Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Love the win, beyond happy. Ready to get home and get healthy.

…but man that last roughing the passer call still irritates the crap out of me. Blatantly obvious it was a last ditch effort for a back door cover.
Eeehhh he hit the face mask. My bigger gripe is they didn't review to make sure it wasn't a fumble. I didn't think it was a fumble at first glance, but it really needed to be reviewed.

Heupel changed the play calling in this game after we got up and it was really smart. With the way our defense was playing, the only way we were going to lose was with turnovers.

Also: with the field conditions the way they were, I bet that played a role in the decision too
I bet being down to 2 OTs also played a lot into it. They tried to run normal offense and it didn't work like normal

Butch level performance is a stretch. But way too conservative. Gave them opportunities to comeback instead of finishing them off in the 3rd quarter
It was absolutely the correct coaching decision in this game, under these circumstances. It was smart. Nice to have a very smart football coach. Against a great front 7 and great defensive coach and with 2 backup, shaky offensive tackles. Them scoring or getting great field position from their defense was much more likely than them driving the field against our defense. Simple!

Reactions: A.Vol70
It was absolutely the correct coaching decision in this game, under these circumstances. It was smart. Nice to have a very smart football coach. Against a great front 7 and great defensive coach and with 2 backup, shaky offensive tackles. Them scoring or getting great field position from their defense was much more likely than them driving the field against our defense. Simple!
Yes, he’s a smart football coach. Very refreshing.

Eeehhh he hit the face mask. My bigger gripe is they didn't review to make sure it wasn't a fumble. I didn't think it was a fumble at first glance, but it really needed to be reviewed.
Barely, in slow motion it looked weak as hell. No sense in griping over it now, but the disparity in penalties overall and OU not holding once also played into it.

We win, the score was closer than the game really was, I’m good overall. It’s just irritating.

Reactions: MockingVol
Heupel changed the play calling in this game after we got up and it was really smart. With the way our defense was playing, the only way we were going to lose was with turnovers.

Also: with the field conditions the way they were, I bet that played a role in the decision too
The play calling in the second half was not aggressive at all. We tried not to lose instead of blow their doors offf. He didn’t want to make them look bad and made it a closer game than it had to be imo

Butch level performance is a stretch. But way too conservative. Gave them opportunities to comeback instead of finishing them off in the 3rd quarter
It was conservative and it was obvious at half that was the plan.

I disagreed with it as much as anybody else but the game wasn’t close after 15 min

The play calling in the second half was not aggressive at all. We tried not to lose instead of blow their doors offf. He didn’t want to make them look bad and made it a closer game than it had to be imo
Had nothing to do with making them look bad. Had everything to do with a dominant defense and up 3 scores. He’s a smart football coach.

I don't necessarily enjoy seeing a conservative Heupel offense lol and it kind of sucked that it was so close...but I get it and it was probably the correct tactical decision.

Tennessee hasn't won a game like this since what, 2006? Let's enjoy it. We know Heupel isn't a dummy or a bad play caller. Whatever reasons he had for playing it like this were his and it worked out.

GBO

VN Store

Back