Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Not to you Jack, but I was in the workforce, while helping to raise my son, do the outside and inside upkeep, transport my son back and forth to school and after school sports and extracurricular stuff for him and his friends. I loved it, then I found myself in a crappy divorce. Then I found myself with a very bitter and angry 15 year old, working 2 jobs and going to school at night for over a year to support us both, we’re more than baby makers and keeping house as you alluded to. I refuse to post to Ten Titans, it’s insulting. Thank goodness my son turned out to be a very upstanding human, father and husband.

We love the independent women over here…keep that same energy throughout your course of life🫶🏽
@Orangeredblooded

1722060899411.gif

The idea that you can compare the monetization and NIL value of a top 100 recruit to a collective to an ad sponsorship at a car dealership is ridiculous. The moment you said players could sell their market value you completely miss the market of being a winning player to a fan base. You cannot compare that or cap that in relation to cookie sales.
5 star freshly signed recruit at the sto: Do you take Weigels dollars?

I hesitate to mention, but the FF actually has a thought provoking thread:

Which 3 ex-Vols would make the best rugby players?

Idk a lot about rugby, other than they have trench warfare during the scrum, then it's about speed and pass/catch ability on offense and tracking/toughness on defense.

My 3 are:

1) Jamal Lewis
2) Jalen Hurd
3) CP3

Guess I'm offensive minded.

But I'd pay 2 tickets to the Chattanooga game ($500) just to see peak Al Wilson on the rugby pitch one time 🤣
So many variables at play here that we don’t really know who would be best. For instance, when I played in college at MTSU, we one year had the starting safety and starting TE of the MTSU football team both come and play rugby in the spring of their senior year when their football career was over. We were a solid squad, made it to the playoffs every year I was there and played against a few guys that are now playing for the USA 7s Rugby team and are playing in the olympics right now. From a physicality standpoint, both of these former football players we had come and play with us would put those guys to shame. From a technical standpoint and all around game, the guys playing in the Olympics right now would put them to shame. You need to not only be big, strong and fast, but you better be able to catch, pass, kick (unless you are a forward), and tackle. If you can do all of those and have the freak physical ability like a Jamal Lewis had like you mentioned, then yeah.. they’d be so much fun to watch play rugby.

That said, if I’m choosing blindly just based off their football skills and not knowing if they would have the all around skills for rugby, I’m taking:

1) CP - Just put that dude on the wing and let him get the ball in space. If he can tackle decently, he’d actually probably be a better 7s rugby player than a 15s rugby player.

2) Eric Berry - If I’m thinking of a guy whose skills would translate to rugby really well, here he is. I think he’d be a complete fullback. He can tackle really well, can cover space, has great hands.. the only thing that’s questionable is can he kick? To play fullback he’d need to be able to kick as good as a punter. Imagine Aussie style punting.. he needs to be able to do that. I have no doubts he could become competent in it if he had time.

3) Juaun Jennings - this one is a little more outside of the box. I just think about JJs ability to be an absolute menace to tackle and the fact that he played safety and QB in high school so he has some technical abilities beyond just being a good WR. I think he’d make a fun centre back to watch in rugby. Probably be a little undersized at that position but the way he is, you’d think he was the biggest at his position, Not only will he want to run you over every carry he has, but I have no doubts that he would absolutely love the chance to hit someone too.

Reactions: Devo182
I also had to ignore BOT, because he’s a never ending bag of confusion.

He just can’t follow logic or conversation at all.
It’s ridiculous how he can’t grasp anything! Haha.
Yeah he follows me too, and even @ me😂

But , Jacker is funny.
I’ve never seen someone get so angry at actual football talk in a football forum. Maybe he should try Christianmingle.com or something, I’m definitely not interested in whatever he’s trying to strike up.

People make a variety of lifestyle choices with varying degrees of success. What you're calling black and white, I would call a tried and true template for a meaningful and full life. I think people should do what the people before them have done unless they have a good reason not to. That's just a statement on the fact that men and women are not the same in the aggregate. They value different things. They find different things meaningful, and they have different skills. In the aggregate. Which is all we can really talk about considering we are not talking about any individual in particular here. A society should have some flexibility in gender roles, obviously. What we have now is a level of freedom from gender roles that lets young adults go all the way down roads that will make their future selves miserable. And they are miserable. More depressed and anxious than ever.

I also don't accept your presupposition that home making is some second rate menial job. So I don't see encouraging girls and young women to adopt those roles as some sort of insult as it is commonly interpreted now. That last sentence is just wild to me. I'm guessing you treasure your daughter orders of magnitude more than you treasure your job, yet you would tell her to prioritize her job over her future family. I would think and hope that advice is antithetical to your own experience.

You don't get homemaker women by telling them to "Stay in the house, clean, and push out babies" or whatever disrespectful thing you said. As if that's all women are good for or something. You end up with home makers when you tell them "Hey, the most important thing in your life will be your family, and you would be well served to prioritize that over a job." Which is also true for most men, and advice I would give to my kids or any kids, either sex. It just so happens most men will fall into the role of provider, and most women will become home makers. Unless you completely denigrate one of those and act like being a State Farm adjustor in a cubicle is some shining beacon on a hill or something.
My wife stays at home caring for our little boys. She gets to pour Scripture, knowledge, wisdom, and love into their hearts day-by-day, while I spend my days writing code and building ML models to benefit companies no one will give a darn about in a hundred years.

