Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reportedly the offensive players flat loved Riley and were really excited about "modernizing" their offense, stretching the field vertically, a lot of RPO, getting the ball to playmakers in space, and using fast tempo to prevent defensive substitutions. Etc., etc.

Clemson had spent the entire time since they lost to Tennessee implementing this new offense and hyped these changes to their fan base all off-season.

The Clemson board last night was incredibly angry that, as they said, at the last minute Dabo pulled the controls back in a mixture of jealousy, fear, stupidity, and incompetence. It was not unfunny to read.

They claimed that when a reporter was asked in camp about "the Riley offense," Dabo got visibly angry (although he tried to hide it) and retorted that "this is the Clemson [Dabo] offense." They should have known right there what Dabo was going to do, they said.

Dabo had blamed all his failures on his coordinator and quarterback, ditched them both very publicly, and then brought in someone to do what Dabo himself had no idea how to do for himself. And then at last minute (so to speak) he "took his ball and went 'home'" like a petulant child to his "dumb" notions that he had made such a display of blaming on others. He called his own game, his own old way, they said.

One wonders if this plays a role in Klubnik's now famous "drive-by" last night when Dabo tried to shake his hand.

Yet after the loss Dabo subtly blamed Riley! " I liked [Garrett Riley’s] poise. He just kept going, and he stayed positive, and he kept encouraging the guys. And go right back down the field, and we’d have a miscue there."

Comedy gold.
I really need this to happen at A&M.

Hey guys, check out the tracker I made for Joe Milton Bombs for this season. In the FF.

Good job, nice touch with the video links integrated.

Anyone heard how Klubnik's mom is doing today?

Asking for a friend.
Her and Tod apparently made up last night after the incident at my house. The problem is, they made up in the azaleas, and as was previously mentioned, Tod is extremely allergic to azaleas and they had to head back to the hospital.

Deflection. Ever since Freak came out and said notification hoarding causes problems, you have lived in a state of denial. To the point Freak had to do an update where notifications check themselves. We all know the truth!

Do they?
1693944950093.png
Dr Evil Evil Laugh GIF - Dr Evil Evil Laugh Austin Powers - Discover &  Share GIFs

What are your sources for that 2nd paragraph?
The Clemson message board meltdown, in large part.

(With some dainty polite implied confirmation from some of the articles written in SC today, for good measure.)

But also -- and you can look at it -- everything written about Clemson and for its fans all off-season. All they did was hype this new offense, with a lot of details. How it was a seismic change. With the features I mentioned.

And then suddenly, at the last minute, it was not implemented.

That Dabo took play calling away from Riley was a big deal on the message board. I continually referenced the message board in the post: "they said." They did say you can see Dabo with the big play list and making the calls on camera. They said Riley had a little note card in his hand and was not calling plays. Funny.

If they are just irate and making things up, that might be even funnier. But there is still the problem of how to account for the difference between how the offense operated in real life last night and how it has been described in some detail and hyped every day since the Orange Bowl. Something happened.

Last edited:
is it more or is this deja vu from early last year? if the receiver had caught that ball we wouldn’t even be having this discussion…
Milton’s work will be under a microscope here because we know he’s the key. The Milton we all want is a playoff shot potential qb and the Milton we hope is long gone is how nico takes the field second half of the year. Milton is such a great dude and volnation, including myself, will always respect that guy. We just want to see him take us to the promise land because he’s insanely gifted.

Reactions: densojb3
Wow..ark st is awful. Looks like Butch is very much up to his old s&c policies. They were extremely slow, couldn't get off blocks, couldn't tackle, couldn't stop receivers even holding and interfering. Couldn't do anything in the red zone. It was the epitome of a poorly coached team. They should really make a movie about this con job he has pulled in the college coaching world. It is quiet remarkable how he has absolutely stolen millions of dollars from universities. The ride is over now though. Nobody will give him a shot again.

Milton’s work will be under a microscope here because we know he’s the key. The Milton we all want is a playoff shot potential qb and the Milton we hope is long gone is how nico takes the field second half of the year. Milton is such a great dude and volnation, including myself, will always respect that guy. We just want to see him take us to the promise land because he’s insanely gifted.
i was just referencing one specific game last year, maybe the Pitt game, where a couple of passes were dropped and stats were affected, and the critics said the same thing. I am not dwelving into the muck, but how the muck got started last year and is deja vu this year.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX

(With some dainty polite implied confirmation from some of the articles written in SC today, for good measure.)

But also -- and you can look at it -- everything written about Clemson and for its fans all off-season. All they did was hype this new offense, with a lot of details. How it was a seismic change. With the features I mentioned.

That Dabo took play calling away from Riley was a big deal on the message board. I continually referenced the message board in the post: "they said." They did say you can see Dabo with the big play list and making the calls on camera. They said Riley had a little note card in his hand and was not calling plays. Funny.

If they are just irate and making things up, that might be even funnier. But there is still the problem of how to account for the difference between how the offense operated in real life last night and how it has been described in some detail and hyped every day since the Orange Bowl. Something happened.
Do we know that Dabo took away play calling? Do we know that they didn't implement the offense? Or were they just bad at implementing the offense?

