Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was not fruitless. I think people see a loss as a loss but fail to see that in series baseball, the way we finish a game has consequences for the next game.

We burned some of their arms yesterday. Looking back at the end of the game in particular, Blake Burke was struck out looking. But that AB was more fruitful for the series than if he went yard on the first pitch.

That was a 10 pitch AB for their closer. We pushed their closer to ~30 pitches iirc. Which severely impacts his availability for today. Their reliever is also probably not getting another look in this series unless they get desperate in G3.

Yesterday was not fruitless. I think people see a loss as a loss but fail to see that in series baseball, the way we finish a game has consequences for the next game.

We burned some of their arms yesterday. Looking back at the end of the game in particular, Blake Burke was struck out looking. But that AB was more fruitful for the series than if he went yard on the first pitch.

That was a 10 pitch AB for their closer. We pushed their closer to ~30 pitches iirc. Which severely impacts his availability for today. Their reliever is also probably not getting another look in this series unless they get desperate in G3.
I remember seeing 40+. And he’s definitely their best arm. If we don’t seem him again I’m confident we overcome. I think so long as we take care of business today, we’ll see him end of game 3, which should make for a dramatic ending. History is ours for the taking! This is why you play the game!

Reactions: Billy Antrim
I remember seeing 40+. And he’s definitely their best arm. If we don’t seem him again I’m confident we overcome. I think so long as we take care of business today, we’ll see him end of game 3, which should make for a dramatic ending. History is ours for the taking! This is why you play the game!

I’d say we’ll see him at some point Monday

Yesterday would have required Stamos & Causey to have flawless performances.

A&M had to have their 3 best pitchers throw 45+ to get the win. Today we just need Beam to be dialed in, we’ll have hits & runs.

Idk if I’d call Stewart (2nd arm yesterday) one of their 3 best pitchers. He’s been really good as of late tho.

Reactions: knoxvol52
I actually think we swing the bats better when we look to make contact versus swinging for the fences. I think it gives us an advantage because we still have the power to hit some out. Plus I think it will help Beam like the 1st game he pitched.
I don’t know if it is the same for all our hitters but C-Mo’s swing is the same no matter if hits a single or if he hits it out.

Reactions: WangoTango
Not equivalent situations.

The 2 guys Vols were choosing from were Causey and Beam. Causey actually had a little better stats than Beam on the year going into that game. Even after getting touched up yesterday Causey has a 4.43 ERA and Beam 4.30.

The 2 guys A&M was choosing from were Prager - who now has a 2.95 ERA (yesterday raised his ERA) and a guy with an ERA of 5.00 in Lamkin who started G1 of the CWS.
Yeah…. people acted like we held back Paul Skenes or someone like that…. More rest was the right decision… we need these guys pitching at optimal level.

I agree. I hate bullpen games with a passion, but understand after Burns bolted and Russell went down that was how it had to be. Those were two tough pitcher losses. Yet, the team persevered. Hopefully they will again today and tomorrow.

The mid-weeks are the training grounds for the future starters and that has me a bit confused. I see Snead as a future starter, hopefully Russell is back, possibly Loy and/another on the current roster. But it appears to me the portal is calling in a big way.
It's a gamble. It would be ashame if you go home without your #1 pitcher throwing an inning in the championship series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back