Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this today in regards to Bobby Bo day. He aint the only one for sure.

The ongoing salary deferrals for former MLB star Bobby Bonilla (above), kicking in once again Monday, have become something of an unofficial holiday. But the arrival of July 1 brings not only another seven-figure check for Bonilla, but serious money for several other former playersโ€”as well as an entirely new context for deferrals thanks to an active superstar.
As has been the case since 2011, Bonilla today will receive a $1.19 million annual payment from the Mets, a continuation of a deferral structure created in 2000, and lasting until โ€™35. But heโ€™s far from alone. Other prior stars getting paid today include:
  • Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Jr. will receive the final $3.59 million from a 16-year, $57.5 million deferral agreement with the Reds.
  • Manny Ramirez will receive $2 million from the Red Sox as part of a 16-year, $32 million deferral pact running through 2026.
  • Chris Davis will receive $9.1 million from the Orioles as part of deferrals contained within his prior $161 million contract. According to Spotrac, Davis has another $40 million due from the team between now and 2037.
  • The 61-year-old Bonilla, meanwhile, has a second deferral agreement with the Orioles, who are paying him $500,000 each year from 2004โ€“28.
  • Bret Saberhagen will receive $250,000 annually from the Mets in his own deal running from 2004โ€“28, with that pact helping inspire Bonillaโ€™s agreements.
Some of these payments are well in excess of the 2024 salaries of many current MLB stars including the Oriolesโ€™ Gunnar Henderson ($756,200), Redsโ€™ Elly De La Cruz ($724,500), and Yankeesโ€™ Anthony Volpe ($810,100). Many more deferral payments are forthcoming as notable current players such as the Rangersโ€™ Max Scherzer and the Dodgersโ€™ Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman have deferrals in their current or prior contracts, as such structures provide near-term financial flexibility for teams and longer-term security for players.

A New Look at Deferrals

All of these contract provisions, however, pale in comparison to the $680 million in total deferrals for Dodgers superstar Shohei Ohtani. The Japanese phenom agreed to set aside $68 million of his $70 million annual salary to help keep his new team competitive, and he will be paid that money instead between 2034โ€“43.
The unprecedented scale of Ohtaniโ€™s deferrals, however, has raised the ire of some California legislators that fear missing out on nearly $100 million in critical tax revenue. Earlier this year, the state senate passed legislation urging the U.S. Congress to establish a โ€œreasonable cap on deferred compensation,โ€ in turn allowing individual states to capture more tax revenue. The measure is now moving to the state assembly for consideration.
Freakin Commiefornia...a den of thieves..๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Itโ€™s SEC level.
It's South American soccer corruption at it's finest. The ref isn't bad, he's legitimately corrupt. He's doing exactly what he wants to do.
1. Killed an American advantage after a foul.
2. Allowed an illegal advantage for Uruguay when play should've been stopped for a card being issued.
3. Has issued more cards to American players despite more fouls to Uruguay (iirc)
4. Wouldn't issue a card after a wreckless challenge to Joe Scally until the same player shoved Matt Turner in the aftermath.
5. Gave Tyler Adams a card for embellishment when he was legitimately fouled and injured on what should've been a card to Uruguay.

It's horrendous.

We just missed at 46% but have a dynamic QB that can make a difference. Washington almost busted the stat last year and had a dynamic QB. Bud Elliott is quoted as saying that we could be the team that breaks that stat.

Transfers are not included, and Bru, Heard, Thornton, Turrentine, Karic, and Staes were all blue chips out of high school. Our roster is top 16ish.

Yeah, I am concerned that we can't buck the trend but we will see. Definitely excited about the season.

I guess that I still sometimes miss the Fulmer era when TN was recruiting at Alabama/Georgia levels. Heupel is arguably the best TN coach in my lifetime (I think he is better X&O than Fulmer) but we still are not fully back yet.

I wonder how much the Pruitt sanctions still hurt.

It's South American soccer corruption at it's finest. The ref isn't bad, he's legitimately corrupt. He's doing exactly what he wants to do.
1. Killed an American advantage after a foul.
2. Allowed an illegal advantage for Uruguay when play should've been stopped for a card being issued.
3. Has issued more cards to American players despite more fouls to Uruguay (iirc)
4. Wouldn't issue a card after a wreckless challenge to Joe Scally until the same player shoved Matt Turner in the aftermath.
5. Gave Tyler Adams a card for embellishment when he was legitimately fouled and injured on what should've been a card to Uruguay.

It's horrendous.
Like I said, SEC level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back