do then that is what they do. I just think it should be reserved for the actual champs.
Winning the regional is a big deal...it is a college basketball tradition and has been as long as I remember, the programs hang those in a trophy case somewhere...like I said, now I understand why so many of you don't get basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back