Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chipper is one of the few others that were great, too.

Schmidt was a 9 Win player at his peak.
He hit 550 HR, won 10 Gold Gloves, was a 3x MVP.

There’s really not another that approaches his total value proposition.
Schmidt was easily number one when you look at both offense and defense.

Last edited:
Time is the cruelest thing I've ever known. It heals all wounds at the same time it robs you of the things you love most........ And it always keeps marching.

It's the most valuable asset man has and the most fleeting. It's always taking and giving. It's a curse and a blessing. But every once in a while the low is worse than the high, especially when you see it coming..... But the blessing is the grace in knowing and being able to prepare..... It's better than the what ifs. Saying goodbye, or preparing yourself for saying goodbye hurts, but isn't that the blessing? Being able to spread your grief out instead of it consuming you? Making some peace in a world of chaos and senselessness.........

Chipper is one of the few others that were great, too.

Schmidt was a 9 Win player at his peak.
He hit 550 HR, won 10 Gold Gloves, was a 3x MVP.

There’s really not another that approaches his total value proposition.
I agree overall. Brooks Robinson is another that is up there for sure though.

18x All Star
16x Gold Glove winner
38.8 dWar, #1 all time for a 3B

Better defensively, worse offensively than Schmidt and Chipper. All 3 had longevity too at 17, 20, and 22 year careers.

Career counting stats:

Schmidt: .267/.380/.527, OPS -- .908, Hits - 2,234, HRs -- 548, RBIs - 1,595
Chipper: .303/.401/.529, OPS -- .930, Hits -- 2,726, HRs -- 468, RBIs -- 1,623
Robinson: .267/.322/.401, OPS -- .723, Hits -- 2,848, HRs -- 268, RBIs -- 1,357

Last edited:
Defensively, Brooks Robinson was another great third baseman.
Got to see him play at the old Tiger Stadium in Detroit in '73 when I was a kid. I don't have any cool story to go with that, just happy that I got to see him play.

Also got to see another great 3rd baseman play in the 70s at the old Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati, ol' Charlie Hustle.

Ok...they hit more HRs because their bats were different...so...asterisk.

It should at least be pointed out when comparing the teams records that there was a significant difference.

You have your opinion...I have mine.
Maybe we should be highlighted for how many innings missed because of the run rule.
I think we averaged 2.5 HRs per game. Therefore, we would have definitely hit more HRs with 25 more at bats…
If someone wants to check my math?

Either way 60 win NC 🤠

Maybe we should be highlighted for how many innings missed because of the run rule.
I think we averaged 2.5 HRs per game. Therefore, we would have definitely hit more HRs with 25 more at bats…
If someone wants to check my math?

Either way 60 win NC 🤠
We lost 25 innings (almost 3 full games), at least 75 more at bats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back