Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Will be interesting to see on WR rotation. That’s been a point of discussion on here for a couple years.

Edit - ‘preciate the post
I think they are comfortable playing Bru, Brazzell, Squirrel, Thornton, Nimrod, Webb and Matthews. Staley may be close too.

I'm happy to hear about Webb and Nimrod's progression, but I'm skeptical about them being close to what we would actually want playing a significant role in our offense. Don't see the athleticism necessary. Line we will be just ok if we have to play them a lot, but I doubt our offense is near as explosive as we want if they are out there.

Reactions: OrangeMoundTNVol
Tennessee will return to the practice field on Wednesday for two days of work before Friday night’s first major scrimmage.

Eric Cain does a great job bringing you daily observations and we talked fall camp on the Tuesday podcast, but ahead of Friday’s scrimmage and on an off day of football here are a few more observations and bigger picture thoughts.

Defensively

I said it on the podcast and I will say it again here, the biggest transformation from a talent standpoint in the program the last four years is on defense.

Everyone knows I’m a glass half empty guy, but the glass looks pretty full on the defensive line. It’s going to be fascinating to see how Rodney Garner downplays his group on Wednesday when he meets the media.

We know they are deep in numbers and we know the stars and the veterans but ahead of the scrimmage a couple of guys have stood out to me in a surprising way.

I think Jayson Jenkins is taking a real step forward. Jenkins flirted with leaving via the transfer portal but decided to stay. Jenkins has long been praised for his work ethic and all the extra stuff he does. To me ahead of scrimmage and a bunch of full pad work he looks to have taken a step. He’s a name no one mentions. Will be interesting to see what Garner says about him and what he does the next couple of weeks in camp.

Another guy that looks fresh is Elijah Simmons. Simmons weight is as good as it’s been. He has more explosion than people know and he’s had a couple of moments in some drills we have seen that have been impressive.

Now can he stay healthy? That’s the question. There are some NFL guys who believe that Simmons is an NFL player. It’s a contract year for him so it will be interesting to see what he can do the rest of fall camp and this season.

The bottom line is that the defensive front is a handful as we expected them to be. They should be able to wear offensive lines out.

At linebacker, they are what I thought they would be at this point. So no real surprises for me there. I think Spillman will be a handful on special teams. We will see how much he plays defensively. I think it says a lot about the culture of the program that a guy like Kalib Perry is on the roster. Perry is a good player. He will play plenty for this team in a rotation. He would probably play more at another school but he has never flirted with leaving and has continued to work. He’s a really nice piece to the linebacker room and to this roster. Tennessee is reaping the benefit of Brian Jean Mary playing guys like Perry when they were young. Inge said he will do the same with his young guys like Spillman.

In the secondary, it’s about figuring it out. That’s why coaches make a lot of money. It’s to figure out your best five as it relates to talent and experience, blend it and make it work. Obviously all eyes are on Boo Carter and how settled he gets at star after the injury to Jourdan Thomas. Carter makes plays bout how sound is he in a scrimmage setting under the lights. What adjustments does Tim Banks want/need to make schematically is how he uses the star position. None of that will be settled Friday night in the scrimmage but that’s obviously the focal point in the back end. The other focal point is at safety where I’m told they are rotating guys more freely with the first and second team defenses than they have over the last three years. It feels like they are settled at corner and have plenty of competition as well as some answers to find in the middle of the field. Star and safety are the storylines on defense between now and NC State.

Offensively

I’m on record and will stay on record in saying I like Chris Brazzell. I liked him in spring practice and I think he has looked good to start fall camp. How is he over the middle when he can get lit up? How is he when it gets physical? We will see, but the guy can run routes well. He has good hands and he was productive at Tulane. I think he will fit in well here. Chas Nimrod is an improved player. Physically, he’s very different and the best thing he’s doing right now is showing up every day. I have said it and will continue to say, with the depth at that position you don’t want to miss time. Nimrod is taking advantage with Mike Matthews limited and Donte Thornton limited with some muscle strains.

I wouldn’t get Bru McCoy hit till the Chattanooga game, but he wants some scrimmage reps. Will be interesting to see how they manage him in that regard.

Bottom line is I think they will be fine receiver.

