Recruiting Football Talk VII

You've been talking about the stolen pitch comm for a while and advocating using it to show cause or otherwise incriminate Schloss. I'm saying you're making a huge deal out of almost nothing, and it's likely (or would be argued as such) that Schloss had no idea the kid even brought it back to the dugout with him when he "lied to the NCAA (umps)" as you put it.

It's not a conspiracy, I just think you're making a mountain of a mole hill.
What makes me think if it had been a Vol shown with an Aggie device that it would not only be a “huge deal” but all that their board, other teams fan boards, national writers and ESPN blathered about for endless news cycles? Hell, Vandy, Arkansas still mutter about the wrong sticker on a bat. 😅

I hate asking but if anyone has a prayer to spare please, I need it more now for me and the OH than ever. I would crawl through broken glass to make it right (and I do mean that literally) but I don't know that I can. He lost hospice service and he's been through every hospice so no one wants to help. The hospital person had the nerve to push me to put him a nursing home and was no help. I'm at the end of my rope. I literally need a miracle. I can't live without him and he needs care (a nursing home would be the death of him). I'm no saint and have never claimed to be but I need a miracle.

I hate asking but if anyone has a prayer to spare please, I need it more now for me and the OH than ever. I would crawl through broken glass to make it right (and I do mean that literally) but I don't know that I can. He lost hospice service and he's been through every hospice so no one wants to help. The hospital person had the nerve to push me to put him a nursing home and was no help. I'm at the end of my rope. I literally need a miracle. I can't live without him and he needs care (a nursing home would be the death of him). I'm no saint and have never claimed to be but I need a miracle.
Praying that God provides you the miracle that you need in Jesus name.

Percentage that Will Brooks is the starting safety week 1?

-AP

Makes no sense unless the guys we've recruited just aren't talented. Or is Brooks really just that good? Possible the sites missed on a guy. Wouldn't be the first time. But if we get poor secondary play again this year, it'll be time for a change IMO.

Praying that God provides you the miracle that you need in Jesus name.
Thank you isn't a good enough description for what this means to me. And I mean that for all of you. I know VN's heart and I wish the world was much more like it. There's no better bunch on this planet and if nothing else I have that blessing.

What makes me think if it had been a Vol shown with an Aggie device that it would not only be a “huge deal” but all that their board, other teams fan boards, national writers and ESPN blathered about for endless news cycles? Hell, Vandy, Arkansas still mutter about the wrong sticker on a bat. 😅
tl;dr Since someone is interested...

ESPN turned their cameras away from most of it. It was the reason Burke almost got into the altercation with TAMU's third base coach, and it could have gotten really ugly. There was a point when many players from both dugouts were out on the field. ESPN also suppressed that video (just didn't show it), but one of the announcers described it (very briefly afterward) (I think it is around the time Phillips came in.) Anyway, none of the other announcers responded or seemed interested.

It's the reason our coaches did not shake hands with the TAMU coaches after the game (only Tony and Schloss did).

The pitchcom did not get lost in Camarillo's clothes. That is stupid. It was plainly visible on his sleeve when he is sitting on the ground after he was tagged out. When he starts to get up -- and as third base coach Nolan Cain approaches him -- ESPN cuts the picture off, both live and again in the replay. They edit out what happened. I can't say on purpose. But the pitchcom didn't simply disappear into thin air after it was on Camarillo's sleeve the previous second (in the video). Unedited video would likely show that Camarillo pocketed or palmed it himself in plain sight of his coach Cain or that he handed it to coach Cain who did the same.

Burke apparently saw what happened. There is the briefest glimpse of him halfway across the diamond shouting apparently at Cain in the video. And reports from those present who say Burke and Cain almost got into it. This is the point where one of the announcers tells what has been happening and that was not televised iirc.

It's also interesting to see Tony at the mound when Phillips comes in, apparently explaining to our team that we can no longer use our stolen pitchcom system. Burke is rather animated in talking to Tony before Tony takes over. Phillips gives a what-a-POS look in the direction of the third base box. After one pitch, Stark comes out to have a talk with Philips, both covering their mouths with their gloves. Maybe the first signal was confused and it had to be straighten out.

One of the announcers went out of his way to point out shortly after this: "It is interesting that Tennessee is using signals." Then he amplied his remark in repeating it. Something like: "he [Phillips] has a pitchcom on his arm, but he is not using it. Stark is signaling pitches, which is unusual." Perhaps that was the most he felt like he could say (for the sake of the subtle) to explain what had happened. That is, that TAMU had swiped a Tennessee pitchcom. And that is what the commotion was about. Apparently it was decided somehow that the event would be ignored. That in itself seems rather bizarre.

Frank Anderson came out on to the field when the big (non-televised) uproar happened, according to first hand reports, and questioned the umpire and asked the umpire to check TAMU's player. They went over and questioned him and they said they did not have it. To me this is peculiar also because Anderson coming on to the field and talking to an umpire who then goes to a player (and maybe base coach) is exactly the kind of thing I see television loving to show in baseball broadcasts. It's all about the upset managers and umps!

After all that, how could Schloss not ask his player and third base coach and the umpire wtf was happening? I mean if he didn't already know? He just had zero curiosity about what they were all arguing about? Makes no sense.

The whole episode from the tag out to the end of the inning are interesting to watch and listen to. I would love to know what Tony said to Schloss after the game.

Last edited:
Thank you isn't a good enough description for what this means to me. And I mean that for all of you. I know VN's heart and I wish the world was much more like it. There's no better bunch on this planet and if nothing else I have that blessing.
You are welcome, we all need prayers in one way or another. The people of VN are one of a kind, I know we can have disagreements or argue back and forth but when it comes time to where one needs help or prayers ,they step up. They are some good people. God is in control of your situation.

So our safety room is looking like: Turrentine, Brooks, Thomas, Savage, Charles, Carter, Farooq, Jakobe Thomas, and yet it’s a 50/50 shot that Brooks is the starter. That has to speak negatively on Banks, right? Unless Brooks made that big of a jump in the offseason

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Makes no sense unless the guys we've recruited just aren't talented. Or is Brooks really just that good? Possible the sites missed on a guy. Wouldn't be the first time. But if we get poor secondary play again this year, it'll be time for a change IMO.
I agree
How do you Recruit for three classes and have will brooks starting at safety.
He may be a stud now but last year he looked slow and not quite as athletic as what you would want imo but I’m not the db coach……

Maybe it is time for a change at db coach…..

I can’t watch our safeties get beat deep almost every game agains this year and if they do we aren’t making playoffs…..

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Yeah, I am concerned that we can't buck the trend but we will see. Definitely excited about the season.

I guess that I still sometimes miss the Fulmer era when TN was recruiting at Alabama/Georgia levels. Heupel is arguably the best TN coach in my lifetime (I think he is better X&O than Fulmer) but we still are not fully back yet.

I wonder how much the Pruitt sanctions still hurt.
It's not just the sanctions...it's the 15 years of irrelevance and pure incompetence.

VN Store

Back