Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, let's start it up again...both points were right. Cream will rise to the top meaning the well managed teams with strong farm systems will do well. But then again, having lots more money than another team does make a difference and it sucks to see your good players constantly leaving for bigger markets (Reds). Last 20 World Series winners, how many were 'small market' teams?
Kansas City Royals, I'm positive there was more than one.

To me it's more...How many small market teams held on to their stars for more than a couple of years..that is my biggest gripe at modern baseball.

I've tried to make that clear.
Yes, a good point. That's why I inserted the David Price comment. I saw too many good players leave the Rays (Evan Longoria).

On June 12, 1970, Dock Ellis, a pitcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates, accomplished what is perhaps the single greatest achievement in the history of sports – he pitched a no-hitter while under the influence of LSD. Apparently he mistakenly thought he had the day off and dropped acid the morning of the game. He walked 8 batters, and hit a few, and had a bunch of wild pitches, but he pitched a no-hitter shut out, and won the game against the San Diego Padres 2-0.

1718204360161.png

On June 12, 1970, Dock Ellis, a pitcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates, accomplished what is perhaps the single greatest achievement in the history of sports – he pitched a no-hitter while under the influence of LSD. Apparently he mistakenly thought he had the day off and dropped acid the morning of the game. He walked 8 batters, and hit a few, and had a bunch of wild pitches, but he pitched a no-hitter shut out, and won the game against the San Diego Padres 2-0.

View attachment 648016
...and thus continued to take LSD before every game there after. 😅

There was absolutely no point. He thinks the way I feel about the MLB system is stupid...and I think he is a obtuse jackass...so..🤷‍♂️
Don’t remember DIRECTING the word “stupid” AT you…just quoting your wanton usage of it. “Obtuse” indeed. How’d that fancy word squeeze up into your head wound? 🤨

West averaged 27 ppg for his career without a 3 point line.

Besides being a great player, West was a great executive for many years. The guy who drafted the 2nd greatest Laker Kobe Bean Bryant.

Magic #3

West acquired Kobe via trade. He didn't actually draft him. Still gets credit for putting that team together.

Reactions: knoxvol52
West averaged 27 ppg for his career without a 3 point line.

Besides being a great player, West was a great executive for many years. The guy who drafted the 2nd greatest Laker Kobe Bean Bryant.

Magic #3
I'm not taking ANYTHING away from West, elite elite elite; but, imo, Magic is the 3rd greatest Bball player of ALL TIME behind MJ and Bird, Kobe being 4th on that list, and Kareem 5th (and, that's from an old-school Celtic fan...that's how much respect I have for those guys). West is 4th or 5th greatest Laker...Magic, Kobe, Kareem, with West & Wilt rounding out top 5...with the Diesel having a say about it.

To me it's more...How many small market teams held on to their stars for more than a couple of years..that is my biggest gripe at modern baseball.

I've tried to make that clear.
Clear as MUD. Players start a SIX YEAR clock when they make the majors full time…minors don’t count towards that. So that’s automatically THREE TIMES what you’re garbling around on here. Know more!

Last edited:
Reactions: mrMet
Hmmmm, how are they dramatically different from band members or other students….. idk, maybe the fact they rake in MILLIONS/BILLIONS for the universities each year?
As a former POTS member, I'm looking forward to the push to pay band members for providing entertainment at sporting events and just adding to the overall pageantry of it all. Bank geeks deserve to be paid, too!!

VOLS 2022 team got my loving baseball again. I did love it, when the Braves had Maddox, Glavine, Avery and Smoltz, but then the strike came and it seemed to be all about money and I just lost interest. I still don't care for pro baseball for the most part--- hate that they play all those months - see every team, and it means nothing in post season, among other things. But those 2022 baseVOLS were fun and rowdy and we weren't the only fans that noticed them. So, another success for Tony and that team is that it got fans like me back. Fans who had previously loved baseball but felt it had lost something. What a team that was.

I’m the same way. MLB is a long season and a marathon. And even when we get to the postseason, I halfway pay attention, but I’m immersed in college football, and I’m not watching any Saturday MLB postseason game over any college football game.

The college game is not as good fundamentally and you can see the drastic differences. But I love the passion and emotion on the college level and it has made me get invested in baseball again. I don’t mind the metal bats either. I like to see some hitting. I give a lot of credit to TV too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back