Recruiting Football Talk VII

I don’t cry properly…it’s a personal defect. The news about SAS has tears pouring and my wife is perplexed. Hoping this post can be mocked when everything turns out all right.
Same thing for me. I don't know her outside of this forum but I cried like a baby when I read the news. She is one of my all-time favorites on VN.

That's there in my top 5
A. Boone's HR
Kirk Gibson
Met's game 6
Reggie's 3 HR game in '77
1. Joe Carter Homerun vs Phillies
2. Gibson Homerun off Eckersley
3.Reggie's3 Homerun day
4. Jack Morris gem of a game vs Braves in World Series. 10 innings complete game win.
5. Luis Gonzalez game 7 single off Sandman to win WS for Diamondbacks.

Reactions: DarthVol1 and DD4ME
1. Joe Carter Homerun vs Phillies
2. Gibson Homerun off Eckersley
3.Reggie's3 Homerun day
4. Jack Morris gem of a game vs Braves in World Series. 10 innings complete game win.
5. Luis Gonzalez game 7 single off Sandman to win WS for Diamondbacks.
Morris game is often forgotten, but never should be!

Was gone for a few days. Came back to we are losing Sanders, Hayward, Konanbanny, and House. What happened?

Reactions: DD4ME
I don’t cry properly…it’s a personal defect. The news about SAS has tears pouring and my wife is perplexed. Hoping this post can be mocked when everything turns out all right.
My wife also looked at me like I was crazy when I expressed how sad I was last night. Hoping for good news soon.

Gotcha. I've seen her posts before. I just didn't know if I was missing something. Thank you. Praying she makes it through!
This part of VN...the good ol RF...is really just a large dysfunctional family....SaS is one of the ones that keep us glued together.

I'm not well liked or loved, and that is my fault, but SaS always has my back, and she is one of the very few that can rein me in...I don't give a crap what a lot of people here think about me, but she is one of the few that I do care what they think, if she tells me I am over the line...I listen.

Nah. Cumulative loss has a way of doing that. The older I get, and the more people I've lost, the worse it has become.

On June 5, 1955, at Comiskey Park, Mickey Mantle, batting right-handed slugs a 550-foot home run against Chicago White Sox left-hander Billy Pierce in the 4th inning during the second game of the doubleheader. The blast clears the upper deck in left field at Comiskey Park. The Yankees would go to win the game in 10 innings 5-4.

Pierce tried to slip a fastball past Mickey and the Mick tore into it, sending a scorching high drive to left. The ball cleared the 360-foot mark, crossed the 160-foot roof and descended to smash a car windshield on 34th Street outside. Mantle’s blast went over the park’s 160-foot high left-field roof, directly above the field’s 360-foot mark. The ball eventually landed on a car parked on the other side of 34th Street, smashing the car’s windshield. A parking lot attendant recovered the ball.

Some papers reported that Mickey’s drive landed on the roof or hit a light tower but didn’t go out of the park. But the Comiskey Park attendants on the roof went to the Yankees locker room after the game to tell Mickey that his homer had cleared the roof and gone completely out of the park.

Only Jimmy Foxx had ever hit a ball that far. However, Mickey’s homer is the only one to have eyewitnesses to verify that it actually cleared the stadium.

View attachment 646022
I wonder how many guys here have heard of Jimmy Foxx..🤔 Foxx was a beast, but he is one of those forgotten yet awesome old players...like Johnny "The Big Cat" Mize, Hank "The Hebrew Hammer" Greenberg and others.

@peaygolf

What's your top 5 playoff moments since you been alive?

Damnit don't put Bucky Dent Homerun off Mike Torrez as #1
If you mean "postseason"...Kirk Gibsons homer is by far my #1...and I freaking HATE the Dodgers...but I respected the hell out of Gibson, he is the kind of gritty player I've always loved.

I will never forget that HR...it still gives me chills when I watch that sequence.

Reactions: knoxvol52

VN Store

Back