Some would call that her taking a backseat to my career, but spend a week in our life and it’s so obvious that she’s the one with the work that’s gonna make the difference in the long run, and I’m merely funding/enabling her incredible life-changing career. We couldn’t be happier about it.

So many variables at play here that we don’t really know who would be best. For instance, when I played in college at MTSU, we one year had the starting safety and starting TE of the MTSU football team both come and play rugby in the spring of their senior year when their football career was over. We were a solid squad, made it to the playoffs every year I was there and played against a few guys that are now playing for the USA 7s Rugby team and are playing in the olympics right now. From a physicality standpoint, both of these former football players we had come and play with us would put those guys to shame. From a technical standpoint and all around game, the guys playing in the Olympics right now would put them to shame. You need to not only be big, strong and fast, but you better be able to catch, pass, kick (unless you are a forward), and tackle. If you can do all of those and have the freak physical ability like a Jamal Lewis had like you mentioned, then yeah.. they’d be so much fun to watch play rugby.

That said, if I’m choosing blindly just based off their football skills and not knowing if they would have the all around skills for rugby, I’m taking:

1) CP - Just put that dude on the wing and let him get the ball in space. If he can tackle decently, he’d actually probably be a better 7s rugby player than a 15s rugby player.

2) Eric Berry - If I’m thinking of a guy whose skills would translate to rugby really well, here he is. I think he’d be a complete fullback. He can tackle really well, can cover space, has great hands.. the only thing that’s questionable is can he kick? To play fullback he’d need to be able to kick as good as a punter. Imagine Aussie style punting.. he needs to be able to do that. I have no doubts he could become competent in it if he had time.

3) Juaun Jennings - this one is a little more outside of the box. I just think about JJs ability to be an absolute menace to tackle and the fact that he played safety and QB in high school so he has some technical abilities beyond just being a good WR. I think he’d make a fun centre back to watch in rugby. Probably be a little undersized at that position but the way he is, you’d think he was the biggest at his position, Not only will he want to run you over every carry he has, but I have no doubts that he would absolutely love the chance to hit someone too.
Will Bartholomew, I think he did play rugby. Maybe I'm confusing him for another UT player that played rugby.

Bravo! Now get a pro to redo it.
I wonder what a vinyl wrap would look like on the rock?

I think we should get an awesome graphic printed on a wrap and wrap the rock one time. If it turns out good, I bet a local car wrapper would do it for the publicity, maybe cost of materials.

But then you'd be hurting the "paint the rock" tradition.

I really just want to see what a wrap would look like on it one time, 😂

I think Heupel needs to appoint a paint czar to make sure the rock looks like Da Vinci got ahold of it whenever a big time recruit visits.
I think Heupel is busy with the actual football stuff. Some DW underling needs to draft an actual art student or two to bling out the Rock for visits like this.

Not to you Jack, but I was in the workforce, while helping to raise my son, do the outside and inside upkeep, transport my son back and forth to school and after school sports and extracurricular stuff for him and his friends. I loved it, then I found myself in a crappy divorce. Then I found myself with a very bitter and angry 15 year old, working 2 jobs and going to school at night for over a year to support us both, we’re more than baby makers and keeping house as you alluded to. I refuse to post to Ten Titans, it’s insulting. Thank goodness my son turned out to be a very upstanding human, father and husband.
I just don't know who (other than extremely isolated, rare instances, almost always hiding on social media) thinks women are only baby makers and house keepers. I've literally never met a human who believes that way.

LA took off because he had some beef with Danny White's hiring of Kim Caldwell and he kind of got up in his feelings about it when people called him on it iirc. Was weird to begin with an no reason to take off imo but no reason to stay gone either. It's just not that serious, to stay gone all year.
The LV fans who got upset (and there are many) about White firing Kellie and hiring Kim are a weird bunch. That crew is very cultish. Winning is a secondary (or tertiary) objective to them. They’d just as soon let the formerly most iconic program in the sport stay average in order to make sure “one of Pat’s girls” is in charge.

And that’s the last thing Pat…one of the most intense competitors, to whom winning was like breathing…would want for the program she built. I want all of those people up move on. They’re cancerous.

Is it really “dealing” with anyone though? If they bother you (not YOU) that much, just ignore them and enjoy conversation with you reasonable fellow Vol fans
Thanks for clearing that up.

… and nice post. I don’t understand why people expose their insecurities on an anonymous message board by trying to discredit others. Get a real life

I would call Tony a great passing QB who could run very well. His feel for the game was incredible. At his best and healthy, I’d put him up there with any QB in UT history.
I would too, but they were talking about running quarterbacks at UT. Tony could sling it, he had great long ball accuracy. GBO!

Reactions: WesTnVol

VN Store

Back