Recruiting Football Talk VIII

The wife and I want to get life insurance. But I have 0 knowledge of companies or the best way to go about any of that. If y’all have any advice or experience that would be greatly appreciated.
We are fortunate enough that I work and she doesn’t have too. But a friend recently passed and left his family with nothing.
I am 33 and healthy. Regular blood work and doctor visits.
Message me. tennesseegolfer33@gmail.com

I’m a Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC), Certified Life Underwriter (CLU), and have my Life, Health, Property, & Casualty licenses.

So what you're saying is don't have kids in case your spouse dies? We're talking about young people here, who asked about insurance while they have kids. And, it seems you've got savings. If you pay off a house and don't have savings, you can't pay for that A/C work. Was that you or someone else that said $30k a year was enough if no house payment? Because that's earning about $40,000 or so and leaves $2,500 a month for all expenses for a family? Sure, if it's just you and your wife and you're frugal, maybe that works. But a young family who loses their primary earner unexpectedly?
I’ve got low end savings and paid off the A/C borrowing against a 401 k. That’s my stopping point. I weighed in only after seeing the statement that making $50 k take home pay isn’t enough WITH a paid off house. As for surviving a spouse? I have first hand experience. Insurance could have paid off the remaining mortgage balance but I took care of my daughter first and refinanced for a lower monthly payment. House is currently worth 3x what I originally financed and that’s a nice retirement fund…even tho I don’t plan to retire until after I’m 70. And I don’t have 3-4 children, but I had a 15 year old daughter when my wife died, and have since added a step-daughter and grandson in my second marriage. Not everybody has the same story or same struggles so I’ll abide by my stopping point.

Well he only asked about life insurance so there’s that. And you did recommend a lot of other insurance before an emergency fund and debt reduction. For umbrella liability, is there even anything to insure? Do you know what’s subject to liability and what’s not? How come you touched on life, home and auto, and umbrella, but not disability or health (both of which are far more likely to be claimed - and not necessarily provided through work). How come you didn’t reference power of attorney in the biblical mindset preparation line of thought?

Sorry to harp, or appear argumentative, but it’s kind of my wheelhouse so I feel obligated to chime in. Your hearts in the right place and the advice you give may not actually be wrong. I’m glad you’re using your financial planning knowledge. I’m just saying maybe reaching out or provide a referral to a qualified individual you trust could be more impactful. Otherwise you risk your advice being taken at face value while incomplete, or not being relevant and then what’s the point of typing all this out?

If you’d like, I developed a financial planning basics checklist for disseminating to the public population I don’t have the time to otherwise try to access, and I’d be happy to share with you. Its about a safe a rules of thumb style material I could come up with, one page front and back, covers near everything that an “average” individual may want to give thought to if they are doing introductory financial planning for themselves and don’t have access to a trustworthy fiduciary.
Ok dude. I told him to seek out a fiduciary. If you are one and want to help him out with a referral then go for it. I was just trying to be helpful. I hope he doesn't make life changing decisions based on a random message board posters recommendations. Thanks for your input.

Well he only asked about life insurance so there’s that. And you did recommend a lot of other insurance before an emergency fund and debt reduction. For umbrella liability, is there even anything to insure? Do you know what’s subject to liability and what’s not? How come you touched on life, home and auto, and umbrella, but not disability or health (both of which are far more likely to be claimed - and not necessarily provided through work). How come you didn’t reference power of attorney in the biblical mindset preparation line of thought?

Sorry to harp, or appear argumentative, but it’s kind of my wheelhouse so I feel obligated to chime in. Your hearts in the right place and the advice you give may not actually be wrong. I’m glad you’re using your financial planning knowledge. I’m just saying maybe reaching out or provide a referral to a qualified individual you trust could be more impactful. Otherwise you risk your advice being taken at face value while incomplete, or not being relevant and then what’s the point of typing all this out?

If you’d like, I developed a financial planning basics checklist for disseminating to the public population I don’t have the time to otherwise try to access, and I’d be happy to share with you. Its about a safe a rules of thumb style material I could come up with, one page front and back, covers near everything that an “average” individual may want to give thought to if they are doing introductory financial planning for themselves and don’t have access to a trustworthy fiduciary.
IMG_8145.gif

A Serb did...Gavrilo Prencip.

A absolute nobody that is almost singlehandedly responsible for most of the 💩 that's happened over the last 110 years.

It is nuts when you delve into how different the world would be now if not for that one dude.
The butterfly effect is both terrifying and fascinating. All because of one man, we have anime, United States as a global superpower, nuclear weapons and men walking on the moon.

Slightly different circumstances would have had vastly different results....it wasn't just the assassination.
I get it. There were many assassinations in that time that didn’t lead to much of anything. But, JMO, the cultural, political, and economic climate in Europe at that time made such a conflict unavoidable.

Many, many variables. If my wife or I had passed away in the last 6 years, we would have to spend money on childcare, which we otherwise didn’t. Those costs have gone up. Benefits or taxes taken from check. Groceries for 4 kids, extra curricular activities, home maintenance costs (I mow my own yard, but my wife wouldn’t), car note, eventual college costs. Starts to all add up.

It certainly helps later in life when you don’t have some of these costs. I want my wife and kids to continue to have our standard of living if I die. Just my preference.
You know your Social Security doles out over $1000 per surviving child under 18?

VN Store

Back