For me all eyes are on the running backs the next couple of weeks starting on Friday night. I can’t imagine Dylan Sampson gets much work if any in the scrimmage. Cam Seldon isn’t cleared for contact which means Desean Bishop, Peyton Lewis and Khalifa Keith are in the spotlight. I know Bishop is a walk on which means it’s bad if he plays according to many, but the guy is productive. In high school, he wasn’t flashy he was productive. He’s doing everything he can to take full advantage of the opportunity in front of him.

I’m pretty bullish on Lewis. Maybe not as much as Austin is, but I like how he looks physically. I’m very curious to hear the feed back on him Friday night. How far along is he mentally in the offense is still what he has to prove.

At tight end, they are all pretty. Now how dirty can they get from a physicality standpoint. Ole Miles Kitselman is a great addition to that room. He’s not the flashiest guy at all. Ethan Davis and Holden Staes are better looking athletes in space, but Kitselman is a guy who has been bloodied in this league. I think that’s important for not only how he can help on the field, but for how he can help in the tight end room with the adjustment to this league for Staes and for the development of Davis. I think if they remain healthy they can be solid at that key position.

On the offensive line, I have said it for a couple of months, I more concerned about them finding a back up center which they haven’t been able to do for two years then I am about left guard. I think they will be fine at guard even if they are rotating a couple of guys. John Campbell is a bit limited but should be fine. I am impressed with Campbell’s engagement on the practice field and how he has tried to help some of the younger tackles including a guy like Larry Johnson, who’s playing better than he ever has. For me the story of the offensive line for camp is where are those young guys and who could help if needed this fall. Those freshmen got bloodied in the spring and are still getting bloodied but those guys are pretty technically sound. Max Anderson looks like he was well coached in high school and so was Bennett Warren. There’s something to be encouraged about with those young guys for the future. The key is to keep them engaged which is why you gotta play them when opportunities present themselves. My biggest offensive line surprise is Jesse Perry. Coming out of the single wing in high school, I thought he would be miles away but he is a quick learner and has really improved in a hurry.

Lastly, there’s plenty to like about Nico. He’s done nothing to slow down the hype train surrounding him. He’s far from perfect and they gotta protect him, but he looks like you want your quarterback to look.

There’s lots of work for this team to get done over the next three weeks. Rep management is a real thing to keep guys healthy and not beat up. This coaching staff has to be smart about that. I think it’s interesting that coach Heupel has built in more camp off days than in previous years. I think that’s all about management of your roster and it’s a little easier do when are experienced in places the way they are.
-Hubbs

Sign of the times we live in now. There will be plenty of big-time stadiums that eventually receive name changes.
It will happen at Neyland so get ready. If TBA’s name was worth $20 million, Neyland’s might be $50 million or more. And with all the renovations happening on campus they need every dollar they can get

I’ll add- it feels like we are getting back to a point where we can win games straight up- much different than the feeling that we’d have to use smoke and mirrors to win like we have at times in the past.

Match that upgrade in athleticism and talent with an elite scheme and it’s time to start eyeing those dusty barrels in the back of the storehouse. We’re getting closer to having a need for something special to toast with.

@drvenner
Cow farts come from the dairy air.

I'll see myself out.
giphy.gif

August 6, 1945
US drops the first Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima, Japan.

After President Roosevelt died on April 12th, 1945, it became Harry Truman’s job to decide how to end the war. The thought of invading Japan gave Truman and his advisors pause. The war had shown that the Japanese were fighting for the Emperor who convinced them that it was better to die than surrender. Women and children had been taught how to kill with basic weapons. Japanese kamikaze pilots could turn planes into guided missiles. The cost of invasion, they knew, would be high.

Upon becoming president, Harry Truman learned of the Manhattan Project, a secret scientific effort to create an atomic bomb. After a successful test of the weapon, Truman issued the Potsdam Declaration demanding the unconditional surrender of the Japanese government, warning of “prompt and utter destruction.” Eleven days later, on August 6, 1945, having received no reply, an American bomber called the Enola Gay left the Tinian Island in route toward Japan. In the belly of the bomber was “Little Boy,” an atomic bomb. At 8:15 am Hiroshima time, “Little Boy” was dropped. The result was approximately 80,000 deaths in just the first few minutes. Thousands died later from radiation sickness.

1722967777443.png

VN Store

Back