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
The thing about what Deion did that is being left out is that Deion was able to do it because he was a superstar celeb prior to ever coaching a game. He had more fame walking into a college football coaching job than most established college coaches - good ones too. He is an anomaly. Other people aren't going to be able to do what he's done. He wouldn't be able to do it had he not been Deion the player. A superstar as recognizable as Brady or Manning.

Further, we really don't know how good or bad TCU is this year. They themselves went to the playoffs from a portal built team of seniors and super seniors and they lost most of those players.
And it's only one game. And it was only the offense that looked good. I'm gonna wait and see before I crown him the second coming.

That was the word when Dabo saw it first hand in getting drubbed in the Orange Bowl, fired his OC, and brought in Garrett Riley from TCU to do it.

The subsequent word is that Dabo got all jelly, undermined the new offense, undermined Riley's standing with the players, and took over play calling last night. So what you saw was 100% Dabo. Being "smarter" than someone he hired to "imitate" Heupel. 😂
Both words sounds pretty dumb to me. Riley doesn't run the same offense as Heupel, so I doubt Dabo "brought him in to run Heup's offense." And there's no way Dabo would commit football suicide by implementing and practicing an offense for 6 months, then on gameday totally unimplement it and go to something totally different that none of the players know how to run.

Yes Dabo is a tool, but there seems to be a lot of silly rumors being made up by people who don't like him, which is almost everyone.

Reminds me of the time Fulmer brought in Dave Clausen to modernize the offense, and then didn't let him.

Clemson losing badly to Duke, LSU getting their doors blown off late by FSU, Ohio State sleepwalking against Indiana. If Alabama loses to Texas this weekend, it will really feel like the CFP era power structure is over and a new hierarchy is beginning. I’m here for it, because Tennessee is poised to be back near the top of it.
Can’t stand the thought of Texas or AL winning. Just going to celebrate whichever one loses.

And it's only one game. And it was only the offense that looked good. I'm gonna wait and see before I crown him the second coming.
The hype is about to go bonkers when they beat Nebraska. When in reality they've just beaten two bad teams. TCU lost over half of their offensive production from last year and they lost all but one of their DL from last year. It was a totally different team that will probably barely make a bowl this year. It's crazy that Colorado gets ranked from beating them. Even the pre-season polls didn't have TCU ranked.

I can't wait for Colorado to play someone decent.

He’s already sticking it in everybody’s face one game into the season. WHEN he hits a rough patch, he’ll be defined by his response. Truly elite coaches use losses as teaching lessons and don’t repeat their own mistakes.

Both words sounds pretty dumb to me. Riley doesn't run the same offense as Heupel, so I doubt Dabo "brought him in to run Heup's offense." And there's no way Dabo would commit football suicide by implementing and practicing an offense for 6 months, then on gameday totally unimplement it and go to something totally different that none of the players know how to run.

Yes Dabo is a tool, but there seems to be a lot of silly rumors being made up by people who don't like him, which is almost everyone.
The speculation reminds me of what most people believe Fulmer did to Clawson. Brought him on to run his offense, then limited how his offense was implemented and called.

Do we know that Dabo took away play calling? Do we know that they didn't implement the offense? Or were they just bad at implementing the offense?
Oh, sorry, you were responding to that post (#356). I thought you were commenting on the previous one.

I don't claim to know. I just know what the message board was ranting about with no dissenters, what some in the SC sports press gingerly implied, and what the off-season articles promised. I'm really fine, either way. If they worked on it all year under Dabo's expert head coach's eye and yet it was completely unrecognizable on the field, that amuses me more. If all the off-season articles and hype were just invented to stop fans from lambasting Dabo for taking an Orange Bowl beatdown, but never had a real or at least reasonable basis, that tickles me. If the case was in fact that G Riley was running the show but did not know how to run his own offense, I suppose one would expect that Dabo would figure that out before kickoff; but, if not, I don't mind if Dabo failed that way.

He’s already sticking it in everybody’s face one game into the season. WHEN he hits a rough patch, he’ll be defined by his response. Truly elite coaches use losses as teaching lessons and don’t repeat their own mistakes.
"When he gets his first loss, I sure hope he works really hard to not get used to losing"

~ Bubble Screen Billy

One thing to take into consideration….. Garrett Riley is a young coach that was running the sonny Dykes offense…. It wasn’t the Riley offense….. it would be sort of like if someone hires Hazle in a couple of years as OC….. will he be able to run it the same away from Heup?

Players AND coaches from that staff were hyping the tempo that was being implemented and Tennessee was referenced…by Dabo himself. This reminds me of 2016 when the offset I from the bowl game was hinted at and we got THREE total looks all season. Always believed that Butch promised DeBord and Hurd some variety…and then reneged. Both left. Dabo doesn’t get Riley on campus without promising him autonomy. Don’t believe I saw that last night. Dabo running out of the tunnel full speed ahead of the team ALL BY HIMSELF was fairly symbolic. 😎

The speculation reminds me of what most people believe Fulmer did to Clawson. Brought him on to run his offense, then limited how his offense was implemented and called.
Fulmer had a big issue with constantly flipping sides of the line…. We struggled really badly at the start and Fulmer dumped it/took over…. He knew he was being fired and was going down swinging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back